Hotel/Airline Refusing Refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 17, 2015
Due to our flight cancellation by American Airlines we were not able to make our first night hotel reservation. We contacted Intercontinental Hotel in San Juan PR as soon as we knew of the flight cancellation and even after staying there for seven nights they would still not reimburse us for the night we were not able to be there. We had two rooms reserved as there were five of us traveling in our party. Therefore, we wanted refunds for both rooms.

Neither the hotel nor the airline will reimburse us for the unused night charge. American did give us each a $300. voucher and said this is all they will do for us. I thought the voucher covered the headache of the original flight being canceled and having to book a whole new flight. The representative from Intercontinental Hotel that I was referred to never returned any of my several phone calls.

I understand the hotel has a non-refundable policy but this situation was totally out of our control. We also had travel insurance which apparently does us no good in this situation. I'm a little confused as to what travel insurance is actually supposed to cover.

Thank you

Jan 6, 2015
I tested booking a room and the hotel rate details say: "Canceling your reservation before 6:00 PM (local hotel time) on ... will result in no charge."

Assuming you did so and have proof, you case seems rock solid. I suggest at this point you email Chris at elliottc@gmail.com. Otherwise, finding a contact who will listen to you may prove difficult.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
When exactly did you cancel your first night? Were your ICH rooms booked at the "advance payment" rate? If so, getting a refund might be a challenge. But you spent many nights at the hotel, so that might make them a little more willing to compensate you for that first night. I'm an ICH loyalty person, and over the years have booked a couple of hotels at the non-ref rate by mistake; fortunately I was able to use the res as made. If you are sure your travel insurance won't cover that first night, I would suggest a calm, concise, polite letter explaining the situation and why.you should receive a refund. Don't give up!

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
Due to our flight cancellation by American Airlines we were not able to make our first night hotel reservation. We contacted Intercontinental Hotel in San Juan PR as soon as we knew of the flight cancellation and even after staying there for seven nights they would still not reimburse us for the night we were not able to be there. We had two rooms reserved as there were five of us traveling in our party. Therefore, we wanted refunds for both rooms.

Neither the hotel nor the airline will reimburse us for the unused night charge. American did give us each a $300. voucher and said this is all they will do for us. I thought the voucher covered the headache of the original flight being canceled and having to book a whole new flight. The representative from Intercontinental Hotel that I was referred to never returned any of my several phone calls.

I understand the hotel has a non-refundable policy but this situation was totally out of our control. We also had travel insurance which apparently does us no good in this situation. I'm a little confused as to what travel insurance is actually supposed to cover.

Thank you
Hi Kathy,

I'm sorry this happened to you, but you couldn't have written to us at a better time. Our contact page for Intercontinental Hotels has just been updated.

Begin your appeal by completing and submitting the appropriate form from the IHG Customer Care "Submit a Form" page. Here's a link:

Give them a week to get back to you. If they don't or you don't like what they have to say, escalate your appeal to the executives you'll find listed here:

Send short, polite emails to, one by one, with a week in between, the Primary Contact, and, if necessary, the Secondary Contact and Chief Executive.

You may also find the main Customer Care page helpful:

Save all of of your correspondence and if you don't receive satisfaction, feel free to complete and submit the Elliott.org "Help" page at:

Good luck!

Grant

Feb 22, 2015
Thank you for the contacts, Chris. I recently had a bad experience with IHG Reservations. Glad to have a contact in the U.S.A. (though my problem was with an overseas call center). So I really wonder, do any of these companies based in the U.S. really oversee what happens in their (probably vendored ?) call centers ? I'm so sick of dealing with individuals who are left to their own devices, yet none of them seem to be reprimanded or have to answer for blatant errors, omissions and lies. Do any of these people get fired ?