HP Printer Cartridge 1/2 day in 2 weeks!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 21, 2017
I know that they don't have a lot of life but this is ridiculous! This is a home computer and I still have more than 1/2 of a ream of 500 sheet paper left. I've had this ream of paper thru two other black cartridges.

I have tried to reach their Facebook messenger support line to no avail.

They do not have just an email address to write to them. This is not that big a deal but it is highway robbery that less than 2 weeks it is gone. I use draft, black and white (no color at all)

Any assistance or just an email to write for some resolution like another cartridge, better yet an XL cartridge.

Thanks. You provide such a valuable service.

Phyllis

Jan 6, 2015
We have a Company Contacts link at the top of this page, but no listing for HP. If you will click here you can request those from our research team.

In the meantime, here are some links I think you will find helpful ...

An example of the "yield" for one HP printer is here. On that page the first entry indicates 210 pages for that black cartridge. You should be able to search and find the specs for yours as well.
However, if you click here, this site clarifies as follows:

How many pages per ink / toner – Quick calculation
"A quick calculation to get a rough idea of how many pages your cartridge will print is to take the manufacturer stated capacity or page yield and divide it by 100, then multiply by 15. As the manufacturer capacity is based on 5% of the page being covered in ink or toner and we generally print at more like 10 – 15% coverage, this will give you a more accurate value compared to the manufacturer stated amount."

They also have a link in that paragraph to help you find your printer.​

Using that as a guide, they are saying just 30 pages for the printer in the link I posted for a certain model of HP printer. I would expect more. but even at 100 pages, a regular cartridge (vs an XL) would have used two (2) in the 1/2 ream you indicated.

I have used HP printers for 20 years, and have found two ways to get more from their cartridges: buy the XL (it has roughly 3 times the ink), and upgrade to a new printer every 3 years or so (as HP becomes more efficient in their designs - at least I hope so).

Last edited:

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Jul 16, 2016
How do you know it is out of ink? Never depend on the warnings that pop up telling you are low, from experience they can start when I still have 50% of my ink left. I run those suckers until I am printing on fumes (but purchase my next one so I am ready).
But having said that, I have occasionally found a bad cartridge that prints very little, stops, and when I open up my printer I can tell by weight there is still lots of ink left.
The regular cartridges for me are $15 (XL are $29, a MUCH better deal as they really do print far more pages) so I usually just curse and stick in a new one when that happens, but you might consider taking it back where you purchased and complaining if it has not been that long (and you have a receipt of proof of purchase?)
Also, I have noticed if I am away for 3+ weeks without printing, things go wrong more often, just a guess that something may dry out (Epson was horrible this way), so you might not be printing regularly enough?

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Did you buy it on Ebay perhaps? You may have gotten a "starter" cartridge that comes with a new printer. Typically the starters are only about half the capacity of a regular one.

Feb 9, 2016
I ALWAYS take my ink cartridge out of the machine, walk out to my lawn, and shake it. Shaking it redistributes the ink in the cartridge. When I put it back in I get a LOT more prints.

just make sure you go outside in case any ink splatters.

Ive had the same cartridge for 20 years, lol

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I ALWAYS take my ink cartridge out of the machine, walk out to my lawn, and shake it. Shaking it redistributes the ink in the cartridge. When I put it back in I get a LOT more prints.

just make sure you go outside in case any ink splatters.

Ive had the same cartridge for 20 years, lol
I'm not sure about 20 years, but your advice is very good and I will try it next time.

Printer carts have got to be the biggest scandal ever. All the companies do it, often you can't continue printing even tho there's lots of ink left.

My favorite is my Epson, with the 4 little carts in 4 colors. I never print in color, never. But gee whiz, those little carts need replacing often. I am delighted to read about the Brother laser, Techno, last laser I bought is a Brother, it cost hundreds of dollars but it's been totally reliable for at least ten years and is only now on it's second cartridge. I would LOVE to beat these greedy companies at their own game.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I'm not sure about 20 years, but your advice is very good and I will try it next time.

Printer carts have got to be the biggest scandal ever. All the companies do it, often you can't continue printing even tho there's lots of ink left.

My favorite is my Epson, with the 4 little carts in 4 colors. I never print in color, never. But gee whiz, those little carts need replacing often. I am delighted to read about the Brother laser, Techno, last laser I bought is a Brother, it cost hundreds of dollars but it's been totally reliable for at least ten years and is only now on it's second cartridge. I would LOVE to beat these greedy companies at their own game.
We specifically bought an Epson because of this. Now we only have to replace one color not a whole cartridge that might have plenty of blue or yellow but just needs red.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
We specifically bought an Epson because of this. Now we only have to replace one color not a whole cartridge that might have plenty of blue or yellow but just needs red.
Maybe I wasn't clear ... I don't use ANY of the colors. I only print in black.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
I have a plain old b&w HP laser printer. The cartridge lasts for a year. HP1020 if you can find a used one.

Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
Brother has a dirt cheap color laser printer - under $200 - and the full size cartridges are about $160 for 4 - so a full featured color laster for $360- that'll be less than a free printer and cartridges for 2 reams of paper!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
To our letter writer- did you take the cartridge back to where you bought it with the receipt and try to exchange it? Most stores would be able to see you just bought the cartridge and allow you to exchange it for another one.

Maybe this one was just past it’s sell by date.