Hertz wanted to charge me more than double for Irma delay

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 13, 2017
Several months ago I reserved a full size car through Hertz to pick up in Rapid City and to drop off two weeks later in SLC. Hurricane Irma devastated Florida a few days ago and United canceled my flight out of Jacksonville. I could not reschedule until two days later. When it was clear that the hurricane was going to impact my travel I contacted the Rapid City Hertz office and they said to not worry since they would hold the reservation for 48 hours. When I was able to reschedule my flight out for 48 hours after the original date I called the Rapid City Hertz office again and told them when to expect me. This time they said I had to call Hertz Gold and gave me a number (I was still without internet, my landline was not working and I had only a little battery left on my cell phone). Hertz Gold took my information and said they had revised my arrival date and I was all set to pick up my rental car two days later. And my cost would be more than double my original contract amount. I asked the representative why I was being penalized for a delay due entirely to a hurricane closing my departure airport. She said "that original rate is no longer available." I indicated my displeasure with that response and she called for a supervisor who eventually said I would have to prove the cancellation of my original flight when I picked up the car. She was quite unpleasant and indicated that she clearly did not believe me when I said Hurricane Irma had come through Florida and caused flight cancellations..I am not sure I will ever rent from Hertz again after this kind of treatment. With Irma's devastation of Florida all over the news there is no excuse for Hertz to respond this way.

Sep 13, 2017
I have proof now that power is back on at my house but at the time Hertz had my home address in north central Florida and presumably was aware that a massive hurricane had devastated the state. I was just shocked that they would question my truthfulness. Had my power not come back on last night I would have had to ask the airline for a statement that my flight had been cancelled. Frankly I think that is ridiculous. Perhaps if you have not endured a massive hurricane, been without power, water, toilet facilities etc. for several days and were then trying to let someone know that you would be there but late and doing it while your phone battery was showing 10% it would seem minor. I will not have to pay the doubled rate but I am angry enough that Hertz will get no more of my business.

Feb 9, 2016
I completely understand! In a time of need, Hertz was not willing to accept what you were saying in good faith. They made a tough and stressful situation even more difficult. Try to remember, it is not a judgment against your personal character, it's a business decision on their end , so that they don't get taken advantage of. IMO not he best decision they could have made - especially since cruise ships are rescuing passengers from the Caribbean - but a non personal business decision on Hertz part, none the less.

At the very least you now have your personal experience documented on the internet, and it will come up if someone uses a search engine.

Now that you have the cancelled flight information, give them a call and see what you can work out. Hopefully things go smoothly and you get your refund. If not, come back and let us know what transpired, and we can help coach you on how to contact additional resources to get you that refund.

Last edited: