Honda

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 30, 2018
Honda Mexico: to Whom it may concern,

I thought I should inform you of a disturbing problem I encountered this year with Honda Nuevo Laredo. I'm hoping that your company, with whom I have been a customer for some time, will address this situation.

On December 30, 2017, I had an accident fifteen minutes into Mexico near the Columbia border. I had no insurance as I generally drive to Morelia and then buy the insurance there. My car was towed to Honda Nuevo Laredo. They looked over my car, a 2014 Honda CRV LX 4wd, and issued me a statement of what it would cost to repair the vehicle. $9,067.11 (pesos or CD) for parts and $26,000.00 pesos for work. I decided that I would repair the vehicle, accepted the charges, and transferred the complete amount to them.

On April 3rd I was informed that the sensor for the airbag could only be bought in Canada. Since I was in Mexico, I had my son-in-law buy the part and send it to Honda Nuevo Laredo. Unfortunately, he sent it by Canada Post, and we are still waiting for delivery. After waiting over four months for my repaired car, I decided that I would accept delivery of the vehicle with the completed repairs, drive it to Canada and have the lost sensor installed there.
On May 10, I bussed to Nuevo Laredo to pick up my car. I informed Honda Nuevo Laredo, a week in advance, of the exact time of my arrival and they assured me the car would be ready. On presenting myself to the Honda Dealer, I was informed that the car was not there. Unknown to me, the dealership had subcontracted out the repair, and it was not ready, which means a total lack of follow-up and responsibility on their part. After waiting all afternoon, my car arrived at five-thirty p.m., checked by the Honda mechanic, and declared ready to go. Money was given to me, which I later understood was to cover the cost of the automatic gas door, which was not repaired and has to be opened with a knife.

On arriving in Morelia I realized that there were at least five items that had not been attended to. I took the car to Morelia's Honda dealership, who carefully checked the car and repaired two of the items; the passengers window which did not go up or down and the automatic hood release which had not been connected. They also informed me that my seat belt, although connected, was not working and could not apply pressure in the case of an accident. Honda Nuevo Laredo put me on the road without a working seat belt. Combined with a non-functioning airbag, this was extremely irresponsible on their part and extremely dangerous for me as I drove twelve hours on Mexican highways from Nuevo Laredo to Morelia. Julio from Morelia's Honda dealership kindly made phone calls and discussed the situation with Carolina at the Nuevo Laredo Honda dealership. He was told the missing parts could only be bought in Canada, and I was to phone and order these parts. I would be responsible not only for the price but also for the installation of said parts. Again.

I have some questions as to what has occurred.
-Why did it take four and a half months to repair my vehicle? This is extremely excessive. I was without a vehicle for all this time and made repeated calls to Honda Nuevo Laredo without results.
-I was given an estimate for full repair of my car which I paid up front. Why am I asked to pay more?
-I made certain that I was accompanied to Nuevo Laredo by a Mexican friend who speaks English and Spanish fluently. Why was he not informed that all items were not done?
-Why am I responsible for ordering parts for repair of my car?
-Why was I sent on the road with neither a functioning airbag or seat belt? This is extremely irresponsible on the part of Honda. I would expect more of this company.

I would appreciate your immediate attention to this.
Regards Jan Starr

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you rented the car from one of the major companies, we have company contacts on our pages for you to use to appeal to. We can comments on laws and cases with a US company but other countries don’t have the consumer laws we have here so we cannot always assist in these situations. I’m afraid as far as I can see - that’s the situation you are in.

You took a chance on not buying insurance to drive to another territory to buy insurance. That’s a bad idea as you have found. The laws in Mexico are like nothing I have ever seen and
we have no jurisdiction over situations like this.

You aren’t dealing with a major American car rental company that has access to parts or even personnel to fix rental cars. I’m not sure what else I can offer that might help in this situation.

Perhaps one of my colleagues can offer some suggestions.

Jul 27, 2016
If you rented the car from one of the major companies, we have company contacts on our pages for you to use to appeal to. We can comments on laws and cases with a US company but other countries don’t have the consumer laws we have here so we cannot always assist in these situations. I’m afraid as far as I can see - that’s the situation you are in.

You took a chance on not buying insurance to drive to another territory to buy insurance. That’s a bad idea as you have found. The laws in Mexico are like nothing I have ever seen and
we have no jurisdiction over situations like this.

You aren’t dealing with a major American car rental company that has access to parts or even personnel to fix rental cars. I’m not sure what else I can offer that might help in this situation.

Perhaps one of my colleagues can offer some suggestions.
This isn't a rental car, as I read it, it's the OP's own car.

Jul 27, 2016
I wasn’t clear as I don’t understand why if it was their own car the had no insurance.

Our writer can appeal to Honda but this really isn’t a Honda issue- it’s the repair shop in Mexico.
Sounds like they're Canadian, and needed to buy Mexican car insurance. I do question the thinking around "I generally drive to Morelia and then buy the insurance there," since it's about 600 miles and 11 hours from the US border to Morelia - that's a long time to go without insurance.

It would certainly make sense to me to make Honda Mexico aware of how one of their dealers is behaving. Honda Mexico customer service is at 01 800 368 8500.
https://automobiles.honda.com/information/customer-relations