HH Gregg No Response

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 20, 2016
I purchased a dishwasher for a condo unit that we manage and scheduled delivery for a specific date. I requested that delivery happen as early in the day as possible, since the condo association will only take delivery between certain hours. Got an automated call Monday night to confirm Tues delivery, but the time range is sent in an email at 9:57 PM Monday night. Tuesday morning I called to tell them no one could be at the condo to take delivery during the hours they specified in the email. I got the automated answer and sat on hold for 47 Minutes before I spoke to someone for 3 minutes and they put be on hold for another 10 minutes. This is a total of 57 minutes on hold. I finally was able to re scheduled for Thursday, 12/15. Again, I get the email Wednesday night at 9:57 PM, that delivery was for between 4:45 - 7:45 PM. Again too late, since the building will not take delivery after 3:00 PM. I could not reach anyone to cancel.
Now when I call, I get the automated message that HH Gregg has cannot take my call due to a high volume of calls and I need to try back later and it hangs up on me.
I cannot believe they do not have the staff to take a call from a customer that is spending hundreds of dollars at their store.
We are having a contractor purchase the dishwasher and install it.
This is $467 and hours of my time now.
I would like to cancel my order and be completely refunded. Order no **********.
I can't do business with a company that does so blatantly ignores their consumers.

My co-worker found a fax number for the corporate office and has sent 2 letters regarding our situation and they have not responded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 27, 2016
Credit card chargeback.

They failed to deliver the merchandise as promised, and you have tried to communicate with them, but their system hangs up on you. Done and done.

Feb 9, 2016
Credit card chargeback.

They failed to deliver the merchandise as promised, and you have tried to communicate with them, but their system hangs up on you. Done and done.
This is a good idea but I think a bit premature.
I may be wrong but, as long as the unit isn't actually delivered and installed, and everyone has acted in good faith, the contract remains unfulfilled and ends up ull and void and the store has to refund the money, The contract is for unit, delivery, installation so no unit, no legal payment can be had. The customer has been acting in good faith attempting to get the delivery rescheduled. I would try a few more times to get a real live person before I purchase a new unit and have it installed AND I would comb over that contract to make sure it doesn't stipulate anything that may adversely affect the customer.

Jul 27, 2016
This is a good idea but I think a bit premature.
I may be wrong but, as long as the unit isn't actually delivered and installed, and everyone has acted in good faith, the contract remains unfulfilled and ends up ull and void and the store has to refund the money, The contract is for unit, delivery, installation so no unit, no legal payment can be had. The customer has been acting in good faith attempting to get the delivery rescheduled. I would try a few more times to get a real live person before I purchase a new unit and have it installed AND I would comb over that contract to make sure it doesn't stipulate anything that may adversely affect the customer.
The agreement was for delivery during the hours when the condo could take deliveries. HH Gregg has failed to abide by that contract, and hasn't been willing to actually communicate with the customer, despite more than reasonable efforts by the customer to do so.

Chargeback.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Chargebacks create paperwork for both the merchant and the consumer. You have to file paperwork to prove your claim. Most of the time its easier and faster to work with the merchant. Chargebacks have their place, but its always prefeable to try and work things out first.

Nov 14, 2016
The agreement was for delivery during the hours when the condo could take deliveries. HH Gregg has failed to abide by that contract, and hasn't been willing to actually communicate with the customer, despite more than reasonable efforts by the customer to do so.

Chargeback.
Actually, that's not correct. The contract almost certainly doesn't stipulate that. That's a customer request and a very different thing than a contract. Furthermore, it's almost certain that a verbal request - or even verbal agreement - cannot override this contract.

This probably isn't a case of a company acting horribly. This is more likely a case of a miscommunication compounded by it being a retailer's most busy season - which means that they're inundated with calls and deliveries. No retail chain can staff up to the level of need which is why you find longer lines, longer call times and longer delivery days during this period of time. This is compounded by the weird rules of the condo association that both the customer and HH Greg is trying to work around.

There's no reason to pursue the nuclear option because this has been delayed a couple of days. IMO, that's just unnecessary and antagonistic. The original poster should just drive down to the HH Greg they bought the unit at, go in there, state that they haven't delivered and that he/she is no longer willing to wait. Get a refund and go on with life - that's what most people would do because it is the best course of action. Only if they run into a problem at the store should they escalate it.

The chargeback process is intended to be used when you are unable to resolve an issue with a merchant directly and they really haven't gone to the merchant yet. Furthermore, a chargeback doesn't mean that HH Greg wouldn't try to collect this via different means (though almost certainly they wouldn't) and you can have your card canceled for excessive chargebacks. Not to mention it's not foolproof. What happens if they try a chargeback, the credit card rules in favor of the MERCHANT and the original poster has already purchased another dishwasher? Now they have a major problem. Save the charge back for a time when they really need it.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2016

Chargeback.
My biggest question is, was the agreement for delivery during specific hours written ON the contract? If not, how is the customer going to prove it? (not that the customer will have an issue, mind you - we dont know that yet)

This is why (if it isnt written) I suggested that the customer try a few more times to get delivery during the specifically stated hours - and document that effort. Both parties have to demonstrate that they are acting in good faith. If the effort is made to communicate customers needs, and those needs cant (or wont) be met, there is sufficient basis (in my non lawyer mind) to consider the contract incomplete and thus voided. Perhaps then the consumer can request a refund from the store, and that refund will be processed.

I definitely think it is extremely hasty to make a second purchase based on your decision that you can void a contractual agreement because you are frustrated you cant get thru to the company. I worry that the contract is going to address this situation and the consumer is going to have a larger issue on their hands. What if there is something in the contract that states that there will be a restocking fee, etc? What if the contract states that mediation will occur before the contract can be voided? In these cases a charge back will be determined in the favor of the company.

Too many unknowns for me

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I purchased a dishwasher for a condo unit that we manage and scheduled delivery for a specific date. I requested that delivery happen as early in the day as possible, since the condo association will only take delivery between certain hours. Got an automated call Monday night to confirm Tues delivery, but the time range is sent in an email at 9:57 PM Monday night. Tuesday morning I called to tell them no one could be at the condo to take delivery during the hours they specified in the email. I got the automated answer and sat on hold for 47 Minutes before I spoke to someone for 3 minutes and they put be on hold for another 10 minutes. This is a total of 57 minutes on hold. I finally was able to re scheduled for Thursday, 12/15. Again, I get the email Wednesday night at 9:57 PM, that delivery was for between 4:45 - 7:45 PM. Again too late, since the building will not take delivery after 3:00 PM. I could not reach anyone to cancel.
Now when I call, I get the automated message that HH Gregg has cannot take my call due to a high volume of calls and I need to try back later and it hangs up on me.
I cannot believe they do not have the staff to take a call from a customer that is spending hundreds of dollars at their store.
We are having a contractor purchase the dishwasher and install it.
This is $467 and hours of my time now.
I would like to cancel my order and be completely refunded. Order no **********.
I can't do business with a company that does so blatantly ignores their consumers.

My co-worker found a fax number for the corporate office and has sent 2 letters regarding our situation and they have not responded.
Your contractor should handle this. He picked the vendor and should be able to coordinate an appliance delivery before 3pm, as most buildings have similar restrictions and he's the contractor. He's supposed to coordinate these things.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
This doesn't qualify for any legitimate chargeback category. I suppose you could do that just to pressure the company to communicate.

You want the unit installed promptly so it is probably more practical to ask your building for permission to receive a one time delivery late as you can get them on the phone. I would just do that or tell my contractor you want this thing delivered and installed in a week. He should already know your building's rules.

Jul 27, 2016
This doesn't qualify for any legitimate chargeback category. I suppose you could do that just to pressure the company to communicate.
Failure to deliver the product as agreed, and being completely unreachable to schedule a viable delivery time. If it were possible to reach HH Gregg to cancel the order, that would be fine. The OP has tried. They refuse to even keep him on hold. If HH Gregg refuses to pick up the phone, there's no reason to waste any more time dealing with them.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Failure to deliver the product as agreed, and being completely unreachable to schedule a viable delivery time. If it were possible to reach HH Gregg to cancel the order, that would be fine. The OP has tried. They refuse to even keep him on hold. If HH Gregg refuses to pick up the phone, there's no reason to waste any more time dealing with them.
My point was a different one but I don't disagree with you. She shouldn't deal with this vendor at all as she stated her contractor placed the order. I don't consider a chargeback a "nuclear option" as someone upthread described, by any means. I just intended to suggest alternate solutions to resolving her issue- which really is getting this appliance installed as quickly as possible (contact contractor, contact building). I am practical.

Dispute would be my 3rd choice if I actually wanted this thing installed right away. There is no failure to deliver as agreed. They have scheduled 2 deliveries.

I would just let them deliver it anyway. The contractor doesn't have to install the thing the day it arrives and while buildings limit work hours, I've never heard of a building limiting package deliveries. This is just a big box.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Your contractor should handle this. He picked the vendor and should be able to coordinate an appliance delivery before 3pm, as most buildings have similar restrictions and he's the contractor. He's supposed to coordinate these things.
I think this is a little confused.
She stated she purchased the DW for a unit she manages. She is not on site to take delivery.
So now that she has run into delivery problems -- and let me say here that alll large appliances are delivered by freight companies who deliver to the curb NOT inside at sometimes very inconvient times.
Couple this with strict bldg delivery rules and she has a big problem, which is why she is now getting a contractor to order/deliver/install the DW.
She just wants to cancel her first order at HH G.

Nov 3, 2015
and let me say here that alll large appliances are delivered by freight companies who deliver to the curb NOT inside at sometimes very inconvient times.

Not necessarily so. And a home dishwasher isn't a very large or heavy appliance. I've brought three of 'em home over the years and wrestled them into the house and did the installation myself -- and I am not an outstanding physical specimen. One of the dishwashers rode home in the back of a Honda CRX, which has no trunk or backseat and very little space.

Nor does it match the HH Gregg delivery services page: http://www.hhgregg.com/shippinganddelivery
//snippety//
Services included in Basic Delivery:

3-Hour Window: The delivery driver will call the evening prior to the delivery, between 7pm and 9pm, to provide you with a 3-hour window for delivery. Now you can plan the rest of your day with our three-hour delivery window, and feel confident that you won't miss a meeting, errand, or appointment!
40-Minute Call-ahead Service: The delivery team will call you approximately forty minutes before they arrive at your home, so there is no need to wait at home all day!
Unpack, level and test appliances. Some exclusions may apply. See Delivery Details below for more information //snip//

//snippety//
Dishwashers
Delivery Teams Will:

Deliver portable (drop off only)
Deliver under counter (drop off only)
Move old unit within the home ... //snip//

But that's beside the point... OP is frustrated with the company because of inadequate communication and automated phone hells and wide delivery times. The last time I was in that situation, I had ordered a large freezer for the local food bank, and the delivery schedule we were given the night before (same scenario as our OP) would not work for us. I went back to the store (after a few rounds of phone tag) and talked to the supervisor in the appliance department, who talked to the delivery schedulers, who talked to the delivery and installation team. We had the freezer the next day, as promised, in an acceptable time frame.

So.... what are we looking at here? A problem with the phone numbers or phone system? An overwhelmed staff? A misdialed number? A systemic problem?

I think either doing a chargeback or ordering a new unit from a different supplier is going to complicate this dramatically. Because I don't deal well with telephones, I would either go to the store to talk to the manager or I'd try the social media venue and tell them of my frustrations at getting a simple dishwasher delivered and installed.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
It seems now we're just arguing amongst each other. The points have been made. Let it rest until/unless the OP responds. I'd rather not close this thread to give them a chance to respond, but I will if this continues.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Well sorry, but I wasn't talking about take it home w/you, I said delivery.
USPS, UPS and FEDX don't deliver appliances.

Jul 27, 2016
I would just let them deliver it anyway. The contractor doesn't have to install the thing the day it arrives and while buildings limit work hours, I've never heard of a building limiting package deliveries. This is just a big box.
Depends on the building, I guess. Mine would never let you deliver something like that (i.e. a package that can't be moved by one person) outside of authorized hours. The doorman would just tell them, nope, sorry, gotta come back.