1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Hertz still trying to charge me after manager claimed responsibility

Discussion in 'Car rentals' started by Doll P., Dec 5, 2017.

1. Doll P.

I recently rented a car from Hertz. I was given a Toyota Yaris. We asked for a different car, knowing they're not the best, but were told that this was the only car they had. I was driving to LA and noticed that once I hit the freeway, the back bumper cover was loose on the sides and flapping in the wind. I had done nothing except drive the car. I called Hertz and was told I could switch the car out in Bakersfield. When I got there, I told the desk clerk what happened and she said "Let me guess, they gave you a Yaris. That happens all the time...they won't even charge you." She had me fill out paperwork to do the switch, telling me there was no need to put my insurance information on the form, assuring me there would be no problems and Hertz wouldn't even bother when they saw it was a Yaris. Hertz called a month later saying I owed $978.00 for the damage. I spoke to the manager of the branch and he said that he would NEVER have given me a Yaris for a long distance trip because the bumper problem has a tendency to happen and the Yaris is completely unsuitable for long distances. He has submitted paperwork claiming full responsibility for the damages, but Hertz is still calling me for payment. I feel like I've been completely tossed aside as a customer, and the manager I've been speaking to/working with seems to agree with me. I feel like I've been led astray by many people and am feeling very lost about the whole situation. It doesn't seem right to receive assurance that everything will be all right if you follow their instructions and then to find out that is not the case. Before this I had been a regular customer at that Hertz...the manager even remembered me when I called about the situation. Thank you again for your consideration. I sincerely hope you'll be able to help me.

2. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

what kind of paper or email documentation have you gotten of these people saying it isnt your fault?

Hang up the phone and start emailing. First things first, send a separate emiail to every person you spoke with that said it wasnt your issue. Recap the phone conversation of mm/yy/dd at approximate time hh:mm:ss. To the best of your recollection state what you remember about the phone call and ask f this is what they remember.

As soon as you have this proof it should be easy to shut Hertz up

cp556, George M and Neil like this.
  3. Doll P.

I have emails from the manager of the branch I rented from saying that they are taking full responsibility for the vehicle. The phone calls I'm getting I'm sure are just from collection people just trying to get me to pay. The manager filed paperwork internally but I don't know to who. Who should I email?

4. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Use our company contacts on top of this page and start with Corporate Customer Service. Give them a week to reply - then move to the first executive if they don't drop the claim. Repeat weekly going up the executive chain.

jsn55 and cp556 like this.
  5. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

I would return the call of the collections people and
    1) state "I did not damage this vehicle"
    2)I have proof I am being released from this claim
    3) what is your email so I can forward you the proof
    4) Do not ever contact me again.

And then put all of that info the forwarded email as well, and cc email yourself so you have a record, and keep electronic and printed records of everything

Carrie Livingston and jsn55 like this.