Hotel Problem

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 6, 2017
I booked a hotel through Expedia in late June for a mid-August date, but cancelled the reservation in mid-July - or so I thought! After the original hotel date, I received a request from the hotel asking me how I like the hotel accommodations. "Huh?", I thought. Then I looked at my bank statement and discovered that they had charged me for two nights' stay. I immediately contacted the hotel and explained the mix-up but was told that they had never received a cancellation from Expedia. I contacted Expedia and they told me that maybe I did cancel but they had no record of it and further said that their website might have erred. However, they won't intercede with the hotel and I'm out $628 for a hotel I never checked into or out of on any date whatsoever. The hotel said twice to contact Expedia and Expedia said they couldn't help with the hotel.

Do I go to the local small claims court, which is not terribly close? I have written to the hotel indicating that I was pursuing a small claim but they have ignored that.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
How did you cancel with Expedia, via email or phone call? I assume you did not receive a confirmation of the cancellation after you contacted them? Unless you can prove you cancelled the reservation, this becomes a 'he said/she said' and, unfortunately, neither company will budge. If that is the case, you may appeal to the manager of the hotel asking for a credit to be used at a future date. That is probably the best you can hope for (if you do not have proof of cancellation) but I strongly suggest you drop the threats about small claims court.....no one likes to be intimidated!

Nov 6, 2017
How did you cancel with Expedia, via email or phone call? I assume you did not receive a confirmation of the cancellation after you contacted them? Unless you can prove you cancelled the reservation, this becomes a 'he said/she said' and, unfortunately, neither company will budge. If that is the case, you may appeal to the manager of the hotel asking for a credit to be used at a future date. That is probably the best you can hope for (if you do not have proof of cancellation) but I strongly suggest you drop the threats about small claims court.....no one likes to be intimidated!
I cancelled online. Unfortunately, my email inbox was emptied when a laptop was wiped and I don’t have a record of the confirmation. Expedia said their records don’t show a cancellation, and, again, they won’t vouch for the veracity of their website/records. The hotel has been less than helpful. The small claims wasn’t a threat but a notice of my next action. They charged my account without delivering any service. The hotel is within driving distance as is the county courthouse.

Feb 9, 2016
can you cancel a reservation with expedia and get your money back/not be charged? I thought their reservations were no refunds?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
can you cancel a reservation with expedia and get your money back/not be charged? I thought their reservations were no refunds?
That could be the problem as well. Did you book a nonrefundable rate? If you did, even
if you did cancel, you wouldn't get a refund.

Unfortunately, without a confirmation of the cancellation there is probably nothing you can do. Do you have a copy of the original confirmation on your computer?

We have company contacts on top of our page. Get the contacts for Expedia and write to the customer service email address.

Tell them your computer lost all its data and ask if you booked a nonrefundable rate. But again- they always send a cancellation confirmation that also will remind you about any cancellation fees tihat might apply.

Give them a week to reply. If they don't respond or refuse to help, write to the first executive shown. Tell him/her that Customer Service wasn't able to help or didn't reply. Give the executive a week to reply. If necessary, repeat weekly going up the chain of Executives one at a time. If you get all the Executives with no help, come back here and let us know. Make sure you keep all the emails as you'll need to forward them to the writers if they need to get involved.

Good luck and let us know what happens

Feb 9, 2016
I cancelled online. Unfortunately, my email inbox was emptied when a laptop was wiped and I don’t have a record of the confirmation. Expedia said their records don’t show a cancellation, and, again, they won’t vouch for the veracity of their website/records. The hotel has been less than helpful. The small claims wasn’t a threat but a notice of my next action. They charged my account without delivering any service. The hotel is within driving distance as is the county courthouse.
Wait, that doesn't make any sense.....

your inbox email is not stored on your hard drive, it's stored as part of the email service provider. A hard drive crash isn't going to wipe out your inbox email. Simply log on from a different device and it is still there.

What am I missing?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
With small claims you must prove beyond a shadow of a doubt you canceled the room and they still charged you.

Every hotel has a cancellation policy. You have to prove you canceled and then they charged you. That supersedes your idea you didn't stay at they hotel.

Just because you go to Small Claims court doesn't mean you don't still have to prove your case. Without that cancellation notice you are wasting your time.

Jul 27, 2016
Absolutely. They're a travel agent, you can book regular "pay on arrival" rates through them, just as through any other travel agent (example below).

upload_2017-11-6_18-24-34.png

Jul 27, 2016
With small claims you must prove beyond a shadow of a doubt you canceled the room and they still charged you.
No, you just have to show that the preponderance of the evidence supports your case. It's a far lower standard of proof than reasonable doubt (the standard for criminal conviction). No legal proceeding (at least in the US) uses "shadow of a doubt" as a standard of proof.

At the moment, it doesn't sound like he can meet the preponderance of the evidence standard, though.

Jul 27, 2016
yes...and the random user of internet email isn't going to elect to download and delete from server because they are going to have 5 different devices they want to access their email from.
There's no reference to accessing email on any other devices. It's possible that they're incorrect, but certainly possible that they are describing the situation accurately.

Nov 6, 2017
Lot to respond to: First, cancellations were possible, I would not have booked were there not. Second, I cancelled on the Expedia website but they say they have glitches that sometimes don't register cancellations. Quite an admission. I had to wipe a work MacBook of Mac Mail, and the IT person who did it just went ahead and cancelled the whole program - and it was all gone on my personal MacBook and on my iPhone - all empty, all boxes: Inbox, Sent, Trash, Junk, etc. Even at Me.com - nothing.

The Expedia customer service rep said she's push up the matter to a higher level but after over a week, no response.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Absolutely. They're a travel agent, you can book regular "pay on arrival" rates through them, just as through any other travel agent (example below).

View attachment 1509
I don't use online booking agencies, but it seems that we hear often that an OBA hotel res is presented as "cancellable without a fee". The fine print often states that the OBA has no Xll fee, but the hotel might. Might? Yet another reason to book directly, at least you know what you're dealing with. As far as your email disappearing with the laptop problem, that's easy to fix. Once you have proof that you cancelled without a fee, you could dispute the charge on your CC. Once you even mention "small claims court" communication ceases.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have customer contacts on top of our pages. You can go up the Executives using our contacts and let them know you had no response from Expedia on a week .

Use our contacts and write the Executives one at a time leaving a week in between letters.

Jul 27, 2016
As I see it, there are two issues here:

1. Was this a cancellable reservation? Presumably, it was, since you remember cancelling it.
2. Assuming that it was a cancellable reservation, and you did cancel it, can you prove that you cancelled it? This seems to be the tough issue, since you don't seem to have any confirmation of the cancellation.

May 17, 2016
Wait, that doesn't make any sense.....

your inbox email is not stored on your hard drive, it's stored as part of the email service provider. A hard drive crash isn't going to wipe out your inbox email. Simply log on from a different device and it is still there.

What am I missing?
Not necessarily. If you use only the IMAP protocol, the email remains on the server and can be accessed from any device. If you use a POP3 client (like Outlook), the email is downloaded to your computer and is no longer on the server.

Not necessarily. If you use only the IMAP protocol, the email remains on the server and can be accessed from any device. If you use a POP3 client (like Outlook), the email is downloaded to your computer and is no longer on the server.
Actually, when using an email client like Outlook, or Thunderbird, or many others, even if you use POP3, you have the option of leaving those messages on the server as well as downloading them to your PC, or keeping them on the server for "x" number of days before the server automatically deletes them, or keeping them on the server until you delete the emails at which time the server will be notified by Outlook of your deletion and then delete it from the server. There is no single correct answer to what happens when using POP3 as it is extremely configurable on most commercial email systems and email clients, including free email services like Yahoo, Gmail and the like.

This story makes the case I always make to all of my friends, invest under a $100 a year to have a cloud backup service running on your computer so trashing your hard disk, or having a flood etc gives you the ability to recover and restore files accidentally deleted whether via fat finger, or disaster.

May 17, 2016
Actually, when using an email client like Outlook, or Thunderbird, or many others, even if you use POP3, you have the option of leaving those messages on the server as well as downloading them to your PC, or keeping them on the server for "x" number of days before the server automatically deletes them, or keeping them on the server until you delete the emails at which time the server will be notified by Outlook of your deletion and then delete it from the server. There is no single correct answer to what happens when using POP3 as it is extremely configurable on most commercial email systems and email clients, including free email services like Yahoo, Gmail and the like.

This story makes the case I always make to all of my friends, invest under a $100 a year to have a cloud backup service running on your computer so trashing your hard disk, or having a flood etc gives you the ability to recover and restore files accidentally deleted whether via fat finger, or disaster.
Yes, but in my experience very few people are aware of the option of keeping mail on the server. And you are absolutely right about backups to a cloud server. But an awful lot of people use their computers primarily for emailing and web browsing, and they don't think they have anything important enough to back up, much less pay for it. But when disaster strikes...