Hertz charging $335.48 for single tire damage, billing fraud?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 27, 2016
Every credit card doesn't offer travel insurance or coverage. Need to call and see if there was coverages
Given that the vast majority do, it's baffling why someone would use one that doesn't. Then again, people actually use debit cards, so no accounting for taste.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Given that the vast majority do, it's baffling why someone would use one that doesn't. Then again, people actually use debit cards, so no accounting for taste.
You certainly know how many people we have to tell to go and ask their cc company if there was any coverage for cancellations. I am willing to be that the majority of people who come here have no idea whether they have coverage nor not.

Aug 15, 2017
@Just A Guy well see I'm not being chased after by the credit card company. Just the collection agency Hertz sent after me. Which could end up ruining my credit history.

@Neil I can't express how thoughtful all you moderators are for offering pointers and giving advice on this advocacy forum. Apologies for making you feel like chopped liver. I've actually taken a closer look on the pick-up and return page document per your suggestion and I think there's a X showing the tire was already damaged when they rented it to me. I'll upload it in a bit and you guys can tell me if I'm seeing things.

Feb 9, 2016
your credit wont be ruined because you are going to include

Letter with verbiage for car renters to send to collections, in the case they get turned over to collections

The letter to collections simple:

"I deny I caused your client any damage. Your client has not proven the damage, either in causation or amount, to a preponderance of the evidence despite request. you have made an empty demand without proof and I insist you follow the rules to obtain and provide proof of loss and every element of damage claimed.

I have previously asked your client for certain information they have not provided to date to establish the enforceability of their claim. Thus. I deny your claim and deny that I owe your client anything.

I invoke all rights under the Fair Credit Billing and Collection Act and request no further contact from your business. I invite you to sue me to complete this transaction quickly. Be advised that I significant defenses at law and equity and that the contract I signed, which you are trying to collect, contains a mutual attorneys fee clause by operation of law.

If you decide to report this to a credit reporting bureau you are required to report my disputation of the entire claim. Failure to do so accurately will result in legal action for defamation. Given your client's lack of any proof of damage or amount, other than their say so, I invite litigation to resolve this matter timely.

VTY, renter. "

Aug 15, 2017
@sas80 I've used every single word you posted and fired off an e-mail to the collections agency. Just wish I wasn't spending so much energy and stress into this.

I've uploaded the pick-up documentation and I'm almost positive there's damage already on the front left and front right tires, front and back bumper in the document. But the marks are pretty faint and I'm hoping you guys can see it too.

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Your report certainly does show an X on that tire and their report also is NOT checked on the bottom where it says "no damage".

So now rewrite your letter and deny that you caused ANY damage and show them the receipt showing the X'd damage and that the report does NOT have the box checked off where it says "no damage" It also looks like there are initials that say TCD - could that mean something about a tire?

Use sas letter but rewrite it:

"I deny I caused your client any damage and am providing you a copy of the proof. I am including a copy of the pick up report which clearly has an X indicated on that tire as damage and also has TCD (if thats what that indeed says) that was written by your employee. The damage was on the car when I picked it up and shown by your own employees.

I expect that you will drop this claim immediately and go back to your records and find the renter prior to me that did the actual damage to the tire. I will not pay for this tire.

I invoke all rights under the Fair Credit Billing and Collection Act and request no further contact from your business. I invite you to sue me to complete this transaction quickly. Be advised that I significant defenses at law and equity and that the contract I signed, which you are trying to collect, contains a mutual attorneys fee clause by operation of law.

If you decide to report this to a credit reporting bureau you are required to report my disputation of the entire claim. Failure to do so accurately will result in legal action for defamation. Given your client's own paperwork showing that the damage as there when I picked up the car if you do not drop this claim, I invite litigation to resolve this matter timely.

Also - Joe's old letters need to be edited - there are some mistakes in it such as this, which makes absolutely no sense - Be advised that I significant defenses at law and equity and that the contract I signed, which you are trying to collect,

WHAT????

Feb 9, 2016
@sas80 I've used every single word you posted and fired off an e-mail to the collections agency. Just wish I wasn't spending so much energy and stress into this.

I've uploaded the pick-up documentation and I'm almost positive there's damage already on the front left and front right tires, front and back bumper in the document. But the marks are pretty faint and I'm hoping you guys can see it too.
I see the marks that you are talking about and they DO indicate damage. The car rental company may try to tell you its different damage but, again, they have to prove it isnt the damage they are trying to extort you for. If they didnt detail the marks, what they represent, too bad for them.

Aug 15, 2017
Thank you Neil and sas80 I'm glad to know the damage marks are visible to other people as well. And this gives me more hope I'll beat this overbilling charge by Hertz.

I wouldn't have taken a closer look at the pickup and return document without your suggestion Neil, much obliged there. I automatically assumed Hertz would show the vehicle was in perfect condition when they rented to me.

And when you've stepped off a 6 hour flight and there's 12 people in line at the Hertz station. You're just thankful when they give you a car. Aside from that, the front desk person never checks the car over with you when you pick it up. They just hand you keys and direct you to the car. So it's scary that they could have tried to get me for the bumper and other wheel damage as well.

Still waiting on a response from the e-mails I've sent out.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have a thread in the car rental forum about how to protect yourself when renting a car. One of the things we tell you is to take pictures at pick up and drop off. This is why- few places inspect the cars at pick and up drop off anymore.

I have also insisted that my car paperwork is marked by the rental places if there is even a scratch on it.

Aug 15, 2017
Agree Neil I thought taking pictures of the car was sufficient, but never thought about getting down on my hands and knees to examine all 4 tires.

Hertz is such a huge international company and with how much money they make (revenues of $9.4 billion USD in 2016 from wikipedia). I wouldn't have thought they'd stoop so low as to intentionally inflate excessive damage charges and generate negative goodwill. I'll be sticking to uber from now on.

Feb 9, 2016
Agree Neil I thought taking pictures of the car was sufficient, but never thought about getting down on my hands and knees to examine all 4 tires.

Hertz is such a huge international company and with how much money they make (revenues of $9.4 billion USD in 2016 from wikipedia). I wouldn't have thought they'd stoop so low as to intentionally inflate excessive damage charges and generate negative goodwill. I'll be sticking to uber from now on.
These days you have to get down on your hands and knees and take pictures of the undercarriage of the car as well as take pictures of the top of the vehicle and all around it, if you want to be protected.

Don't forget to ask the car rental agent helping you to smile and give you a thumbs up when you include them next to the car - on rental AND return

Aug 15, 2017
Good lord even the undercarriage sas80? I'm not sure I even fit enough to slide under there.

It's quite strange Neil, I was reading this morning another person's ordeal and she was told the car rental companies are all fully insured and they weren't charging her for tire damage, because they can replace the tire for less than a $100 and it was considered the cost of doing business.

Which aligns with what I remember from my previous car rentals. If, I can drive the car to the drop off location the employee never looked at the tires twice.

No reply from executive customer service, however British Vehicle Rental & Leasing Association told me they're looking into the matter. Should I e-mail Gregory next or just wait until BVRL&A finishes in 30 days?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Good lord even the undercarriage sas80? I'm not sure I even fit enough to slide under there.

It's quite strange Neil, I was reading this morning another person's ordeal and she was told the car rental companies are all fully insured and they weren't charging her for tire damage, because they can replace the tire for less than a $100 and it was considered the cost of doing business.

Which aligns with what I remember from my previous car rentals. If, I can drive the car to the drop off location the employee never looked at the tires twice.

No reply from executive customer service, however British Vehicle Rental & Leasing Association told me they're looking into the matter. Should I e-mail Gregory next or just wait until BVRL&A finishes in 30 days?
Car rental companies have extra coverage you can buy just for flats. Every case is different but they marked that tire so you should NOT be on the horn for it.

Aug 15, 2017
So it's been 30 days and been on pins and needles waiting for a response. I finally received an e-mail from the British Vehicle Rental Leasing Association today and wanted to update everyone. Hertz has agreed not to pursue further payment of the damaged tire charge. I'd like to express how thankful I am to all the advocates in this forum especially Christina, Sas80, and Neil for guiding me through this harrowing process. You guys are lifesavers!

Sep 19, 2015
Very happy for you Discrave; I only learned about the British Vehicle Rental Leasing Assoc. (a long but descriptive name) from another person on this forum, Kahhss.