HOLIDAY INN MANHATTAN FINANCIAL DISTRICT

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 11, 2018
I’m hoping someone can help with my situation. I stayed at the above hotel with my 2 daughters from 31st March until 4th April. Unfortunately on our last morning I managed to spill half a cup of coffee over the bed. I removed all the bedding from the bed and left a note and a small tip explaining this. When we returned home we noticed that my daughters debit card had been debited by £71.42 on the 1st of April and £390.17 on the 5th April and a further £476.06 on the 6th April. We sent numerous emails to the hotel and got no reply. It was only after contacting the IHG Head Office in Uk to raise a complaint that we were told that the money was taken for damage to the mattress and linens due to the spilled coffee.

Firstly I think we should have been contacted regarding this before they deducted any money from the account.

Secondly I’m not disputing that there should have been a charge involved for cleaning the linens and mattress but I think this is excessive. I asked for the linens to be kept and was told they had been given to a homeless charity and when I asked for the address of the charity I was told they were so badly damaged (from a coffee stain) that they were destroyed.

The hotel have offered us $100 dollars refund approx £70. Apparently the charges on the 1st and 5th are pending charges but we are still without the funds.

Can someone offer any advice please?

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
There are company contacts here for Holiday Inn, as well as a link on how to proceed with them. Personally I think charging you for the mattress and bedding is ridiculous - that's what hotels have insurance for! It's too bad you used a debit card, which does not have any chargeback or dispute protections like a credit card.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/intercontinental-hotels/

Sep 19, 2015
Unfortunately if a business runs a debit card there can be a floating authorization -- I see you are in the UK, is there any time limit as to how long an authorization can be held? An authorization run on the 1st or 5th of the month should not be lingering almost three weeks later -- but I am basing my observation on my US bank policies.

So right now the total is GBP 476.06? That does seem like a lot. May I ask, did the coffee soak down to the mattress?

Hotels are likely not going to keep stained linens, and a homeless charity in the city is not going to answer questions about whether they got something from X or Y,, so that will not go anywhere. And it is true that most charities do not want permanently stained items.

Did you bring this up to the hotel management before departing? Sometimes the housekeeping does not come until the afternoon giving a stain more time to set.

I understand hotels have insurance but,as with personal insurance, there is a deductible and this may not reach that level so no claim filed.

I do think there should be an explanation of the charges.

Apr 11, 2018
Unfortunately if a business runs a debit card there can be a floating authorization -- I see you are in the UK, is there any time limit as to how long an authorization can be held? An authorization run on the 1st or 5th of the month should not be lingering almost three weeks later -- but I am basing my observation on my US bank policies.

So right now the total is GBP 476.06? That does seem like a lot. May I ask, did the coffee soak down to the mattress?

Hotels are likely not going to keep stained linens, and a homeless charity in the city is not going to answer questions about whether they got something from X or Y,, so that will not go anywhere. And it is true that most charities do not want permanently stained items.

Did you bring this up to the hotel management before departing? Sometimes the housekeeping does not come until the afternoon giving a stain more time to set.

I understand hotels have insurance but,as with personal insurance, there is a deductible and this may not reach that level so no claim filed.

Thanks for your response Christine.

I agree with AMA- use our company contacts on top and plead with the Executives for a fair price.
Read how to write first- skip the customer service and start at the first executive.
Thanks for your reply Neil and AMA
I agree with AMA- use our company contacts on top and plead with the Executives for a fair price.
Read how to write first- skip the customer service and start at the first executive.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What an annoying problem. I've spilled something on a hotel bed and left it exactly as you did ... a note with a little tip ... without any issue. Coffee does not ruin linens for sure ... if the mattress could not be cleaned properly, they'd just turn it over. HI decided that you were a good candidate for a little extra revenue, since you live outside the US. The HI people probably don't realize that IHG is headquartered in the UK.

But I am unclear as to the amount they actually charged for the coffee spill. You list 3 amounts on a debit card ... I've never used one but understand that there are "hold amounts" sometimes charged, as I believe you are indicating. I've been a loyal IHG person for years and they are just a tiny bit "different" when it comes to customer service. I believe they'll help you, it may take some extra patience and persistence on your part.

Apr 11, 2018
HiThanks for all the help and advice. I contacted Mr Barr who is the CEO of IHG and Mr Zoloth, Director of Global Guest Relations. They both passed my email on to Mr Michael Lawyer, Executive Liaison from the Executive Office. I have cut and pasted his email below. Any advice on anything I can do now as I think I have hit a brick wall. I really appreciate your time.Thanks

Dear Mrs. Ramsay, Greetings from the IHG Executive Office. Both Mr. Barr & Mr. Zoloth received your separate emails about this situation, and I apologize this continues to be a source of frustration for you. Please note that for ease of communication and Mr. Barr's decision, I'll be your only point of contact with IHG. You will not receive separate communications from any other IHG office about this matter. While I understand your desire for further goodwill from the Holiday Inn Manhattan-Financial District management, they confirmed they were unable to clean the mattress to be able to reuse it in the room. As such they had to remove the mattress from use, and had to purchase a new mattress. I'm sorry this situation happened, as I know you did not intend to cause the damage to the mattress. That being said, as previously advised, IHG supports our hotel's ability to charge for damages to the room. I apologize that we do not have any other response to provide in this matter. Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments with us, Mrs. Ramsay. If you have any further questions about this situation, please continue communicating with Mr. Riley directly. Kind regards,

Michael Lawyer

Executive Liaison
IHG®

P.O. Box 30321, Salt Lake City, UT 84130, USA
Tel: 801-887-7469 | Fax: 801-975-1846 | gr.corporateliaison@ihg.com

Mar 17, 2015
I would write back and ask for a reasonable deduction for depreciation. That was not a brand new mattress on the first day of use (at least, I am hoping not). Generally speaking, the hotel is not actually entitled to a brand new mattress, they are entitled to a replacement of what they lost. So, given that this was most likely not a brand new mattress, you should not be charged for one, you should only be charged for the replacement value of the item lost at the time it was damaged. Without knowing how often they have to replace mattresses, I would think that an offer of around half should be accepted.

Sep 19, 2015
I would write back and ask for a reasonable deduction for depreciation. That was not a brand new mattress on the first day of use (at least, I am hoping not). Generally speaking, the hotel is not actually entitled to a brand new mattress, they are entitled to a replacement of what they lost. So, given that this was most likely not a brand new mattress, you should not be charged for one, you should only be charged for the replacement value of the item lost at the time it was damaged. Without knowing how often they have to replace mattresses, I would think that an offer of around half should be accepted.
[
I am not sure that is a valid argument. These terms tend to be used in insurance and policies dictate it. The hotel could argue that they had to buy a new mattress, as in NY there are regulations and restrictions on the sale of used mattresses because of bedbugs and they needed to be made whole as quickly as possible so the room could be used. Last I want to see is hotels start billing for loss of use or revenue like car rentals.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
HiThanks for all the help and advice. I contacted Mr Barr who is the CEO of IHG and Mr Zoloth, Director of Global Guest Relations. They both passed my email on to Mr Michael Lawyer, Executive Liaison from the Executive Office. I have cut and pasted his email below. Any advice on anything I can do now as I think I have hit a brick wall. I really appreciate your time.Thanks

Dear Mrs. Ramsay, Greetings from the IHG Executive Office. Both Mr. Barr & Mr. Zoloth received your separate emails about this situation, and I apologize this continues to be a source of frustration for you. Please note that for ease of communication and Mr. Barr's decision, I'll be your only point of contact with IHG. You will not receive separate communications from any other IHG office about this matter. While I understand your desire for further goodwill from the Holiday Inn Manhattan-Financial District management, they confirmed they were unable to clean the mattress to be able to reuse it in the room. As such they had to remove the mattress from use, and had to purchase a new mattress. I'm sorry this situation happened, as I know you did not intend to cause the damage to the mattress. That being said, as previously advised, IHG supports our hotel's ability to charge for damages to the room. I apologize that we do not have any other response to provide in this matter. Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments with us, Mrs. Ramsay. If you have any further questions about this situation, please continue communicating with Mr. Riley directly. Kind regards,

Michael Lawyer

Executive Liaison
IHG®

P.O. Box 30321, Salt Lake City, UT 84130, USA
Tel: 801-887-7469 | Fax: 801-975-1846 | gr.corporateliaison@ihg.com

Wowzer, unless the hotel has proof that you ruined the mattress, which is doubtful, these guys are real idiots. I think I was an Executive Liason once, after I got tired of the title of Secretary.

We stayed at a new Holiday Inn Express at SFO a few years ago. It had not a shred of soundproofing, we didn't sleep a wink. When I complained to IHG, they gave me 5K points. I am a platinum at IHG and run a balance of 150K points most of the time. So the 5K was a real slap in the face. They seem to be quite good at it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Wowzer, unless the hotel has proof that you ruined the mattress, which is doubtful, these guys are real idiots. I think I was an Executive Liason once, after I got tired of the title of Secretary.

We stayed at a new Holiday Inn Express at SFO a few years ago. It had not a shred of soundproofing, we didn't sleep a wink. When I complained to IHG, they gave me 5K points. I am a platinum at IHG and run a balance of 150K points most of the time. So the 5K was a real slap in the face. They seem to be quite good at it.
She admitted she spilled the coffee -I’m not sure how she could say the hotel needed to provide proof she ruined it. If I found a stain like that on the mattress, I would freak. They had to replace the mattress. I agree she should perhaps ask for a copy of the new mattress bIll

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I sincerely hope that you don't ever turn over a hotel mattress, Neil! Hotel mattresses experience many more stains than an occasional cup of coffee ... my point is that it's not difficult to clean them and if a stain refuses to budge, they just turn the thing over. Otherwise they'd be replacing 10% of their mattresses every week. I firmly believe the hotel is cheating her. When it comes to hotels, anything goes. I do my best to just not think about it when I check in.

Sep 19, 2015
Some mattresses can not be properly flipped to hide stains — such as pillow tops.

Coffee stains can be minimized if attended to quickly. The problem is that the OP did not immediately notify housekeeping or the front desk but checked out and left a note. So the coffee stain could have set as housekeeping may have come hours later.

Also set in coffee stains can look like um stains from other bodily functions and that may make other guests complain thinking it is something else.

I do actually pull the sheets off to examine the mattress for signs of bedbugs and a brown stain on a mattress would make me leave the room.

I tried to google the Holiday Inn to see what type of mattresses they use and using the search terms of the hotel, location and mattress I saw that the OP has already left a detailed negative review on yelp before coming here so I suspect the hotel knows about that and is not interested in further discussion.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I do actually pull the sheets off to examine the mattress for signs of bedbugs and a brown stain on a mattress would make me leave the room.

I tried to google the Holiday Inn to see what type of mattresses they use and using the search terms of the hotel, location and mattress I saw that the OP has already left a detailed negative review on yelp before coming here so I suspect the hotel knows about that and is not interested in further discussion.
I agree- I would be out of there if I found a stain like that. I also check when we arrive too.

It’s unfortunate our writer left that review on Yelp. I agree with Christina- that is not going to help trying to have them negotiate.