How long can I wait to buy trip insurance?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 23, 2018
We have a cruise in November 2018 and I bought insurance for the cruise. I opted to buy my own airfare and to pay to stay on in the port city on my own dime for 4 days after the cruise. Ok, whew! Here is my question! I am getting ready to buy my airfare (it is very affordable right now); however, I just recently had surgery and I am not able to travel now but will be fine by November. How long after buying the airline tickets can I purchase flight and trip insurance? I think if I purchased insurance now I would be considered a person with a preexisting condition, right?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2015
You "may" be considered that if you experience a medical situation that the insurer deems is related to this surgery. As to the timing of insurance purchases, it varies by policy and insurer. Here are my notes about trip insurance:

Because there are so many coverages and restrictions, I recommend you speak with a travel insurance broker prior to purchasing (see Elliott Article). They know what to ask (that you and I don't) in order to steer you toward the right coverage for your needs. Here are some of the available coverages to consider:
BASIC policies (or "lite" as they are often labeled).[/I] These offer limited coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, travel delays, and baggage issues. But too often they fail to meet the needs of travelers due to their restricted coverages (i.e., covered reasons). COMPREHENSIVE policies can cover one or more of the following as well:​
  • Cancel for Any Reason. Covers 50-75% of your non-refundables depending on the policy
  • Cruise Cancellation. Covers non-refundables not purchased through the cruise line
  • Employment Layoff. Being unemployed is hard enough without a failsafe for trip costs
  • Financial Default. Covers when a travel provider is no longer in business
  • Emergency Medical Evacuation. Costs can be in the tens-of-thousands!
  • Hospital of Choice. Without this you are transported to the nearest facility
  • Pre-existing Medical Waiver. Covers conditions that insurers decide is "pre-existing"
  • Primary Medical. Places the insurer first in line for claims. Eliminates the need to file with your own insurance.
And be aware that there are time restrictions (e.g., sign-up and cancellation periods) with every policy ...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you want to buy a policy that covers pre-existing medical conditions, you must buy usually within 14 - 21 days of the day you make your deposit (or buy your air tickets).

Whether you have a pre-ex condition can depend but you usually need to be able to travel on the day you buy the insurance to be covered for a pre-ex condition. Without being a doctor we can't really tell you if whatever you have surgery for is considered pre-existing.

What you should do is call and ask the insurance company you are considering how to handle this. We sell travel insurance and are not permitted by law to discuss anything about what we think might or might not be covered by buying a policy. That has to be strictly done by the insurance company. So the best place to ask is the company you are considering.

Mar 17, 2015
When I purchase travel insurance, you can add onto the original policy. We have been doing this for years now. We typically have to book the cruise first and get the insurance for around the cruise cost within the 14-21 days (depending on provider) and then add to that policy for travel purchased later, such as excursions, hotels, airfare, and transfers. We also do this within the 14-21 days of paying for the extra items, but we just add it on to our policy. We use independent insurance companies separate from cruise line provided insurance. Since you already purchased insurance, call the provider and see if you can just add on to the existing policy.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When I purchase travel insurance, you can add onto the original policy. We have been doing this for years now. We typically have to book the cruise first and get the insurance for around the cruise cost within the 14-21 days (depending on provider) and then add to that policy for travel purchased later, such as excursions, hotels, airfare, and transfers. We also do this within the 14-21 days of paying for the extra items, but we just add it on to our policy. We use independent insurance companies separate from cruise line provided insurance. Since you already purchased insurance, call the provider and see if you can just add on to the existing policy.
Some of the cruise line insurance doesn’t allow you to add air costs if you haven’t booked the air through the cruise line.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I urge you to work with an insurance broker so you can be assured of having the right coverage. I use a broker in Omaha and have been very happy with his advice and guidance. There are about a million different criteria to cover any eventuality, and I always felt that I needed a professional's opinion of exactly what kind of coverage to purchase.