Hilton did the right thing . . . should not have needed to.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
By way of full disclosure - I am a gold member of the Hilton Honors Program - due to my use of their AMEX card.

The Hilton app for iOS is fairly decent - it gives you the lay of the land on free rooms and discounts and hotel locations - what you basically need.

It has a major fault however - and this fault lies in the how it operates at its core.

you enter a place and dates and it lists hotels. However - once you pick a hotel, if you go BACK to the hotel list- it resets the dates to TODAY. Doesn't matter that you correctly entered the dates, if you want to select a different hotel, then you will get today's dates. This is not a feature, it is a bug that bit me over the weekend.

I am usually pretty good about catching these bugs before they bite- but this one did and instead of getting two rooms for this friday I got two rooms for the last Sat night. I immediately called and they took care of it - they were clearly aware of what they called a chronic problem - but also told me if I was not an elite the standard line is to blame the customer. . . . .

So while they the right thing and rebooked me for the correct nights - you have to wonder about the bug in the system that must bite alot of people. The CSR's know about this issue - and have complained - and nothing happens. If this was a bug that cost the company money, they'd be on it in a heartbeat.

By way of full disclosure - I am a gold member of the Hilton Honors Program - due to my use of their AMEX card.

The Hilton app for iOS is fairly decent - it gives you the lay of the land on free rooms and discounts and hotel locations - what you basically need.

It has a major fault however - and this fault lies in the how it operates at its core.

you enter a place and dates and it lists hotels. However - once you pick a hotel, if you go BACK to the hotel list- it resets the dates to TODAY. Doesn't matter that you correctly entered the dates, if you want to select a different hotel, then you will get today's dates. This is not a feature, it is a bug that bit me over the weekend.

I am usually pretty good about catching these bugs before they bite- but this one did and instead of getting two rooms for this friday I got two rooms for the last Sat night. I immediately called and they took care of it - they were clearly aware of what they called a chronic problem - but also told me if I was not an elite the standard line is to blame the customer. . . . .

So while they the right thing and rebooked me for the correct nights - you have to wonder about the bug in the system that must bite alot of people. The CSR's know about this issue - and have complained - and nothing happens. If this was a bug that cost the company money, they'd be on it in a heartbeat.
This flaw is not limited to Hilton. Lots of other hotel and car rental sites default to the current, or next available date when you change pages. I've always caught the problem before final checkout but it easily could have gone the other way.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
And I thought I was the only one! Only once have I been truly 'caught' with the date thing and Hilton, but it's beyond annoying. I remember booking something to show my computer guy what the problem was with my computer ... by the time I was done I had booked the SFO Embassy Suites @ $354 for that night.

I called HHonors, the guy wanted to argue with me, said I should call the hotel, blah blah blah ... finally I said "Look, I'm busy, I explained to you what happened, and I want you to cancel this res right now." So he did.