Holiday Inn Debacle

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 28, 2015
New York
I did not file a dispute with my credit card, which was a Chase United Plus Visa, just called and asked to dispute the charges. When that got me nowhere, I assumed that I had to try to work with Holiday Inn. I kept only the reservation number, the cancellation number, and of course I have a case number with Customer Service that documents the dozen or so phone communications I have had with them. I didn't think I needed to hang on to the emails and have certainly learned a critical lesson should I ever venture to travel again.

You are correct, AAGK, that I truly thought I was making a refundable reservation, because I knew my plans were not yet firm. If I clicked on the non-refundable as they say I did, the two buttons must have been right next to each other and my finger must have slipped.

Holiday Inn Georgetown Washington DC says they are entitled to keep the $1104.95 payment for the 5 day stay because they say these were the terms of the reservation that they say I agreed to. They offer no proof of this, but they have my money and I am out over $1100.00
Don't worry- there is hope. Call Chase back and tell them you are disputing the charge. Explain that you have tried to work it out with the merchant and you have finally realized it will not get you anywhere. That is the place to start right now. Chase will send you a form In about a week and fill it out as best you can. I saw something on the Holiday Inn website about keeping only one night's rate. See if that rule applies and print it out and send it to chase when they ask you for documents. They may not even ask.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Don't be discouraged by your call to chase. You are not too late, you lost time trying to resolve it with the merchant, that is a good thing. Chase will like that. Don't worry about the documents or confirmation numbers until chase tells you specifically what they need, but keep everything you currently have or receive. The funds will be frozen, you will not have to pay and the hotel will not receive, until the conclusion of Chase's investigation. Chase is fair about these things.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Not sure if this is appropriate here but google, "Holiday Inn's reservations are nonrefundable?" You will get to another site where someone had the same issue and everyone was confused because the site said he would only be responsible for the first night. Apparently this is a recurring issue.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Yes, she did, I think. I am confused as to why they won't just charge her for one night and refund the rest. I looked at their website, that seems to be the policy. If she got a cheaper rate than the one that allows you to do that, how about offering to pay one night at the one night charged rate?

Yes, she did, I think. I am confused as to why they won't just charge her for one night and refund the rest. I looked at their website, that seems to be the policy. If she got a cheaper rate than the one that allows you to do that, how about offering to pay one night at the one night charged rate?
My point was, the original post was about an Arlington Holiday Inn and now this one concerns a Georgetown Holiday Inn. Same price and details, different hotel?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Don't worry- there is hope. Call Chase back and tell them you are disputing the charge. Explain that you have tried to work it out with the merchant and you have finally realized it will not get you anywhere. That is the place to start right now. Chase will send you a form In about a week and fill it out as best you can. I saw something on the Holiday Inn website about keeping only one night's rate. See if that rule applies and print it out and send it to chase when they ask you for documents. They may not even ask.
I agree, Aagk, Chase is out to please their customers and show up their competition. Andrea, you can dispute the charge online if you like.

I don't think this is that same poster just a very similar story!
Identical story. Same dates. Same amount. I just checked an email I had forgotten to delete from the previous forum - - A.M.W. were the LW's initials on the August 26th post. There's nothing wrong with Andrea W re-posting but it's a slightly different Holiday Inn this time and it struck me as odd. Not trying to be judgmental, just curious. I wish her luck.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Wonder why the change in hotels? Odd ;)
Correct me if I'm wrong but each Holiday Inn is individually owned so some cancellation policies would or could be different (rules & restrictions) from one property to the next. So if this is the same client, the change in Hotel locations creats an issue. We can't tell what the rules are or read past reviews if we don't know for sure which property is the one she stayed at???? Our research is a waste if we for some reason are checking into the wrong property!

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Identical story. Same dates. Same amount. I just checked an email I had forgotten to delete from the previous forum - - A.M.W. were the LW's initials on the August 26th post. There's nothing wrong with Andrea W re-posting but it's a slightly different Holiday Inn this time and it struck me as odd. Not trying to be judgmental, just curious. I wish her luck.
Good catch, George. This is VERY odd!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Wonder why the change in hotels? Odd ;)
Correct me if I'm wrong but each Holiday Inn is individually owned so some cancellation policies would or could be different (rules & restrictions) from one property to the next. So if this is the same client, the change in Hotel locations creats an issue. We can't tell what the rules are or read past reviews if we don't know for sure which property is the one she stayed at???? Our research is a waste if we for some reason are checking into the wrong property!
As far as I know, all Holiday Inns run under the same rules, even tho many of them are individually managed. I know from experience that there are large management companies that run maybe 20 Holiday Inns in an area. These guys may or may not be easy to deal with, but in the end they have to follow IHG's guidelines to belong to the chain.

I just had a 7 month "conversation" with an HI in Florida about a measly $114 deposit ... they were, shall we say, less than customer oriented. I eventually filed a dispute with Chase, who issues my IGH Visa, and the HI argued with them as well! Finally I told Chase to make them prove they didn't have my money. That seemed to do the trick.

This kind of treatment leaves a bad taste in your mouth ... but consider that hotels in tourist areas know they'll probably never see their customers again, so their CS procedures are a little skewed. The more I travel, the most I comprehend the "velvet hammer" concept! Keep smiling, be polite and don't back down from your stance, eventually right will prevail. Always be careful, because sometimes YOU are wrong!

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2015
New York
Great catch, George. I assumed it was the same poster but I couldn't figure out which holiday inn it was then or now so I just assumed they were the same property. Perhaps that is the problem here- poster booked the wrong hotel or something.

Aug 28, 2015
Hi All,

Same poster, same Holiday Inn! After the server crashed I used the more correct hotel identifier when I re-posted. Sorry for the confusion, and sorry for not responding to further queries more quickly.

Based on the kind advice of many on this forum, I've sent an email to the first IHG executive listed on this site, Chris Zoloth. Having received no response from him in 9 days, I'll now write to the next executive on the list and hope for some assistance.

I think it might be best to allow IHG to resolve this first without involving my credit card company so will only switch gears to work with Chase if I must. I'm sure Holiday Inn wants to "do the right thing," as their website says. Do you all agree?

Thanks again - Andrea

Aug 28, 2015
I've contacted Chase Card Services again and asked to file a formal dispute. The gentleman called Washington DC Georgetown Holiday Inn and attempted to interevene for me. Holiday Inn management continues to contend that I agreed to this, so they will not refund me.

Chase said there is nothing further they can do.

I sent an email to Kevin Randall at IHG since I heard nothing from Chris Zoloth at IHG after 9 days. So far no word.

This is most discouraging!

Andrea

Jan 17, 2015
PNW
The most common response you get in any dispute like this is the equivalent of "no! go away!". Keep plugging away and keep copies of everything.