Hotel and Expedia keeps money for my entire stay when I check out early.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 6, 2015
I looked back through your posts to follow the timeline and was able to glean the following:
  • First night I was stuck in a room that was extremely hot, and the heat could not be shut off nor did the AC work.
  • The next day they convinced me to change rooms, but that night, my shower was flooding and the bed collapsed twice due to loose boards.
  • I have photos of the issues in both rooms.
Aside from that, you have stated multiple times here that you were referred to Expedia who "always" took longer than 24 hours to respond (you called them), but you've not told us on what days (timeline). I also don't see any indication as to what day you checked out.

At this point I'm wondering if you emailed the executive or called. And did you provide him/her with a bulleted timeline?

You can move up the chain at Expedia if you like (email). If you do be concise and confident but polite about your lack of response from the hotel and the delay with Expedia which led to you departure (specify the day). I would include the photos.

And while you have reason to be upset and disappointed, be sure to stick to the facts ...

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
ADVOCATE ADVICE
If your hotel room is unacceptable and the hotel cannot accommodate you properly, it's important to know exactly what to do about the issue. Few hotels will not charge you for your whole res when you check out early. It's usually quite clear before you book. Your issue seems to me to be two sub-standard rooms and you couldn't or wouldn't try several other rooms. Booking through an online booking agency merely adds another level to the problem in situations like this.

If you feel that you cannot spend another night in a sub-standard hotel, it's very important that you work out a plan with the hotel's manager. Checking out early and expecting a refund is not a reasonable solution. Clear communication is vital, or you're the one getting billed for something you didn't want or use.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As an update, Expedia informs me that the general manager of the hotel denied the request for refund. I've been offered a measly $100 credit for Expedia. This is just a rinse and repeat of the earlier initial customer service interaction but an upgrade from the $25 credit offer. As I lost nearly $500 to this hotel swindle, this is upsetting.
Why is it up to the Hotel to approve a refund, when they are the ones swindling me?
I repeat again - you were not swindled. You didn't read the terms of the hotel that states no refunds for early check out. You kept referring to a cancellation policy that is incorrect - you checked out early and I provided you with the terms that were right in the hotel agreement that you checked you read when you had to check out and pay.

Jan 2, 2018
ADVOCATE ADVICE
If you feel that you cannot spend another night in a sub-standard hotel, it's very important that you work out a plan with the hotel's manager. Checking out early and expecting a refund is not a reasonable solution. Clear communication is vital, or you're the one getting billed for something you didn't want or use.
Hello,
Thank you jsn55. I very much wanted to speak with the manager, however I was clearly told there is no manager on site to speak with, that it is in an external office. I was told to have my travel agent contact them with email. I was stuck between talking to a non-manager and expedia, neither of which could make any progress within 2 days. This indirection made it impossible to deal with the problem in this way. What can I do in this situation?

I

They will not - because they cannot - change just one room to have air conditioning if the heating system is set up for the season for the entire property.
I know what you are talking about, however this doesn't apply, it was an old radiator system with individual mini split AC units. I did not want AC at all (also it couldn't make a dent in the heat), I wanted the radiator in my room turned off or down which they did not know how to do. It was cold outside but Sauna temperatures inside this room, other parts of the Hotel and the other room provided were not in this condition.

I'm not easily accepting that there is zero accountability for hotels and online booking agencies with no early checkout policies, but it seems I am being told this is the reality.

Neil,
I assert I was swindled, because I did not receive the product I purchased, and hidden managers and hostile policies allow them to keep unearned money.
The relevance of the "cancellation policy that is incorrect" is that the Expedia interaction supports my assertion that the language you refer to was absent from print at the time of purchase. You've demonstrated it is not a good argument, as I have no way to prove this.

Sep 19, 2015
I live in an older apartment building in NYC which is steam heated with a boiler and radiators. Some old radiators have valves which can stop the steam; others do not. There is simply no way to turn off the heat for one apartment if there are no valves on the radiator. Even if one has a valve radiator and the steam is turned off for that radiator the apartment may still be very warm depending on the placement of the pipes and the apartment itself.

How do we deal with it? Easiest answer is open a window a crack. Some will turn on the a/c. There are several interesting articles on how in the 1920s, post Spanish flu, it was thought to be better to have a window opened even in winter so to prevent another epidemic and the radiators used in design in this time were very large.

Older intact buildings have their charms and drawbacks.

I do not know how the hotel in question is heated but as it has radiators it must be old steam boiler.
The hotel may not have been able to turn off the heat in the first room.

Now I have to ask why was the OP trying to cancel or change the reservation before even checking in? That may make the hotel and Expedia think that the following complaints were in bad faith.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

Now I have to ask why was the OP trying to cancel or change the reservation before even checking in? That may make the hotel and Expedia think that the following complaints were in bad faith.
And that is the question. It seems like the writer looked for an excuse that try to check out early- I believe they stayed the original days they originally wanted to change to and then checked out.

We had to open windows in Iceland and China because the rooms were too hot and radiators couldn’t be turned off. That’s how you deal with it.

Besides the fact that the hotel link to read before you buy clearly said no early checkout- the writer already had history in their file of trying to cancel a couple of days- and this might have been why the hotel stood their ground.

Sep 19, 2015
kwhubby why was there an attempt to change or cancel the reservation shortly before checking in?

What was the nature of that correspondence?

Jan 2, 2018
kwhubby why was there an attempt to change or cancel the reservation shortly before checking in?

What was the nature of that correspondence?
Hello Christina, thanks for asking.
It seems silly, but I had made multiple reservations online before my trip for the same dates in Rome far in advance, as I was having difficulty deciding on which hotel to stay at. I waited a bit too long for my cancellations, and was trying to cancel right at the no-fee time limit. I had tried to call to cancel, but Expedia got the same experience with the Hotel even then: "We can't reach anybody, please give us 24 hours". It was apparent I had to accept this Hotel as I was still able to contact and cancel the preferred Hotels in time. Expedia offline team still went ahead with the contact to the Hotel and got the initial rejection referred to.

So I may have had the preconceived notion the Hotel wasn't the greatest, but it doesn't mean I wanted to leave anymore. Meanwhile the Hotel/Expedia had suspicion to disregard me when I had problems by presuming I am trying to create excuses to leave.

Perhaps just dealing with the extreme heat or extreme noise from outside is acceptable for a budget marketed Motel/Hostel etc, but when a property advertises itself as "4 stars" I thought there should be some level of basic service and the rooms should be mostly functional, or they should be able to quickly change my room when others are available (they were, just the front desk said they personally were incapable of room changes).

Sep 19, 2015
kwhubby the star grading in Italy does not have to do with the quality, but with the amenities and lay out -- so things like a restaurant, elevator, 24 hour reception all are taken into consideration -- again it is not on quality but a rating of amenities.

Sadly the Spanish Steps and other parts of Rome (Piazza Navona) are being ruined by horrible tourists and visitors who make noise all night, bring cheap bottles of liquor and sit on the ground and have their own bad parties --- I could go on but that is the reason for extreme noise.

The problem with the middle man in booking (the OTA) is that one has no idea what they are saying or doing, and there can be issues on with communication -- one has no idea what the middleman is actually saying.