Hopeful of a resolution for unauthorized charges

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 14, 2020
Here are the letters I drafted and sent via an email carpet bomb. I have not received a resolution. When I have requested a follow up of conversations on the phone I have been denied outright. The company doesn't give me straight answers when I ask for clarifications on discrepancies. The local office sees some major errors and has assured me this is not the way they handle situations. I am unsure of what to do or where to go from here. Please help

Dear ######,
I am writing your company about a series of problems I've experienced with a vehicle I began renting on #####, 2020. I have paid two times, and my insurance company has paid for the same contract ######. I am asking that you review this situation and find a reasonable resolution.

I agreed to LDW at the commencement of the rental on #####/2020. Shortly after renting the vehicle I got into an accident with a raccoon on ####/2020. An incident report was filed by company representative and an exchange vehicle was given. When I returned the exchanged vehicle on ####2020 Company representative had me swipe my card to pay the fees for the rental, surcharges, taxes, and LDW for a rental period of 53 days, a receipt was printed from the terminal with a payment of $##### charged on my card with a balance due of zero dollars. I had later received an invoice on ####2020 from ### claim department saying I owed an additional amount of monies for damage repairs on #####2020(incident date). The explanation for the invoice was the total damages to the vehicle were $#### and my insurance had paid $#### for the damages and I owed a deductible of $#####. Several months later on #####, 2020 I found out another payment had been made from my bank account for a higher amount of $#####. I had not received communications about these additional charges until I went into the office on ###2020 (date funds were taken.) I was informed they were for the contract ##### which dates from ##### (53 days). I have not received a refund for the initial receipt I received on ####2020. And to my knowledge my insurance company has not been paid back for the damages they covered.

The local branch manager ##### agrees there are errors and has helped me to try and remedy things but we have gotten nowhere locally.

I have enclosed a photo copy of the initial receipt I received from the payment terminal at the #### office on #### and the invoice from the claims department. Additional docs may be available upon request.

I am a single mother, caretaker, and artist who had a very unfortunate event that considered our personal vehicle a total loss . This unfortunate event prompted the need for a vehicle making me your target market. I was very happy to hear through our insurance company that they have a contract with #### rental car for discounted rates during our difficult time. We are currently still renting a vehicle through ####. Our hopes were to stay in the rental until we were able to purchase it near the beginning of the year. At this moment I am both fearful and skeptical of what situations might be lurking around the corner with the rental.

I would love nothing more than to say my car rental experience has been fantastic but this situation has created a hardship for our family during this already stressful time of the year. I look forward to continuing a relationship with your company and getting this resolved.

I assume taking on a business in ###### is no easy task. The fact that you have the compassion you do to turn it around is awe inspiring.

Sincerely,
#####

I was immediately followed up with a call after this message I sent in a exec carpet bomb. A customer relations lady reached out stating she would like to go over the charges with me. She was less than pleasant to deal with. When I requested her to put into writing what we discussed she stated "I will not". She informed me that her manager would be reaching out to me in 24 hours. I waited a week after not hearing from her before I sent forward another message to the exec carpet bomb. Message below was my follow up from our talk. I have requested to email me only as there are time zone differences and I have only a message phone.

Dear ####,
I am reaching out because it has been over a week since our discussion. You had mentioned you would be escalating this matter to your manager but did not follow up with a name and contact information of whom I would soon be speaking with. I was informed at that time, they would be reaching out within 24 hours. I have yet to received a follow up email from you or anyone else on this matter.

In our discussion you had started off by stating that my insurance company had been refunded on ####/2020 because company had received LDW payment for contract #### . I have since then reached out to the ### claims department and confirmed that they have in fact refunded my insurance company, and closed the claim, claim number ####. I appreciate the update regarding return of payment to my insurance company.

This brings us to the second and third matter of debiting my account on ####2020 and not informing me of the reasoning for this.

As confirmed, by receipt from the terminal and returning funds to my insurance company, payment for contract ##### had been made prior to the debit from my account on #####/2020. My account is and always has been in good standing. Never was there any insinuation of a past due, failed payment, delayed payment, or change in charges. Since all charges were known at the completion of the rental on #####2020 when I received the receipt for payment in full, I had not expected a charge to my card on ######2020. Nor was I contacted before these funds were taken out to clarify any reasoning the debit could be coming.

This creates an uneasy feeling about the way the ###### is handling debit card information and the process used for authorizations.

I have continued a relationship with your company since #####2020 and been more than patient to resolve matters since my insurance had recommended you. I am still currently in a rental through your company. My hopes were to stay in the rental until I am able to purchase. We are currently going on a month since I have tried to resolve this matter with this company. It is becoming increasingly more difficult in having faith in your companies dealings. With unjustified debits coming from my account I am skeptical of what is to come from your company in the near future. I look forward to your reply and a reasonable resolution to this situation promptly. Thank you again.

Sincerely,
#######

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
I am unable to ascertain what your problem is and what you would like as a resolution. If this is the letter you sent in your "carpet bomb" then there's a high level of certainty that it wasn't read by anyone. I advise you to rewrite your letter using bullet point format. State only the facts and refrain from writing any extraneous information and emotion that can distract the reader. A little perspective: the person reading your letter does this all day and does not have time to read through a long letter. Additionally, this person did not cause your problem, yet is in position to help you. The letter you posted above has a bit of an arrogant tone which is not going to make it favorable to the person reading it. Your job is to make the reader want to help you.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
I have reviewed your initial post multiple times and this is my understanding of the critical elements:
  • You are in a long-term rental agreement with the car rental agency in question
  • You are using a debit card to pay for the rental
  • You were charged an additional amount "for the contract ##### which dates from ##### (53 days)" which you have already paid (I think this is correct)
  • You have stated to them that it is "increasingly more difficult in having faith in your companies dealings"
  • You have "carpet bombed" the executives
Given your description here (please do correct if any of the above is incorrect), it is difficult to recommend additional actions to take. Having reached the executive level and criticized their company, you now face a difficult challenge. Perhaps, at this point, if you have been double-billed you should reach out to your bank.

In your role as a single mother and caretaker you have my utmost respect and concern for how this has impacted you . . .

Last edited: