How can I get Frontier to reimburse me for expenses incurred due to a lost bag?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 12, 2016
Frontier lost my daughter in laws bag for 52 hours causing them to miss 2 nights of their honeymoon in Jamaica. At the last minute her carry on bag was checked in so they could sight see during a 7 hour lay over. Her carry on bag contained her passport. It was a horrible experience. Frontier is not taking any responsibility for expenses incurred due to their negligence. The customer service was horrible and after multiple calls and several mixed messages the bag arrived. No one even call us, as promised. I was told that they would cover the expenses. I mailed all the documentation (signed receipt) and they said they are not responsible for expenses incurred due to the lost bag. I found out that they have no tracking/scanning system for luggage. I also have pictures of the reclaimed luggage area when I went to pick up the bag. The huge room was packed full, the door was unlocked, and it was unattended. I waited 10 minutes for an employee to show up. I had the employee sign a letter with all the facts from our experience including verifying the unlocked unattended office. I don't fly often but with the TSA regulations and the security wouldn't you think leaving bags without an employee manning the office should be a concern? My expenses were documented and realistic. Any suggestions to get someone to help at Frontier?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They are responsible up to a certain amount for delayed bags. Did she have receipts for what she had to purchase for the first few days? They will repay for incidentals but not for full wardrobe purchases.

Did she follow all these instructions with reporting? I notice that Frontier is sneaky and doesn't put what the limits are.

https://www.flyfrontier.com/travel-
information/baggage/?mobile=true

These are the DOT rules for delayed baggage so they have to reimburse you for some of what she bought.

• If your bags don't come off the conveyor belt, report this to airline personnel before you leave the airport. Insist that they create a report and give you a copy, even if they say the bag will be in on the next flight. Get an appropriate phone number for following up (not the Reservations number). Don't assume that the airline will deliver the bag without charge when it is found; ask the airline about this. Most carriers set guidelines for their airport employees that allow them to disburse some money at the airport for emergency purchases. The amount depends on whether or not you're away from home and how long it takes to track down your bags and return them to you. If the airline does not provide you a cash advance, it may still reimburse you later for the purchase of necessities. Discuss with the carrier the types of articles that would be reimbursable, and keep all receipts. If the airline misplaces sporting equipment, it will sometimes pay for the rental of replacements. For replacement clothing or other articles, the carrier might offer to absorb only a portion of the purchase cost, on the basis that you will be able to use the new items in the future. (The airline may agree to a higher reimbursement if you turn the articles over to them.)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Unfortunately, AMA is right about the passport; I assume she just forgot that it was in her carryon. A mistake only made once by a traveller. Frontier is a no-frills airline, they probably think they did enough just finding the bag. From our experience, third-party complaints are routinely ignored; your DIL needs to follow up per Neil's instructions. It will take patience and persistence.

R

Realitoes

Her carry on bag contained her passport.

Why in the world didn't she get her passport out of her bag before they gate-checked it? That is completely on her, not Frontier.
AMA, interesting how you assume she gate checked it! ;) Sounds like she purposely checked it in to sight see during their lay over.

But AMA is correct, important documents/papers and expensive items are excluded from liability in the airlines conditions of carriage. These items should always be carried on the aircraft with the individual. Your chances are extremely slim of getting Frontier to cover any monetary loss due to the passport being checked in, even if you took this to court.

What they can and should be reimbursing you for are incidental charges related to the delay and reimbursement for items lost (clothing and such).

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Ah....I figured it was a last-minute seizure because all the overhead bins were full!

At the last minute her carry on bag was checked in so they could sight see during a 7 hour lay over.

Feb 9, 2016
oh wow, how completely unfortunate!

Thing is, your daughter decided to allow her passport to become part of the checked luggage. That was the first mis step in the chain of events that unfolded.

She is entitled to the standard compensation for lost luggage (incidentals, etc). She is not entitled to be compensated because her decision caused the extra issues.

Ugh, that really sucks :(

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If Frontier doesn't do anything, she should file a complaint with the DOT but she needs to go up the chain at Frontier.

I suggest she sends Frontier a copy of the DOT ruling stating that they need to reimburse for incidental purchases for lost or delayed bags and she needs to make copies of all her receipts for what she bought.

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publications/flyrights.htm#baggage

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I checked my cell phone by accident once at JFK. It happens. I realized 5-10 minutes later and they pulled the bag out for me. It took about an hour and they said they would never do it again. I'm glad she got her bag. She deserves 2 days of necessities. She should send the receipts for toiletries, swimsuit, a couple changes of clothes, etc.

kenish

Verified Member
Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
@llfrazee - Can you provide a few more details? I'm having trouble understanding your original post since Frontier doesn't fly to Jamaica. What route and airline was each flight on between home and Jamaica? What city had the 7-hour connection? Where was the baggage room where the missing bag turned up?

I assume the 2 lost days was because they couldn't board the flight to Jamaica without the passport?

Thanks!

May 17, 2016
Her carry on bag contained her passport.

Why in the world didn't she get her passport out of her bag before they gate-checked it? That is completely on her, not Frontier.
Agreed. A passport should be another body appendage--like an arm or leg.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
But we shouldn't expect others to pay for them.
True, but OPs should expect us to help them when they make a mistake. We can certainly educate, but there's no need to keep reminding an OP that they are responsible for the problem. We want to help them solve the problem.