How To Protect Yourself When Renting A Car

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2016
Neil,
INSUREMYRENTALCAR.COM has some inexpensive policies which are primary insurance as opposed to secondary insurance which is what you get with most credit card coverage but they do not offer additional liability insurance...does anybody know of a company that does (other than your personal auto insurance liability)
mjs

Jul 3, 2016
My wife and I are headed to Nashville, TN (flying) and then we are renting a car to drive to Smoky Mtn National Park. I had a car reserved at Enterprise (off airport site; about 1.5 miles from airport) for less than $200 for a week but when I read the contract in full it said that we would have to pay the airport fees if we had arrived in Nashville by air in the last 24 hours. When I called the rental site I was told to 'lie about how you came to Nashville" and that we would not get charged the fees...this all sounded a little fishy to me so I cancelled the rental...I'm still looking for a decent rental price at the airport but haven't found one for less than $270 for std car. Any suggestions from any readers/moderators?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, we cannot make recommendations here.

Have you tried pricing through any aggregator sites such as Kayak to find the best prices? Are you AAA or AARP member? You can sometimes find deals through them as well.

If you use an aggregator site, don't book through them, simply use them for pricing and go directly to the car rental site.

Jul 3, 2016
Some of the aggregate sites have some really low prices when you compare them to sites like autoslash.com. I think expedia had a kia sorento suv for total price of $250 from the nashville airport...seemed to be a little to good to be true to me.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Perhaps I was unclear in my first post regarding the capital one venture card...I did not clarify that I was referring to renting a car in the USA and not in another country.
This is a good distinction, MJ. We all know about the difference in insurance requirements between domestic and international, but we need to be sure our readers know this too.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My wife and I are headed to Nashville, TN (flying) and then we are renting a car to drive to Smoky Mtn National Park. I had a car reserved at Enterprise (off airport site; about 1.5 miles from airport) for less than $200 for a week but when I read the contract in full it said that we would have to pay the airport fees if we had arrived in Nashville by air in the last 24 hours. When I called the rental site I was told to 'lie about how you came to Nashville" and that we would not get charged the fees...this all sounded a little fishy to me so I cancelled the rental...I'm still looking for a decent rental price at the airport but haven't found one for less than $270 for std car. Any suggestions from any readers/moderators?
Like many, I book through Costco and find the savings to be quite substantial, every rental. I booked through Hotwire once and it worked out fine, but I was so nervous about the rental that it wasn't worth it. Lots of people swear by AAA.

Jul 3, 2016
I'm not a Costco member but do belong to Sam's Club. I looked into renting through them and did not find much of a deal on pricing. So I'm still trying to get a better deal at autoslash.com. Anybody else have any other suggestions. I think my rental at BNA is about $268.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I'm not a Costco member but do belong to Sam's Club. I looked into renting through them and did not find much of a deal on pricing. So I'm still trying to get a better deal at autoslash.com. Anybody else have any other suggestions. I think my rental at BNA is about $268.
For how many days?

A big way to save money is renting at a location other than an airport location. There are tremendous taxes added on renting at the airport.

BUT- you will then have the added expense of a cab from the airport to the rental location and then back when returning. So any savings doing that would have to offset the extra fees you'd be charged.

Nov 16, 2017
Hi Guys, just wanted to thank you for the advice in your Forum on what to do when a rental company tries to stick you with a bogus damage claim. I followed your advice on what to write back and request in the form of proof, and magically they wrote back 2 weeks later saying the claim was closed.! :):):):)

Jan 19, 2018
I know that I am coming a little late to the table on this one but please add to your information about avoiding dynamic currency conversion on foreign car rentals. If you are using a credit card that has no foreign transaction fees you absolutely want to tell the agent (and I add it in writing on the contract) that I want to pay in local currency NOT in the currency of my credit card. For those unfamiliar with the term "dynamic currency conversion" is when the merchant "simplifies" the transaction for you by showing the price in dollars, which is always way more than your credit card would charge you. On a recent car rental in Paris an unsuspecting friend was charged the equivalent of $12 more per day than if he had "paid" in Euros. This practice is done in many places: shops, grocery stores, hotels, etc. However those businesses usual ask you if you want to pay in your own currency. Most people think that it is great and say yes but DON'T DO IT! .The growing problem with car rental companies is that many locations are not disclosing this. On several Hertz/Thrifty/Dollar/ Avis rental contracts seen in France everything is written in French and English except a little (smaller writing) sentence at the very end, on the back page, in French only, states "I agree to pay in the currency of my credit card." Saw this also in New Zealand, but at least it was in English!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Carol, you are correct. When you ask to be charged in US funds, you'll be double charged conversion fees - by the merchants bank and by your own.

We advise our clients to ask how much the equivalent is in US$ but always charge in the local currency.

Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
FYI - on travel insurance. . . .

I bought my annual policy for our one big trip. It had a new 'Car Rental Coverage' option. I decided to see what it covered for $135 . . .

And found a nasty exclusion which basically negated the coverage. It says:

"If You rent a car while on the Trip, and the car is damaged due to collision, theft, vandalism, windstorm, fire, hail, flood or any cause not within Your control while in Your possession. . ."

Think about that for a moment. You are driving and go off the road and burst a tire, or get into any sort of accident where you are not struck by the other car - isn't that totally within your control? And you just lost control? Rear end someone? Run over a pothole or other damage to a vehicle - get a scratch from a bush, tree or even a post box?

It's an interesting exclusion . . . . that I'm sure no one considers until their claim is denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.