Hertz charging $335.48 for single tire damage, billing fraud?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 15, 2017
I rented a car for 7 days in Scotland (9/18/2016) and returned the car on 9/24/2016. Upon return the attendant pointed out a small tear in the front left wheel and said I’d be billed for the damage. I have no issue paying for the repair to the tire. However, I was flabbergasted to receive a bill of $335.48 from Hertz. According to the bill, this is Hertz’s estimated damage amount. I looked up Hertz’s Terms and Conditions (below) and yet Hertz has refused to provide an actual cost of repair bill from a car repair shop. I’ve even looked up the cost of a brand new tire and it’s nowhere near $335.48. This seems like some sort of billing fraud on overcharging for repairs Hertz doesn’t even carry out. I’ve e-mailed Hertz back and forth and gotten nowhere, they keep requesting the full amount of $335.48. They’ve since sent me to a collection agency letter (May 1, 2017) and I’m extremely worried it’ll ruin my credit. What else can I do to get Hertz to stop sending me to collections?

"Where it appears to Hertz that the cost of repairing the damage (plus the cost of repairing damage to any other vehicle or property with which the rental vehicle collided) may approach or exceed the amount of the Accident Damages Excess (ADE), Hertz will charge your credit, charge or debit card with the full amount of the ADE. If it later transpires that the actual cost of repairs are less than the ADE, Hertz will promptly credit the difference to your card."

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Discrave Silly question but did you get your tire estimate from a local place or from a store in Scotland? At first glance, £225 doesn't seem all that bad including taxes, fees and labor. Without knowing the exact vehicle you had and where you rented from its hard to know if it truly is a bad price.

Aug 15, 2017
Hi John I actually checked several places for tire repair and was told it should be no more than 10 to 15 pounds for a tear repair. But, I do understand your point and even looked up the model of the car and the cost of a new tire was less than a 100 pounds. Next, I searched if, others had come across the same experience of being overcharged and found these two articles. So I do believe the excessive bill is intentional.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/cons...-of-damaging-rental-cars-20160405-gnymfe.html
http://www.nytimes.com/1988/01/26/nyregion/hertz-concedes-it-overcharged-for-car-repairs.html

Aug 15, 2017
@John I'm not trying to get out of paying Hertz. I was fully prepared to accept responsibility and pay for the repair cost or even the cost of a brand new tire. But I thought Hertz would hold up to their Terms and Conditions and provide me an actual receipt for the actual cost of a new tire, not grossly inflate it to make a profit.

Hertz, which is owned by the Park Ridge Corporation, was able to negotiate discounts on the labor charges from independent repair shops because it owned a large fleet of cars. It also bought spare parts at wholesale prices.

Feb 9, 2016
wait....was the tire flat? if the tire wasn't flat then how is there an issue? prove to me that the tear was not there when I rented!

As far as the cost of the tire goes, I would mention that there is no way you are going to absorb the cost of replacing a well worn tire with a brand new one.

Tires have a set/known lifespan IF they are maintained properly.

Ask for the original cost of the tire in question. Ask for the date it was placed onto the vehicle. Ask for the service records that show me that it was rotated properly, and air pressure was maintained properly, such that their maintenance negligence didn't possibly cause the issue.

if it was maintained properly (it wasn't or they wont prove it to you), then I would take the original cost of the tire and divide by the number of years to get the yearly cost of the tire. then I would divide by the number of days in a year. then I would add up how many years days were 'used' on the tire and offer them the nominal balance.

if it was not maintained properly, I would tell them that their negligence was likely to have caused the issue and that there is no way to calculate depreciation and, therefore, there is no way a damage assessment can be made.

If they refuse to show you maintenance documentation then I reply and tell tem there is no way to assess the value of the tire without proper documentation. therefore they cannot assess a value to their claim. offer to settle for $25. if you settle for $25, or some other ninal fee, make sure you have written proof that they release you of liability from claim #12345 with the $xy payment they are accepting.

Aug 15, 2017
Hi sas80, the tire definitely was not flat (have a picture), in fact I had no idea anything was wrong with it, since there was no air bubbles, bulging, or air deflation whatsoever. It looked like a small cosmetic tear. And like you I questioned if, I was even responsible for the damage in the tire since I did not get down on my hands and knees to inspect the tires, before leaving with the car. I rented cars in other countries and never had an attendant get down on hands and knees to inspect the tires that closely before.

And yup, I e-mailed Hertz and repeatedly and requested the original cost of the tire. And all Hertz would give me is their own $335.48 bill. When, I questioned how they came up with the $335.48, they told me it was what Hertz wanted to charge so there was no math behind it.

It’s been almost a year and I’ve sent repeated e-mails offering 25 pounds to repair the tire. Heck, if Hertz showed the cost of the original tire. I’d pay that amount too. I’m dismayed that a huge corporation like Hertz can ruin people’s credit ratings with such questionable billing practices.

Feb 9, 2016
How in the world are they going to make you pay for a tire that they continued to use?

google for RT_FULL_EU_EN.pdf

The document is entitled "Your rental terms Everything you need to know about your hertz rental"
in it they state

3 If we are unable to resolve your issue to your satisfaction, and you were renting in another European country, you can contact the European Car Rental Conciliation Service (ECRCS), which is an independent conciliation service, or seek online dispute resolution (ODR).

I would contact this council immediately

See page 23 for detailed information.

Aug 15, 2017
Hi sas80 I was quite excited at seeing your suggestion of the European Car Rental Conciliation Service. I took a look at their questions and answers page though and it looks like I have to be an EU resident. Unless, has anyone here managed to successfully use them?
The conciliation service can only help with disputes involving a ‘cross-border’ rental transaction occurring within the European Union - you must be a resident of the EU and the rental must have taken place in a different EU country. If your complaint concerns a non-cross-border rental you should raise the matter in your own country through any local dispute resolution process that may exist.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Were you driving the car with that slit and had it lost any air? How many miles did you have the car for?

It seems to me you shouldn't have to pay for a new tire if the tire was nearing the end of life anyway.

I recommend using our company contacts for Hertz and tell them you want to see the fleet utilization log to see how old the tire was and how many miles it had on it and you want an actual bill showing the actual cost of the tire that you won't approve a charge that isn't itemized.

If they file anything in your credit report you are allowed to answer their complaint and have it added to your record.

Aug 15, 2017
Hi Neil, I’m not sure when the tear in the tire occurred (it could even have been there when I picked it up) but the tire didn’t lose any air and I was driving it all 7 days. It seemed to be a cosmetic tear. As for mileage, my document notes the mileage at 7,747 at pickup and nothing filled in for return. However, I was based in Edinburgh all 7 days going to tourist attractions. I e-mailed executive customer service as you suggested and asked for the original cost of the tire (even though they should depreciate it for all the use the tire already went through). Currently awaiting a response.

@sas80 I spent most of last night researching the options given in Hertz’s EU manual and none of them are available to Americans. It’s disheartening to realize Americans can be taken advantage of in Europe and no recourse is available. I thank you whole heartedly for the suggestions and the help you’ve given me.

Online dispute resolution – must be a resident of a country that's part of the EU.

European Consumer Centres Network - must be a resident in the EU, Iceland or Norway

European Car Rental Conciliation Service - must be a resident of the EU and the rental must have taken place in a different EU country.

Sep 19, 2015
Discrave the EU dispute resolutions are for EU residents only because EU residents pay the taxes that fund them. So they are not available to Americans, Chinese, Russians, etc all who rent cars in Europe.

On another post in this for Kahhss directed a renter to the British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association and the OP was helped.

I remember this because I was impressed with Kahhss's research I had never heard of them. Perhaps you can investigate that option?

Attachments

Feb 9, 2016
@Discrave at MOST you are only on the hook for the depreciated value of that tire. if you were me, I start a new letter writing campaign and insist that the tear is cosmetic in nature,does not affect the lifespan of the tire or usage of the vehicle and ask them to drop the claim.

If you don't want to do that then state that you are happy to entertain payment for the tire but that you need to see the receipt of the tire purchase so you can determine the value of the tire at initial purchase, and the number of miles on the tire, and rotation history and air pressure when the vehicle was serviced. Then go research life of the tire and get back to them with a fair offer that you detail.

you could even re start your letter writing campaign, starting from the bottom up, citing the ideas of deprecated value and that you have requested information to settle the claim and have been denied. And that you have offered adequate settlement and have been denied. Then state that, without further documentation you can do nothing more and that the issue has gone on for so long that you are requesting they close this case.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2016
If you are already dealing with the collections part of this situation, take a look at the highlighted sections below and consider drawing from it in your reply. If these European countries have the right to assign collections items to our credit then they damn skippy have to abide by our collections laws!

Letter with verbiage for car renters to send to collections, in the case they get turned over to collections

The letter to collections simple:

"I deny I caused your client any damage. Your client has not proven the damage, either in causation or amount, to a preponderance of the evidence despite request. you have made an empty demand without proof and I insist you follow the rules to obtain and provide proof of loss and every element of damage claimed.

I have previously asked your client for certain information they have not provided to date to establish the enforceability of their claim. Thus. I deny your claim and deny that I owe your client anything.

I invoke all rights under the Fair Credit Billing and Collection Act and request no further contact from your business. I invite you to sue me to complete this transaction quickly. Be advised that I significant defenses at law and equity and that the contract I signed, which you are trying to collect, contains a mutual attorneys fee clause by operation of law.

If you decide to report this to a credit reporting bureau you are required to report my disputation of the entire claim. Failure to do so accurately will result in legal action for defamation. Given your client's lack of any proof of damage or amount, other than their say so, I invite litigation to resolve this matter timely.

VTY, renter. "

Aug 15, 2017
@ChristinaH Wow I had no idea that organization existed. I'll be filling out a form tonight for the British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association.

@sas80 You're a priceless asset to this forum. It didn't even cross my mind to ask about the depreciation, original cost of the tire or maintenance documentation. I will be incorporating everything you've pointed out in my letter writing campaign and hope they close the case.

Feb 9, 2016
@ChristinaH Wow I had no idea that organization existed. I'll be filling out a form tonight for the British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association.

@sas80 You're a priceless asset to this forum. It didn't even cross my mind to ask about the depreciation, original cost of the tire or maintenance documentation. I will be incorporating everything you've pointed out in my letter writing campaign and hope they close the case.
lol, I swear I mentioned that today or yesterday? maybe it was a different rental car tire thread.

At the end of every correspondence, always, always, always remind them that you are doing your best to work with them, in good faith, on getting the issue resolved, and always ask for them to close the case.

Sometimes you end up getting a sympathetic agent who recognizes a consumer who is actually trying, and then realizes the situation is trivial enough such that the agent can be kind and dismiss the claim.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

"It seems to me you shouldn't have to pay for a new tire if the tire was nearing the end of life anyway.

I recommend using our company contacts for Hertz and tell them you want to see the fleet utilization log to see how old the tire was and how many miles it had on it and you want an actual bill showing the actual cost of the tire that you won't approve a charge that isn't itemized."

I kind of advised you in my response that you shouldn't have to pay in full for a new tire and ti ask for the fleet utilization log. What am I , chopped liver, lol?

Feb 9, 2016
"It seems to me you shouldn't have to pay for a new tire if the tire was nearing the end of life anyway.

I recommend using our company contacts for Hertz and tell them you want to see the fleet utilization log to see how old the tire was and how many miles it had on it and you want an actual bill showing the actual cost of the tire that you won't approve a charge that isn't itemized."

I kind of advised you in my response that you shouldn't have to pay in full for a new tire and ti ask for the fleet utilization log. What am I , chopped liver, lol?
If you pay ANY money for this tire you are entitled to possess the tire. You now own that tire.
lol, ask them to send you pictures of the tear. betcha they cant or betcha it's still there and the tire is in service on a vehicle.

If it's sill ON a vehicle I would reply and say the tire is being used as a tire should be, therefore there is no damage. I am asking you to close this claim.

Sep 19, 2015
If you pay ANY money for this tire you are entitled to possess the tire. You now own that tire.
lol, ask them to send you pictures of the tear. betcha they cant or betcha it's still there and the tire is in service on a vehicle.

If it's sill ON a vehicle I would reply and say the tire is being used as a tire should be, therefore there is no damage. I am asking you to close this claim.
Careful they may call the bluff and require prepaid shipping. From Scotland that would be a lot,

As the car mileage was less than 8000, the tire should not be near the end of its life. However that does not mean Discrave caused the damage or is being charged an appropriate amount. A tear in a tire can be cosmetic or can warrant a total replacement if there is damage to the side wall plies even if there is no deflation.

If the car rental company does not tell answer that info, how is the OP supposed to know,

Kahhss deserves all credit for finding the British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association. It looks like the major car rentals are members. I also had no idea that it existed.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You can also ask them for copies of the 5 rentals before your and the two or three after to see if the damage is shown on rentals before yours and if they re-rented the car after you without fixing it.

If there was evidence if a tear before yours, or they rented the car out immediately after they shouldn't be coming after you.