Hotel/Expedia grievance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 4, 2017
On Wednesday, November 15, I made a last minute reservation for two nights (Nov 16-17) at the Klimpton Hotel in Philadelphia. I made the reservation through Expedia. Total bill for two 2 nights was $1189.66. An hour or so later, I realized I didn’t need the reservation so canceled. Expedia refunded me $594.83 and told me the hotel charged a penalty of one night’s stay because I canceled less than 72 hours before the reservation. I called the hotel to plead my case and the representative told me they did not collect any money and my complaint was with Expedia. I called Expedia back and they reiterated that it was the hotel’s policy and the hotel had collected the $594.83 penalty.

The next rep from the hotel said, yes, they had my money and it was a penalty. I pointed out that I made the reservation approximately 24 hours before the date and I couldn’t possibly cancel 72 hours before. They refused to refund me the penalty.

Is this fair? I’m sure there was fine print I neglected to read but it seems pretty ridiculous. Do I have any recourse other than complaining and taking my business elsewhere? Do hotels sometimes treat reservations from Expedia with less-than-ideal customer service?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, yes it is fair. The cancellation penalties are always shown when you book. You may also have booked a non-refundable rate which means it all non refundable.

Every hotel also has a cancellation policy as well. Whether you booked directly or through the hotel - if you book the day before, you already in a cancellation period.

Here is Kimptons cancellation policy right from booking direct - it is a 72 hour cancellation policy so if you made a reservation today - yes, you are in penalty already so you better be sure you are traveling:

Cancel and Payment Policies

Must be modified or canceled at least 72 hours prior to your arrival date, 6pm local hotel time to avoid a one night's room and tax charge to your credit card. An early departure fee in the amount of up to 1 night's room and tax may apply.
This credit card is being used to guarantee your room. Please provide a credit card at the time of check in for room, tax & incidentals. An early departure fee in the amount of up to one night's room and tax may apply.

Sorry - you didn't read everything. What does your confirmation say that you received?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks Neil. Caveat emptor.
Anytime you book a hotel or an airline reservation or a tour - there is always a cancellation policy shown. Many hotels no longer have same day cancellations - I am seeing this more and more and it requires careful reading before you hit the "buy" button.

We have company contacts for Kimpton on our page:

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/kimpton/

You have nothing to lose by writing to them, telling them what you did, state that you are not used to the changes hotels have made with cancellation policies and ask if they could make an exception for you and refund the unused night. The worst they can say is no and the best is you might find a kind executive in a good mood who tries to help.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Anytime you book a hotel or an airline reservation or a tour - there is always a cancellation policy shown. Many hotels no longer have same day cancellations - I am seeing this more and more and it requires careful reading before you hit the "buy" button.

We have company contacts for Kimpton on our page:

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/kimpton/

You have nothing to lose by writing to them, telling them what you did, state that you are not used to the changes hotels have made with cancellation policies and ask if they could make an exception for you and refund the unused night. The worst they can say is no and the best is you might find a kind executive in a good mood who tries to help.
I too agree with Neil. This is a very expensive lesson. Nobody's fooling around any more with 'rules'. They follow them blindly. The rules are becoming less user friendly every month. 72 hours for a hotel res Xll is a bit much ... unless that applies to very late reservations as you made. And yes, anything booked through a third party is waaaaay down at the end of the line when it comes to customer service. I'm so sorry this happened to you. However, we see miracles here every day, so please do follow up with Expedia as Neil outlines ... be polite, patient and persistent. The executives are the ones who don't have to follow all the rules, so you may find one that is sympathetic. Good luck!

Michelle Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
Yikes! I just stayed at the Kimpton Hotel Monaco in Philly (which is now an InterContinental) for $179. That sounds like a very hefty rate!
You may want to use our InterContinental contacts and ask for a review of your situation. I think I would ask for a consideration of a credit for a future stay (in a suite for that price) -- it is a lovely hotel and directly across form the Liberty Bell.

Jul 27, 2016
Yikes! I just stayed at the Kimpton Hotel Monaco in Philly (which is now an InterContinental) for $179. That sounds like a very hefty rate!
You may want to use our InterContinental contacts and ask for a review of your situation. I think I would ask for a consideration of a credit for a future stay (in a suite for that price) -- it is a lovely hotel and directly across form the Liberty Bell.
FYI, all Kimptons are now part of IHG. They're not Intercontinentals (that's one of the IHG brands), but they're part of the company, along with Holiday Inn and a number of other marques.

Michelle Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
@Just A Guy IHG is the InterContinental Hotel Group :rolleyes: This Kimpton (and all Kimptons are) is, in fact, part of this group and our LW can use our IHG contacts(which I linked to in my post). Sorry if you found my post unclear...

Jul 27, 2016
@Just A Guy IHG is the InterContinental Hotel Group :rolleyes: This Kimpton (and all Kimptons are) is, in fact, part of this group and our LW can use our IHG contacts(which I linked to in my post). Sorry if you found my post unclear...
I was clarifying that the hotel is not "now an InterContinental" (i.e. it hasn't been rebranded "InterContinental Philadelphia"), but is rather owned by IHG.

The link in your post didn't work for me, BTW. This one seems to:
http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/intercontinental-hotels/