Home Depot refund help please!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 15, 2017
hi and thanks

Ordered a fridge from Home Depot online nov 15 for delivery nov 21 to port and further delivery to Turks and Caicos

Was not delivered (I have an email with delivery window). Was not notified. Can not get into my order for info. So on 22nd called Haelaigh store in Fla spoke with exporter and had a 3 way conversation with homedepot.com. .com put in a cancelation (a later delivery wouldn’t work because of boat timing and me being off island) she gave me refund process and case number

So Saturday Dec 9th I️ get a call f I’m my broker in T&C that they have a fridge from Home Depot

After numerous calls, dec 11 spoke with supervisor Neecy. She said she would contact my broker and fix everything. She would send an email, but never did.

Without a word back I called on 15th. Was told by Vermika that notation on my account was “ customer notified that she need d to iníciate return with carrier”. ??? I gave Neecy all my contact info she was going to do it and refund.

So today 15th I was switched to supervisor Stephanie who actually emailed me back and forth. She said because out of the country I’m stuck, and offered $500 gift card. Then offered $1067 in gift cards. I have copies of original order with delivery date and time, email with case number for refund and emails with Stephanie.

So they expect me to pay delivery and duty when I never signed and canceled the order?

Even a refund in cash doesn’t cover my freight and duties. A gift card is not acceptable! (What would I do with that much gift card?)

Please ideas on how to proceed, and thank You for your help!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
hi and thanks

Ordered a fridge from Home Depot online nov 15 for delivery nov 21 to port and further delivery to Turks and Caicos

Was not delivered (I have an email with delivery window). Was not notified. Can not get into my order for info. So on 22nd called Haelaigh store in Fla spoke with exporter and had a 3 way conversation with homedepot.com. .com put in a cancelation (a later delivery wouldn’t work because of boat timing and me being off island) she gave me refund process and case number

So Saturday Dec 9th I️ get a call f I’m my broker in T&C that they have a fridge from Home Depot

After numerous calls, dec 11 spoke with supervisor Neecy. She said she would contact my broker and fix everything. She would send an email, but never did.

Without a word back I called on 15th. Was told by Vermika that notation on my account was “ customer notified that she need d to iníciate return with carrier”. ??? I gave Neecy all my contact info she was going to do it and refund.

So today 15th I was switched to supervisor Stephanie who actually emailed me back and forth. She said because out of the country I’m stuck, and offered $500 gift card. Then offered $1067 in gift cards. I have copies of original order with delivery date and time, email with case number for refund and emails with Stephanie.

So they expect me to pay delivery and duty when I never signed and canceled the order?

Even a refund in cash doesn’t cover my freight and duties. A gift card is not acceptable! (What would I do with that much gift card?)

Please ideas on how to proceed, and thank You for your help!
I apologize, Barefoot, I am not following this. Could you make a list, in chronological order, of exactly what we're dealing with here?

EX: Reefer purchased in person/online/thru broker on date from store in location, cost $, paid for by what means, delivery to where by what means in date window.

We are not trying to pry, but need exact details of your situation so we can come up with a battle plan.

Dec 15, 2017
Please pry away!

Nov 15 bought online fridge homedepot.com with confirmed delivery time Nov 21 to port (Caicos Caribbean Lines) in Fla. after that it was boating to Turks and Caicos.

Nov 22 I discover it was not delivered to port (Caicos Caribbean lines) called cUstomer service, they tell me I have to call a store? (I don’t know which one) so I pick Hailaigh store closest to port. An exporter for HD there tells me I can’t order online for export because it requires additional paperwork. She calls homedepot.com with 3 way calling. (With me as third person). As new delivery dates are not good, we cancel the order. I get the case number showing the refund via email. The Hailaigh store then tries to find one to make the deadline but can’t. I’m told refund will take about 7 business days

I buy same fridge at Lowe’s, delivered, everything smooth

Dec 9 I get a call from my broker in turks, wondering why I got another fridge from Home Depot. Despite refund (which i didn’t receive) and I didn’t sign export papers, they d live red anyway.

Dec 11 (Monday) I spoke with cs, supervisor suppose to call back. I call back hours later and speak to supervisor Neecy. She tells me she will contact Sab brokerage to get fridge back, and will email me back.

Dec 15 (Friday) no emails so I call back. Vermika tells me that notation on account “customer advised to iníciate return”. I wasn’t advised. Also no info about my broker (then why did she ask?

New supervisor Amber started emailing. (Yay paper trail). Offers $500 gift card and I can sell the fridge. I decline. She then offers $1067 in gift cards.

I don’t live in Turks and Caicos. I don’t need 2 fridges there. I have an email with case number for refund that never happened. Amber said I can’t return it and that’s her best offer. She tells me it was delivered to port nov 24 (7 days after cancel) but that customer service never followed through with canc l and Caicos Caribbean Lines signed accepting it

So I’m out roughly $1500 between fridge, shipping duty fees, etc

Why am I penalized for a customer rep not following through a cancelation? I understand going to a foreign country makes things difficult, but what part is my responsibility?

Hope this makes more sense

Thanks

Dec 15, 2017
Sorry purchase price of fridge is $1067. I have not yet paid boat shipping, duty tax or broker fees yet as we don’t know what to do with it. It’s normally 38% duty tax, plus freight, plus broker

Dec 15, 2017
Sorry for going in circles--When the home depot fridge was not going to be frieghted in time and I canceled the order, I bought a different fridge in Lowes.

When I canceled the home depot fridge, I got an email dated Nov 22, "We have initiated your refund. For your convenience we have created a case number for you. Your case number is 09318131. Thank you for being a home depot customer."

Then Dec 11th from Neecy found out the cancelation had never taken place.

The biggest problem I think why HD is wiping it's hands clean is because it was shipped out of the country to Turks and Caicos.

Nov 20, 2015
In your posts you mention Home Depot wants to pay you back with gift cards instead of cash. Did you in fact pay by credit card?

If so, with the paper trail you have, you should have a good case for a chargeback in the amount you paid to Home Depot.

Also, was it you or HD who made the arrangements to ship the fridge?

Dec 15, 2017
Thanks to all—

My delivery address was the ship port—they say that shipping signed accepting for me. Caicos Caribbean Lines had a copy of my original receipt as they were suppose to receive it Nov 21.

So to complicate more, shipping lines had paper work complications. Between hurricanes and Holidays, completely overwhelmed. They had glitches in their receipts too. I was getting up to 3 duplicates for the same items (was sending other items)

In looking back, I actually did get a receipt for Home Depot fridge being received. I was in Turks and Caicos and didn’t notice. I had multiple things being sent. But HOme Depot fridge did not make it on that boat but on separate one after. After i had canceled the order I never filled out export papers for it. Because I then had other items including a fridge from Lowe’s, they just accepted it and sent it on next boat. (Too late for me as I returned to the States on the 6th)

So the ball appears to be dropped in many directions!

I just went on the fact that I had cancel number. Picking up after 2 major hurricanes can be distracting!

So to even try and mitigate my losses, I’ve actually posted on Facebook, emailed my friends and property managers, WhatsApp my neighbors, to try to sell it.

The fridge has not cleared customs yet—as my broker is waiting for me to see what we need to do.

I cannot boat it back to return it as once it leaves the US the warranty is removed, so Home Depot doesn’t even want it back. (I’m suppose to sign the export papers stating I loose my warranty from Home Depot but never signed, I did sign everything else that I loose it, including Lowe’s fridge)

Because the fridge is in Turks and Caicos Home Depot says they’re not responsible. (Wipe their hands clean once out of the country)

So how would I even win a chargeback if fridge is out of country?

Dec 15, 2017
PS to complicate matters even more, since the 2 hurricanes, most communications with Turks and Caicos is hit or miss. So phone calls and emails don’t go through, or drop halfway

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you receive the refund for the original refrigerator after they says they were initiating and were you charged for the second?

I am thinking you may need to do a credit card dispute. You have an email stating they were refunding you. But we need to know what you were or weren’t charged for.

If they never refunded your initial purchase - call your credit card company, tell them you canceled the order and have proof and send them the email.

It’s on them to get that refrigerator back if you have written proof you canceled the order.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Did you receive the refund for the original refrigerator after they says they were initiating and were you charged for the second?

I am thinking you may need to do a credit card dispute. You have an email stating they were refunding you. But we need to know what you were or weren’t charged for.

If they never refunded your initial purchase - call your credit card company, tell them you canceled the order and have proof and send them the email.

It’s on them to get that refrigerator back if you have written proof you canceled the order.
What Neil says ... this is what I'm thinking, Barefoot. The situation is simple, you ordered a reefer from Home Depot, you cancelled the order, they shipped it anyway. Hardly your fault that they didn't process the cancellation. Who hired the shipper, however, may be a factor. If HD did, you're off the hook. If you arranged for the shipping, we'll need to go to Plan B.

If HD arranged for the shipping, I'd write them a letter advising them to refund your money. They can work with the shipper to deal with the reefer; there are probably a hundred local places that reefer would be very welcome right now. Give HD ten days to process your refund, if you don't receive it, dispute the charge on your CC. Be sweet, be polite, be firm. The hurricanes were awful and the entire area will need time to recover. That, however, is not your problem. Home Depot mishandled your order, you don't have to take care of them, they're on their own to fix this.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
JSN, I am in love with your autocorrect. I keep picturing a Home Depot truck filled with marijuana. :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Dec 15, 2017
So now I’m an international drug dealer!
I arranged the shipping. So HD dropped off at port without proper paperwork, but shipper accepted it either way. (Not their fault)

I never was refunded from HD. Bought the newer (second) fridge at Lowe’s when they didn’t deliver on date as promised and didn’t notify me. So I canceled HD and bought at Lowe’s (with no problems may I add)

What’s plan B?

Jul 27, 2016
The int'l shipment is really the complex part here. If the fridge had just gone to somewhere in FL, this would be simple. Getting HD to (a) go cash out of pocket to pay for shipping, and (b) pay cash back for a fridge that apparently can't be resold with a warranty in the US, is going to be really tough.

Personally, I'd see if they can give you a cash refund for the fridge, and HD credit for whatever it cost you to ship it. You can sell HD credit for about 85 cents on the dollar on sites like raise or cardpool.

Dec 15, 2017
jsn, a laugh is always good!

Just a Guy, that's exactly what I'm getting, "shipping accepted the delivery."

Just got the freight/duty/brokerage invoice, $828.95
I have to pay this to release it to even sell it! I've advertised on Facebook, group chats, sent emails to property managers and friends on island, even my broker is putting the word out. No one wants it.

I don't live there, I have nowhere to store it.

So it cost me $1895.95, of which HD has offered $1067 in gift cards. They said I can sell the fridge. I can't. I've tried.

How do I counter offer?

Jul 27, 2016
jsn, a laugh is always good!

Just a Guy, that's exactly what I'm getting, "shipping accepted the delivery."

Just got the freight/duty/brokerage invoice, $828.95
I have to pay this to release it to even sell it! I've advertised on Facebook, group chats, sent emails to property managers and friends on island, even my broker is putting the word out. No one wants it.

I don't live there, I have nowhere to store it.

So it cost me $1895.95, of which HD has offered $1067 in gift cards. They said I can sell the fridge. I can't. I've tried.

How do I counter offer?
HD doesn't want it back, presumably, since they can't resell it either. Plus you'd have to pay several hundred dollars (I'd assume) to get it back to the US.

You're getting no offers to buy it at all? This is a fridge that would cost $1800 to deliver to T&C, right? I'd put the word out "pay the freight/duty invoice, and it's yours," and ask HD for another $200 in gift cards. Then, sell the gift cards for around $1100, and you've broken even.