How is resolving our case going? Have not heard anything from you.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 28, 2021
Dear Elliott Advocay,

It has been since Feb 28, 2021 at 1pm that my husband and I registered with you to help us resolve a fraudulent transaction on Paypal. Have you read our complaint? What can your volunteers actually do to help us? Paypay keeps sending notices and making calls to request us to pay a negative balance on the account yet have not sent us a copy of its investigation in which it says was "authorized"....we had nothing to do with the transaction and they are not listening to us. To my knowledge we have no case number.

Last edited by a moderator:

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
It seems from your post that you submitted a Help Request on www,elliott.org. Today you reached out via the forum, which is a different area of the Consumer Advocacy site. If you wish to pursue this matter on your own (self-advocacy), please provide details so volunteer members can advise.

Reactions: Patina
Feb 28, 2021
I have already provided details about our situation on Feb 28th. Do I have to complete a whole new submission to your advocacy to ask how your assistance with my situation is going?

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
I have already provided details about our situation on Feb 28th. Do I have to complete a whole new submission to your advocacy to ask how your assistance with my situation is going?
You submitted a help request to our direct advocacy help desk, we referred you to our help forum so our advocates can provide you with advice and suggestions on how to try to resolve your issue. Unfortunately, since your issue has to do with your bank account and/or Paypal account being hacked (which is a crime), this is not something where we can mediate a successful resolution. Below is a copy of your submission:

My wife and my bank accounts last week were hacked and frauded by a few companies including Paypal. Paypal made unauthorized payments against our debit card. Neither I nor my wife has made any transactions on my Paypal account for a few years. My wife immediately contacted our bank to block any payments and stop her debit card that was frauded and used with Paypal. My wife contacted Paypal several times regarding 2 charges, one of which was resolved because it was done via Walmart.com but the other charge, which was considerably larger, was not was resolved as Paypal sent me an email stating that the "transactions were not unauthorized and hence couldn't be covered under Paypal Purchase Protection". Neither my wife nor I made any transactions or authorized any transactions on my Paypal account. I have not used my Paypal account since 2016 as indicated by Paypal! My hope is that with your assistance this large transaction can be erased against my Paypal account (as my bank refused to accept the charge). I want to be credited the full amount from that unauthorized transaction.​

May 16, 2018
Something similar has happened to me (and I've been a victim of identity theft), though not via PayPal. Here's what I recommend.

Step 1. File a police report.

Step 2. Freeze all your credit bureau reports. That will prevent further mischief. If you need a loan you can unfreeze them for a day or a week or whatever you need to get your loan, and then slam them shut again. I've had my credit reports frozen for many years and have never had a problem unfreezing for a few days to get a loan.

Step 3. Submit the police report and all of your correspondence where PayPal acknowledged that the charges were fraudulent and unauthorized, and where PayPal acknowledged that you haven't actually used your account since 2016 directly to PayPal's fraud department.
If you don't have that in writing, provide your phone log with dates, times, and hopefully the names of representatives. In my case, I could not get a human to respond via email and so used my phone logs. It was absolutely effective.
In your submission, you must say that these charges were not yours, and that they need to remove them and also desist from dunning you for amounts they know to be fraudulent.

Step 4. Close your PayPal account. You do not need PayPal to exist in the world and do not want them to have access to your bank accounts. The fact that they have dithered for months and their fraud department has not rectified the situation is all the information you need.
If you are desperate to keep this account open then you could go through the whole process that our friends here on this board will recommend, up through the food chain, one at a time. That is an excellent way to go, but if I were you, I would cancel the account given the recent history and worries about future issues.

Step 5. If PayPal tries to ding your credit report, send the police report, your phone logs, PayPal's admissions, etc., to the credit bureaus disputing the negative information, and telling the credit bureaus to immediately remove the false information. The credit bureaus will either remove it or contact PayPal and they will likely remove it. If they don't, there are further avenues with the credit bureaus.

Sorry this is a bit wordy....I'm writing quickly before an appointment. Good luck!

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
You can appeal their decision to the contacts in the following link:

PayPal

do not include attachments - - offer instead to send them upon request
be sure to start at the lowest level and that you give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

Reactions: Barry Graham

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If you chose to contact PP in writing, make a concise list of the facts in chronological order. A situation like yours rests on specific details, PP is not going to take the time to decipher or research what happened. They'll just set your letter aside. It's your job to describe the situation in detail. For instance, this sentence is contradictory:
"My wife contacted Paypal several times regarding 2 charges ... the other charge, which was considerably larger, was not was resolved as Paypal sent me an email ... "
If your wife contacted PP, they would not have sent you an email. These are the kinds of details that are vital to getting this situation solved. Sometimes it helps to compose your email, then give it to someone unfamiliar with the situation ... they can "tell you what you said" to be sure it's crystal clear.