Home Depot Changes My Name To 'fgt'

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 10, 2017
I called Home Depot Pro at 866-333-3551 and was shocked to receive an email from them changing my name from Xxxx to "fgt".

I looked up what fgt means:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fgt
fgt
Short for "faggot" technically so you don't get banned from forums or something.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/faggot
Faggot is an offensive slang term for a gay man...... the word faggot should be used very carefully or avoided completely.
Faggot is an extremely offensive word for a homosexual (gay) man. This is word that has been used to make gay men ashamed of themselves.

Begin forwarded message:

From: The Home Depot Pro Loyalty <No_Reply_ProLoyalty@HomeDepot.com>
Date: September 6, 2017 at 11:55:09 AM EDT
To:
Subject: Profile Update Email

Dear fgt,

Your account profile has been updated.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Well, HDShock, I don't care what your sexual preference is. I surely hope you're not ashamed of whatever it is. Why would Home Depot care? Sounds like a fat-finger issue. Are you looking for advice or did you just want to bring this to our attention?

Sep 10, 2017
Well, HDShock, I don't care what your sexual preference is. I surely hope you're not ashamed of whatever it is. Why would Home Depot care? Sounds like a fat-finger issue. Are you looking for advice or did you just want to bring this to our attention?
As part of the verification process I had to confirm my name, address, phone number and email address. I do not have a f or a g or a t in my name, and it was changed from my first name to 'fgt'. Advice please.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Use the company contacts like Neil suggested. Write the first executive on the list and inform them of what happened. Don't write them all at once and don't start with the CEO. Wait a week, if you don't get a response then move up the chain.

Feb 9, 2016
they'll be able to determine who made the changes based on the timestamp of the email you received.

Feb 9, 2016
Thanks and I hope they will take disciplinary action/s.
well, the only problem with your desire is that first you have to PROVE that the intention of the employee was to be derogatory. The employee in question is going to call it an honest mistake. I'm willing to bet that the company dismisses your inquiry by saying there is no way they can tell when the change was made, and/or by whom. Unfortunately you cant prove otherwise.

Jan 11, 2017
OR fgt could mean feeling great today in internet chat
Any three-four-five letter abbrevation could be as much innocent as much vulgar.
http://acronymsandslang.com/meaning-of/chat-and-sub-cultures/fgt.html

I do not think anybody sits there and typing insults. It is probably a computer program, that failed to put there the correct name. Who put the fgt in the original template? I do not think they could find it easily.

I would write something : 'please check your program, to avoid unintended insults to your loyal shoppers'.

Feb 9, 2016
Any three-four-five letter abbrevation could be as much innocent as much vulgar.

I do not think anybody sits there and typing insults. It is probably a computer program, that failed to put there the correct name. Who put the fgt in the original template? I do not think they could find it easily.

I would write something : 'please check your program, to avoid unintended insults to your loyal shoppers'.
Unfortunately, in this day and age, people make these changes intentionally and maliciously

that said, I definitely believe that you need to approach the situation in an ignorant manner. simply ask which employee made the change, that you feel it is a derogatory comment, and could you ask the employee what the intention was. don't be accusatory

Sep 10, 2017

If it was a computer program, I would think that tens or hundreds, if not thousands of people would received emails from Home Depot addressing them as "Dear fgt,".

Sep 10, 2017
Unfortunately, in this day and age, people make these changes intentionally and maliciously

that said, I definitely believe that you need to approach the situation in an ignorant manner. simply ask which employee made the change, that you feel it is a derogatory comment, and could you ask the employee what the intention was. don't be accusatory
You are correct, here is an example of one I came across:

Comcast thinks my husband is an a**hole – and they put it in writing

http://www.elliott.org/is-this-enough-compensation/comcast-thinks-husband-ahole-put-writing/

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/respecting-our-customers

"...We have apologized to our customer for this unacceptable situation and addressed it directly with the employee who will no longer be working on behalf of Comcast...."

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017

You are correct, here is another example I came across:

Uber Customer Service Rep Changes Woman's Name To 'Bitch' After She Complains

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...stomer-name-bitch_us_59aeeb16e4b0b5e53101704e

“The behavior of this agent is unacceptable, and he is no longer working with us as a result,” the spokesman said. “High quality customer service is something we strive for every day, and we’re disappointed this standard wasn’t met in this situation.”

Dec 11, 2016
I try not to attribute something to maliciousness that can easily be explained by error.

My sister received an ad in the mail, promoting a sappy piece of jewelry inscribed with the name of your spouse. According to the ad, buying the jewelry would show your spouse just how much you loved him. Of course the ad listed my father's name as her spouse, and dear old dad had passed away suddenly just a few months before. To say the advert was upsetting is putting it mildly, but I also realize no one was intentionally trying to cause pain.

I'm not saying you shouldn't complain about it, I really do think you should. But I'm not sure I'd automatically assume it was done intentionally.

Yes, I have. Thanks.
Having been a technology manager for well over 30 years, this is my view of what "may" have happened. These emails/form letters/ etc that go out are computer generated, with what are call "macro placeholders" for the variable information that needs to be put in. For example, who it is being addressed to, their email address, and possibly any additional information that does not come as part of the standard " Your account profile has been updated" email template. I believe that it is a real possibility that the agent you spoke with did not populate the field on his computer screen that was supposed to contain your name and so the computer program that automatically generated this email which is incredibly stupid, since it cannot think, it can only do what some human computer programmer has instructed it to do, simply defaulted to the "placeholder" which said programmer or the underlying macro processing logic, for whatever reason, defaulted to "fgt". No need to have thousands go out this way due to a "computer error". It was most likely what we call "operator error". FGT could mean something as simple as "forgot" as in whoever was supposed to enter your name in this field forgot to. To an old tech guy like me, this would seem to be a reasonable possibility as opposed to something more sinister.