1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I protect myself when booking a vacation rental property

Discussion in 'Vacation Rentals' started by Tricia K., Sep 9, 2016.

1. leanjow

hello Tricia,
    May I know the cost of your whole trip???

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

This thread is over a year old- Tricia hasn't been back here since April to even view it.

A hint- if the last post on a thread is over a month old you can usually assume the person who wrote is no longer reading it and you won't get a response.

VoR61 likes this.
  3. Tricia K.

I believe the airfare was a little over $4K (with two of us flying from Minneapolis and the other two from JFK, all on Economy Comfort), the apartment rental was 2000 euros after they refunded the security deposit. We had a great time. The apartment was within walking distance of the Coliseum and had a beautiful garden balcony that we enjoyed every morning. Our only real challenge was having to ask the caretaker to turn the air conditioning on as my daughter was struggling with allergies and needed some relief. The caretaker was a bit nosy and used Rome's trash issues as an excuse to come into the apartment every day.

4. Tricia K.

True Neil. I had every intention of coming back to share my experience (overall quite good) and to thank everyone for their input, but between massive damage to our house from a hail storm in June, a few other trips (including a trip to Ireland last month with my college roommate) and depression rearing it's ugly head, I've found it best to stay away from social media. My apologies as I credit what I've learned on this site with making our trip a success. The research, trip insurance and taking steps to protect the money I had to pay in advance for the apartment took away my anxieties and I was able to enjoy the days leading up to the trip and not just the trip itself, so in case you think the work you all do here doesn't matter, I'm telling you it does. As for Rome, if you get to go, splurge on the Vespa foodie tour. You will see parts of Rome not mentioned in the guide books and you will not need to eat for a month -- although you will. That very night.

Neil, Carrie Livingston and Patina like this.
  5. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

You have a wonderful attitude, Tricia, and I'm delighted to hear that the trip was a success. I'm glad someone "jogged" your thread so we were able to read the results. It's extremely gratifying to us when a traveller comes back to tell us we made a difference. Thanks so much!

6. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I'm happy you came back to update us and if we helped you enjoy your trip more.
    Yes, I've been to Italy but never did the Vespa tour - will have to recommend it to our clients.

7. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

I'm laughing ... I wouldn't even drive a HUMMER in Italy, let alone a Vespa. Those dudes are nuts behind the wheel all over Italy, even the little villages.

Neil and Patina like this.
  8. Tricia K.

The only one they let drive a Vespa was my husband because he had motorcycle experience. Because I walk with a cane, they used a special three seater unit that the tour guide drove and the rest of us sat in. I’m sure it was a little disappointing for my daughter and her boyfriend, but once we started eating, I didn’t hear any complaints. One caution: the Vespa foodie tour is very pricey, but given it’s three plus hours of touring Rome as well as some of the best local food you’ll ever have, it is well worth it. We didn’t spend much on things this trip. Just experiences.

mmb, Neil and Carrie Livingston like this.
  9. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Sounds wonderful!