1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

How long to wait on a refund from American Airlines?

Discussion in 'American Airlines' started by Kristen, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Kristen

On December 27th I was scheduled to fly out of Dallas to Houston. Of course the tornadoes in my area cause a lot of flights to be cancelled. I was told by a ticketing agent at AA that the EARLIEST they could get me on a flight would be the night of December 31 and that would be flying stand by as all their flights were booked. I could not take that much time off from so I was able to arrange a ride back to Houston. I was then told to request a refund on their website.
    The status has been suck on pending review since Sunday. Is this normal? How long does it typically stay on pending review? Thanks for your help.

2. VoR61

Advocate

In recent situations (non-airline), I have been advised that an appeal can take 60 days. One took a month.

We are also in the holiday season (still) so I would give it at least two weeks

jsn55 likes this.
  3. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

With over 10,000 flights cancelled this week all over the country I'm afraid you are in a very long line of many many passengers needing assistance and refunds. Be patient the is only so much they can do.

jsn55, Nancy, Flywisely and 1 other person like this.
  4. Kristen

I am basically just wanting to know if it is approved or not. Not so much in the need for the money :) Thanks for the help!

5. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Honestly it's unlikely anyone has even looked at it yet. It's been a crazy couple days and they don't even have the staff to answers their phones. Give it a couple weeks for the Holiday/weather nite mare to calm down.

If you want some horrific bedtime reading go onto United Airlines FAcebook page under visitor posts. Oh my people are waiting 3 to 7 hrs in hold for Customer Service only to be disconnected ;)

kenish, jsn55 and Kristen like this.
  6. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

You DID cancel the flight through the airline correct? If you just rented a car Nd never canceled, you are considered a no show and no refund is due.

You need to give it at least one billing cycle to show up on your statement.

jsn55, VoR61 and Kristen like this.
  7. Kristen

Yes. The flight was cancelled. I was never put on another flight. The airline cancelled it on their end. They couldn't even give me a day a flight would be available. American Airlines did cancel it.

Neil likes this.
  8. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Good news. Give it a billing cycle.

Kristen likes this.
  9. GNRMatt

Advocate

You should get your money back with no issues. Given the time of year and the amount of cancellations, there probably is a backlog.

However, it sounds like this was your return flight. If that is the case, and you took your original outbound flight to Dallas, then your refund may not be half of your purchase price. There can be some funny airline math in there.

Neil, jsn55 and VoR61 like this.
  10. Michael K

If you paid with a credit card and submitted the required information, they are required to refund you within 7 business days.

This is in AA's Customer Service Plan, which they are required to follow, and which is driven by regulatory mandates.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customerService/customerCommitment/customerServicePlan.jsp

For all eligible paper and electronic tickets and optional products and services purchased within the U.S. with a credit card or cash, refunds will be provided within 7 business days of receipt of the required refund information. (The credit card refund may take up to two billing cycles before appearing on a credit card statement, so you should contact your credit card company directly to verify receipt of the credit.) Tickets and optional products and services purchased with a check will be refunded within 20 business days of receipt of the required information.
    [...]
    Certain refund requests cannot be accommodated in the time frames discussed above. For example, refunds for lost tickets must be held for 90 days to ensure that they are not found and used. Tickets with adjustments (for example, a customer buys a First Class ticket but actually travels in the main or coach cabin) require that we verify the itinerary and class of service flown, and this can take up to 45 days. Tickets purchased through a wholesaler that include non air portions cannot be processed as they are handled by the tour provider. Tickets that were purchased outside the U.S. require special handling because we must ensure that currency conversion rates are calculated correctly.

11. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

They are required to refund you within 7 days but that doesn't mean it will be in your statement, thus the disclaimer from AA that it can take up to 2 cycles to appear on your account.

However most of the time you'll see it on the first statement. It depends on how backed up AA is dealing with all the paperwork and how complete the paperwork is you provide them with.

VoR61 likes this.