1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Hotel: Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport

Discussion in 'Hotels' started by grannynanny, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Greg

It would not have made a difference, if the location was not advertised correctly, I would have wanted to cancel, regardless of who I booked with. End of story.....................I hope !

2. mmb

mmb

**is exactly what I have always done. Only one time was the hotel not able to match the offer or even try. Other tImes I have gotten the same price as OTA w/at least one perk thrown in.

jsn55 and Patina like this.
  3. Greg

Please pay attention, the location was not as advertised on either booking.com or the hotels website. I wanted to cancel because of this factor. When I pointed out this discrepancy, neither booking.com or the hotel would allow me to cancel. End of story ??

4. honestpointofview

Hi Greg

As a UK resident I just did some checking. I think in fact on the underground it is about 30 mins from the main attractions. It is under 30 mins for London eye and Oxford street and exactly 30 mins for Big Ben.

This journey planner is useful.

https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/

jsn55 and Patina like this.
  5. Christina H

Greg, I hope you will still enjoy your trip to London -- It looks like you can get to Baker Street on the Hammersmith Line in about 36 minutes -- London is spread out, if I stay in Paddington it can take me 30 some minutes to get to the British Museum and such -- London's attractions are spread out. One nice thing is that you will be in a more residential area so eating out will be more reasonable -- I remember going to a business lunch in Mayfair (I was the guest) and a plate of spaghetti with tomato sauce was close of GBP 20 -- Just buy the tube travel card for unlimited travel in the appropriate zones and use the excellent public transport.

jsn55, Patina and honestpointofview like this.
  6. mmb

mmb

Sure. No prob.
    These forums usually morph into some small tidbits of anecdotal information taking the form of tips for travel success.
    Sorry that it is irritating you so much.
    I can also say that I usually spend way more time than you probably did in this particular transaction being sure that each selection is the one I want, especially if the selection would be non-refundable.
    Again, sorry you took offense.

Patina, jsn55, krisseye and 1 other person like this.
  7. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

True, Greg, but the process would have been every so much easier had you booked directly.

honestpointofview likes this.
  8. Greg

I guess the 12-15 minute walk to East Ham Station & then the walking time to the attraction,
    from whatever tube station you arrive at isn't included in your calculations. I used London Transport website, & the closest 'major' attraction is 44 minutes & there were several over
    1 hour. When you're 69, you don't want to waste much time getting to & from & riding the Tube. Even the Ruskin Arms admitted that the nearest major attraction was 40-45 minutes away. Thanks anyway ! I enjoy being corrected.....................I think ?

9. Christina H

Greg I do understand the frustration of the website making the hotel sound more central than it is. I usually prefer to be more in town just like you do. I have found too many hotel descriptions over the years that are a bit optimistic --as in 10 minutes from the center -- but in reality it is more like 10 minutes from the center in a helicopter... I do always look at maps now

jsn55 and Nancy like this.
  10. honestpointofview

Hi Greg

You are right they never do take into account those times. I guess they think it is very hard to do because it depends upon so many factors. As an example google maps shows the walking time station is 8 minutes. I walk quickly so i know that is a maximum for me; i appreciate however that if you struggle to walk it could be double the 8 minutes.

I am sorry if you thought was post was trying to correct you; i was trying to provide some reassurance that you should be ok and to provide some help via the tfl planner which is a really useful tool.

I hope you have a good trip.

jsn55 likes this.
  11. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Exactly, you most likely would have been able to easily cancel if you had booked directly and booked a refundable rate.

Whenever you book through a third party you add another layer to go through that is not as consumer friendly as the hotel would be.

mmb and honestpointofview like this.
  12. Bill___A

13. Bill___A

I'm pretty sure Marriott allows you a "24 hour rule" to cancel even on an advance prepaid rate. That said, since you are staying in this hotel, use it as an opportunity to experience more areas of London. I have had to stay in places which are not central before, and although it takes up time on the tube to get "downtown", I have found I can make an enjoyable trip out of it. Have a nice time.

jsn55 likes this.
  14. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Bill is correct, Marriott allows 1 day to cancel an advance purchase rate

Marriott Rewards Advance Purchase Rate, prepay in full, non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking, no changes, see Rate details

Additional Information
    • Advance Purchase Rate
    • - FULL CREDIT CARD PREPAYMENT DUE 1 DAY AFTER BOOKING
    • - NO CANCELLATIONS, REFUNDS, OR CHANGES ALLOWED
    • Name changes must be requested by the guest (or travel agent)
    • that booked the original reservation. Reservations may not be
    • assigned or transferred in any manner to any third party.

honestpointofview likes this.