1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Hilton Honors Account got revoked

Discussion in 'Hilton' started by Fuyuki Hinata, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Fuyuki Hinata

Hilton unilaterally closed my HH account and commensurate my award points. Here is the message they sent to me.

"Your Hilton Honors account was reported for selling rooms and we investigated the reservation history and it follows the same pattern as members who have sold rooms/points. We noted that you received multiple tier upgrades on the account of which you are only allowed one tier status match per lifetime of the account. A corporate rate for IBM was used to book rooms and you are not eligible to receive this rate as well. Based on our investigation and the reports listed above the account will stay closed."

I did not involve in any activities of selling rooms and points. I stayed in the room for every night I booked. I have used IBM corporate rate but the front desk of my frequent visited Hilton is aware of that but not forbid me from doing so. Don't they overact upon this issue to close my account even without a warning upfront.

There is only one thing I don't understand :"received multiple tier upgrades on the account of which you are only allowed one tier status match per lifetime of the account". Could anyone give a hand on understanding this piece?

I am still shocked that they take the action without any substantial evidence, and so disappointed they punish me as a loyal and frequent customer. Appreciate anyone giving me any advice on next step strategies.

Ciao!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Do you work for IBM? If you don't, it's fraud and that is the substantial evidence they need.

Someone reported your activities. Was it possibly the hotel itself? It very well could have been if you say they knew. You might have just had a hotel employee who turned you in.

honestpointofview likes this.
  3. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

This is a shame, Fuyuki. It doesn't matter what the hotel thinks, if you are using an IBM rate to which you are not entitled, it's fraud and HH will confiscate your points, then cancel your account. The whole hotel loyalty thing has become big business, points are so easy to earn through credit cards and tier bonuses ... and the big guys have awakened to reality over the last couple of years. I would imagine that HH has an entire department now that looks into suspicious activity of any kind.

In my experience, a status match works like this: I have Diamond status at Hilton and I want to use some Best Western hotels in Europe. I wrote a letter or filled out an online form to Best Western asking for them to match this status in their rewards program (I forget what it's called). Did you achieve status at HH based on your status with another chain? That's a 'status match'. It's usually good for a year and if you don't qualify for that status during the year, you'll lose it. You'll need to read all the terms and conditions of HH to see what they allow.

Most large hotel chains want your business, so they will match your status at another chain as an enticement to you.

4. technomage1

Staff Member Forum Director

You can try to appeal to Hilton using our "Company Contacts" at the top of the page. But be forewarned that if you defrauded them by using a rate you weren't entitled to, they had every right to revoke your membership per their terms and conditions of the loyalty program.

Neil likes this.
  5. rbrunson

Not condoning using the IBM rate, but typically it is a partner rate which is not restricted to IBM employees. There are several thousand IBM partners according to its web page. If the OP is employed by any of the partners, the points probably shouldn't have been forfeited.

6. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Rbrunson, in the original letter the writer admits using the IBM rate and the way its written sounds like he or she knew they shouldn't have used it.

I believe there is more to the story than our letter writer has stated. Perhaps they were getting upgrades they weren't entitled to or bringing others in? The writer has read our questions but not answered them as to whether they were entitled to use the IBM rate. If it wasn't answered it leads me to believe they might have known they shouldn't have used it.

Someone turned him or her in. I wish we had more of the story because there has the be more to it. I could be wrong though, I think a hotel employee may have reported something and if the info reported is not true that they should go back to the hotel they usually use and find out if someone there reported it to Hilton.

If the writer would provide more info perhaps we can Helen but the only thing to do is use our company contacts and write as Tech advised. If the info Hilton has is wrong and he/she didnt improperly use the IBM rate (which they admit) then they need to fight it out with Hilton.

honestpointofview likes this.
  7. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

I'll just add that is sounds like LW is saying that the front desk was complicit that they were booking an IBM rate when they were not supposed to and LW is confused that he would now be admonished for such a thing.

Fuyuki Hinata - No one at the front desk is interested in causing a scene with you, which is what might have happened if they had tried to deny you the IBM rate. They book you in and flag the account for review.

8. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Using a corporate rate to which you're not entitled is a very small part of the problem, I just picked the easiest one to address. Our OP stated that he was told "Your Hilton Honors account was reported for selling rooms and we investigated the reservation history and it follows the same pattern as members who have sold rooms/points. We noted that you received multiple tier upgrades on the account of which you are only allowed one tier status match per lifetime of the account." The excessive status match is probably no biggie either. The 'selling' of points or rooms is the crux of the problem I think. Probably runs along the lines of the gift card scams we hear about.

Neil and AAGK like this.
  9. AAGK

It seems Hilton believes he is selling his upgrades or selling/bartering points for cash.

jsn55 likes this.