How about a FAQ for credit cards and/or FF related things

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 12, 2015
It occurred to me reading Elliott's column this morning that FAQ entries on choosing credit cards (FF or not) would be nice addition and very useful for consumers. Like travel insurance there's lots of confusing fine print and helping folks wade through some of it could be of use.
Also one on how to approach FF mileage programs could be of great use as well. No need to get detailed but some outlines of where they are very problematic and when they can be useful would be good.
Not sure where these suggestions are made and so am posting here.
Column: http://elliott.org/is-this-a-scam/c...checked-bag-is-free-and-so-is-everyone-elses/

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It's a great idea, but I don't know how we would be able to research the details of the thousands of credit cards available ... perhaps we could do a listing with the highlights of each one? Tell people where to go for all the details?

As for loyalty programs, both airline and hotel, that would be good information to research as well. LOTS of information and the scope may be outside our abilities ... but you never know!

We'd have to look around and see if anyone were already doing this. The Points Guy publishes lots about credit cards tied to loyalty programs, for instance.

Mar 25, 2015
cali
i guess at the most basic level people should look at the yearly fee vs what they would actually use the card for.
After my husband's surgery (i think that is what triggered this) i took out a line of credit and paid it back in less then a year so i started getting a massive amount of ads for credit cards with a 40k- 100k limit if i paid 400-500 a year. yeah no thanks.
So when i hear people paying a yearly fee for the chance to get a free bag or miles- how did they determine it was even worth it?

Oct 12, 2015
Thanks for the feedback. Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting making recommendations about specific cards, etc. More how to approach getting a credit card. And how to approach a FF program. For example,
CREDIT CARD FAQ
  • FICO and you
  • Credit vs. debit cards
  • How to keep from being burned by credit
  • Banks and Credit unions
  • How credit cards make money for banks
  • Yearly membership fees
  • Disputing charges, Asking for fee forgiveness
FREQUENT FLYER FAQ
  • What kind of traveler are you? Are FF for you?
  • Benefits / costs / issues with frequent flyer programs.
  • Hidden costs, hidden gotchas
  • Miles vs. redeeming miles
  • Expirations
Stuff like that, obviously just a draft.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Thanks @Matt for suggesting this. I think it is an area that should be addressed in certain respects. Perhaps this is not what you had in mind, but I thought a category in the forums called banks would be great start. I have a perfect issue to post!! Based on the kind of questions that Come in there, would be a great barometer of whether folks who come to this site for advice are interested in the Elliot feedback in that regard. I see numerous ways this could be done in a manner that keeps in the spirit of the Elliott mission. In fact a credit card tip Chris referenced in a blog post is probably one of the most valuable I have seen.

T

travellerdan

I don't know what the position here is with respect to duplicating already existing information sources. FlyerTalk is a forum that already has a hugely extensive body of information and discussion specifically aimed at frequent flyers and credit card use. There are some other blogs and forums as well. What such forums don't do is offer an eventual route to intervention with a travel company or such specific advice as to what to do as you do here. FT can be a brutal place for the uninformed initiate to make complaints, but as a source of information it is rich.

Aug 10, 2013
Atlanta
I worked in the banking industry for quite a while, and can get some info together on different things, like disputes and processing. I think it's come up enough here that it would be a good idea. I'll see what I can pull together. I'm no expert on choosing credit cards though. My recommendation is always to choose a card with no annual fee that offers cashback. Even at 1%, if you pay it each month it's free money. I'm always a fan of cash over any form of gift card or voucher. Even if the percentage of the "gift" is technically lower, I really believe you come out ahead by opting for a check once a year.

I've had to move unexpectedly; I literally was evacuated from my home and at first just grabbed a few bags and lived in a hotel for over a week, and ended up just finding a new place because we didn't want to go back. In addition, I was out of town on a planned trip, had a death in the family, and I'm 8 months pregnant and had some complications (everything is 100% fine, so it's ok, thank goodness) over the past month. So I disappeared for a while, to anyone I left hanging I'm sorry! It was just so hectic, and now I'm settled into my new home and resting enough that I actually have time to read and type!

But I was just saying that because it may take me a bit to gather and organize. I'm due in a few weeks, so I don't want to make any definite promises about when I will be done. I usually just use my phone, but I'll pull out my laptop and sit down, research and type some stuff up. I can review some of my posts to see if there's any patterns, and search to see if there's other issues that seem noteworthy. I find googling and making lists very therapeutic!!!!!!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I worked in the banking industry for quite a while, and can get some info together on different things, like disputes and processing. I think it's come up enough here that it would be a good idea. I'll see what I can pull together. I'm no expert on choosing credit cards though. My recommendation is always to choose a card with no annual fee that offers cashback. Even at 1%, if you pay it each month it's free money. I'm always a fan of cash over any form of gift card or voucher. Even if the percentage of the "gift" is technically lower, I really believe you come out ahead by opting for a check once a year.

I've had to move unexpectedly; I literally was evacuated from my home and at first just grabbed a few bags and lived in a hotel for over a week, and ended up just finding a new place because we didn't want to go back. In addition, I was out of town on a planned trip, had a death in the family, and I'm 8 months pregnant and had some complications (everything is 100% fine, so it's ok, thank goodness) over the past month. So I disappeared for a while, to anyone I left hanging I'm sorry! It was just so hectic, and now I'm settled into my new home and resting enough that I actually have time to read and type!

But I was just saying that because it may take me a bit to gather and organize. I'm due in a few weeks, so I don't want to make any definite promises about when I will be done. I usually just use my phone, but I'll pull out my laptop and sit down, research and type some stuff up. I can review some of my posts to see if there's any patterns, and search to see if there's other issues that seem noteworthy. I find googling and making lists very therapeutic!!!!!!
What a month you've had! I did miss you and am glad to hear that life is back straight-up again. I think this kind of advice could be most useful. People can find out about benefits of cards that they may not get any other way.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

Oh come on, Rebecca - you are superwoman, you can handle a newborn from a motel and writing a FAQ sheet. What's wrong with you? ;)

I commend you for being so up and positive. When we were stuck without heat, hot water, ad electrcity for a month after Sandy, I wasn't as positive as you are.