HomeAway / Owner / Property Management / Rental Deposit Refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 29, 2018
April 16, 2018: Booked a vacation rental via HomeAway;
April 20, 2018: I cancelled reservation and request refund of deposit;
Merchant refused 'cancellation no refund' policy;
Did I know the policy when I booked - yes after reading the terms and I took out a cancellation insurance policy;
My thinking regarding a reservation deposit refund: The rental property was only marked unavailable for 4 (four) days; more than likely it would me rented on the same dates, because #1 peak season for travel to Florida #2 popular Florida destination #3 supply of rentals left in the area is low...as I was repeatedly informed #4 large home #5 reasonable rent. The merchant would have the new rent plus my $2,978.23. Who is the one who would benefit from such a scenario.
The merchant has been adamant regarding 'no refund'.
I can't afford to lose that much money.

I am not in possession of property /merchandise, I never have been in possession of the merchandise, and I will not be using the merchandise.

Kathy Robosan

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Before you even book, the cancellation policy is shown on the bottom of the page:

For instance:

Cancellation Policy

100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.

It is also printed on your confirmation.

As far as their insurance- can you point us to an online version of the insurancevdo we can see if it covers your cancellation reason? Why are you canceling?

If you chose to book and didn’t read that before you booked- you are responsible for the terms. It doesn’t matter what you think should and shouldn’t happen- the minute you click the pay, you are agreeing to whatever the cancellation policy is.

I don’t think you are going to have luck in this one but HomeAway is owned by Expedia.

We have company contacts on top of our page;

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/

Read the information on the cover page about exactly how to write and then start your campaign. Let us know the outcome.

Jan 30, 2018
Before you even book, the cancellation policy is shown on the bottom of the page: For instance: Cancellation Policy 100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation. It is also printed on your confirmation. As far as their insurance- can you point us to an online version of the insurancevdo we can see if it covers your cancellation reason? Why are you canceling? If you chose to book and didn’t read that before you booked- you are responsible for the terms. It doesn’t matter what you think should and shouldn’t happen- the minute you click the pay, you are agreeing to whatever the cancellation policy is. I don’t think you are going to have luck in this one but HomeAway is owned by Expedia. We have company contacts on top of our page; http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/ Read the information on the cover page about exactly how to write and then start your campaign. Let us know the outcome.
Before you even book, the cancellation policy is shown on the bottom of the page: For instance: Cancellation Policy 100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation. It is also printed on your confirmation. As far as their insurance- can you point us to an online version of the insurancevdo we can see if it covers your cancellation reason? Why are you canceling? If you chose to book and didn’t read that before you booked- you are responsible for the terms. It doesn’t matter what you think should and shouldn’t happen- the minute you click the pay, you are agreeing to whatever the cancellation policy is. I don’t think you are going to have luck in this one but HomeAway is owned by Expedia. We have company contacts on top of our page; http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/ Read the information on the cover page about exactly how to write and then start your campaign. Let us know the outcome.

Nov 27, 2017
If you have cancellation insurance, you should make a claim there to get your deposit back if it was a covered reason. Have you made a claim there?

Jan 30, 2018
I am confused - why are you not making a claim on the insurance you took? Seems to me the owner is off the hook due to the no deposit policy you agreed to.

Jul 27, 2016
I can’t even find anything in the website about insurance as that’s the first thing I would look at- what are the covered reasons.
I found the below. Looks like what the OP was referring to.

https://www.vacationprotection.com/?aff=vpharenter&tab=Cancellation-Protection

If you pull up a description of the benefits, you get a description of benefits. I tried to paste a screenshot, but I'm getting an error. It lists a bunch of different unforeseen events, but none of them are in line with "Cancel For Any Reason" type coverage.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I found the below. Looks like what the OP was referring to.

https://www.vacationprotection.com/?aff=vpharenter&tab=Cancellation-Protection

If you pull up a description of the benefits, you get a description of benefits. I tried to paste a screenshot, but I'm getting an error. It lists a bunch of different unforeseen events, but none of them are in line with "Cancel For Any Reason" type coverage.
Thanks and just as I suspected you need a legit reason to cancel. If you have canceled due to one of the covered reasons you need to file a claim:

Offers reimbursement if you cancel your trip due to covered events such as sickness or injury, flight cancellations, mandatory evacuation or job loss. Certain restrictions apply. Learn more.

Sep 19, 2015
It is never a good tactic to argue that the person can re-rent out the vacation home for the same period. What if it is only rented for half the period?

I never book non refundable accommodations far in advance, my schedule is too unpredictable.

If the cancellation is for a covered reason, use the cancellation protection. If the reason is not covered, there is no obligation to do so.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I too am confused. Here's what you wrote: Did I know the policy when I booked - yes after reading the terms and I took out a cancellation insurance policy;

You were smart to buy the insurance. What was your reason for cancelling?

May 29, 2018
I am confused - why are you not making a claim on the insurance you took? Seems to me the owner is off the hook due to the no deposit policy you agreed to.
I cancelled the insurance. In addition, the policy did not cover a simple cancellation. Thank you for your time.

May 29, 2018
I too am confused. Here's what you wrote: Did I know the policy when I booked - yes after reading the terms and I took out a cancellation insurance policy;

Cancellation was because, I having two major surgeries this year and was not certain I would be able to go. I know I should have thought about it before I committed.
I have an elderly dog that takes a lot of medication (heart, breathing, Cushing, etc...), and my husband was not confident he could manage the medication administration. It is a difficult process. Regardless, I should have taken it into consideration.

I just don't understand anyone not taking into account I had only did the booking 4 (four) days prior. I know the following has nothing to do with renting, but It is my understanding if I were purchasing property in Florida there is a Law titled 'cooling off' period of 3 (three) days, and the seller has to assure the buyer knows this. I feel I booked this property under duress, but that's my problem.

Thank you for your time.

May 29, 2018

Unfortunately, the insurance was not for the reason I gave for cancelling. I cancelled it at the same time as I did the rental. Fortunately, the insurance company gave me a full refund ($483) without any problem.

I think I have learned another life lesson and am out almost $3,000.

Thanks for your time.

May 29, 2018
It is never a good tactic to argue that the person can re-rent out the vacation home for the same period. What if it is only rented for half the period?

I never book non refundable accommodations far in advance, my schedule is too unpredictable.

If the cancellation is for a covered reason, use the cancellation protection. If the reason is not covered, there is no obligation to do so.
I appreciate your time. I guess I'm as naive about getting the deposit returned as I was about the booking.
I am not one to think others are not considerate, but then again I'm being unrealistic.

Have a great day.

Sep 19, 2015
Spikerocky the reason I stopped booking non refundable places is that I lost money— so I learned the hard way, but did not lose as much as you.

One cannot compare the buying of real estate with vacation planning — not the same thing at all. And I would not argue duress— you were not coerced into booking a vacation rental.

The only thing to appeal to is good will. Mention the surgeries and such, and hope for the best. Would you consider moving the deposit to another time? Sometimes it is easier to get a credit than a refund.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Cancellation was because, I having two major surgeries this year and was not certain I would be able to go. I know I should have thought about it before I committed.
I have an elderly dog that takes a lot of medication (heart, breathing, Cushing, etc...), and my husband was not confident he could manage the medication administration. It is a difficult process. Regardless, I should have taken it into consideration.

I just don't understand anyone not taking into account I had only did the booking 4 (four) days prior. I know the following has nothing to do with renting, but It is my understanding if I were purchasing property in Florida there is a Law titled 'cooling off' period of 3 (three) days, and the seller has to assure the buyer knows this. I feel I booked this property under duress, but that's my problem.

Thank you for your time.
By booking and canceling that late- you took the place out of available inventory and the landlord was most likely not able to re-rent- causing monetary loss. Plus Airbnb gets a big cut of what you pay.

I’m sorry that you didn’t read everything before you booked. Have you considered asking the landlord if you could stay at a later date?

If a doctor had certified you couldn’t travel- you could have had the insurance repay you. The only issue you might have had was that is was so close to the time you booked insurance might not have covered you anyway because they would have argued you were not well enough to travel when you booked.

May 29, 2018
Spikerocky the reason I stopped booking non refundable places is that I lost money— so I learned the hard way, but did not lose as much as you.

One cannot compare the buying of real estate with vacation planning — not the same thing at all. And I would not argue duress— you were not coerced into booking a vacation rental.

The only thing to appeal to is good will. Mention the surgeries and such, and hope for the best. Would you consider moving the deposit to another time? Sometimes it is easier to get a credit than a refund.
Thank you for posting. I'm more depressed now than when I posted my problem. Goodbye . This was indeed an expensive lesson to learn. I did ask her if about moving the deposit to another time frame, but she was adamant the deposit belonged with the rental as is, and cancellation no refund.