1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Hertz charged me extra money after returning back the car

Discussion in 'Hertz/Dol/Thr' started by Atakan, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Atakan

Hi,

On July 5th 2017: I made a reservation(Hertz res.number: Xxxxxxxx using Hertz web page for the period of August 10 - September 14th. The total price was 905.32 Euros (Insurances (CDW,SCDW,TP) and also location service charge & tax were included in the price)

(Reservation details are available in below picture.)

[​IMG]
    https://ibb.co/bvjT6G

On August 10th 2017: I picked up the car from their branch at Sabiha Gokcen Airport at Istanbul
    On September 14th 2017: I returned back the car to the same branch

After I had returned back the car, on 16th September, I was charged for 912.41Euros. When I contacted with the customer service in Turkey, they mentioned that they made a re-calculation and after their re-calculation, the price became 912.41Euros.
    The following recalculation method was sent to me:
    597,77 ( Price for 28days) + 8 x 26,38(daily price for renting up to 8 days) =808,81 – 121,32 ( %15 discount) =687,49 € x LSC(%08) =742,49 €
    36 x 4(daily SCDW price) x tax ( %18) =169,92 €
    Total price = 742,49 + 169,92 = 912,41

The price was guaranteed at contract and in case of any difference in the price, I should have been informed and given the opportunity to accept the new price or cancel the reservation. The same is also written at the contract as:

"Rate is guaranteed. Taxes, fees and extras, if not included in the Rate, are subject to change.
    Although we try to ensure that all prices quoted on our websites are accurate, errors may sometimes occur. We will inform you as soon as possible if we discover an error in the price of your reservation and give you the opportunity to confirm your booking at the correct price or cancel. Our usual cancellation charges will not apply if you choose to cancel. If you cancel and you have already paid for your rental, you will receive a full refund. If we are unable to contact you we will treat your reservation as cancelled."

But they have never informed me.

Making a new calculation and increasing the price(even if its 0.01 Euro or 100Euros) after the car is returned back is unacceptable. I tried to explain this to Hertz using many different channels(customer support and twitter) but reached nowhere.

I want Hertz to return back the extra money they charged.

Could you please help making this happen?

Note: reservation number removed by moderator.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

They can't do this. You have a written confirmation of your price in the documents you booked with.

We have company contacts for Hertz.
    http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/hertz/

Write to their Customer Service address tell them you have a contract with a price and they cannot change the price after. You are giving them 7 days to reverse the new charge or you will be contacting your credit card company to file a dispute.

If they don't remove it contact your credit card company and file a credit card dispute.

sas80 likes this.
  3. Razilo

If I am reading this correctly - Expected charge - 905.32 Euros Actual charge 912.41 Euros - A difference of 7.09 Euros (< 10 dollars). You can try to the money back, but is it worth the time to you. Also - if you do a dispute on your credit card, make sure to let them know it is only the 7.09 Euros you are looking for (not the whole 900+ Euros).

In addition - I looked at your original quote- I do not see numbers that add up to 905.32, so something seems to be missing there.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Christina H likes this.
  4. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I wonder if the exchange rate might have changed. I didn't look to see you are talking about merely 7 Euros.

Razilo is absolutely right- your dispute should ONLY be for the 7 Euros.

5. Christina H

Was there any changes in the taxes or fees (location etc) from the time the rental was made to the time it was completed?

And Razilo is correct something is missing from the breakdown on the reservation as it does not add up to 905.32. This is a difference of Euro 7.09.

6. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

when I rent a car in the states the line that displays the total actually says "all taxes and additional fees included"

this is the total I use when I actually get to the desk. if they quote me a different price, I pony up my old school print-out and say "no, this is the price, what happened? and it's usually that they added towing or insurance or satellite or navigation or a toll pass or..... blah and then I ask them to remove the additional cost and we end up at the same price.

7. Atakan

Yes Razilo the amount is not big but the way they behave about my complaint and how they just ignore their customer makes me spending time for that.

Also with regards to the breakdown of the price, honestly speaking I don't know how they calculate the total price but whenever I rent a car from them, I never see the all the items in breakdown. But in any case if they give me an offer at price XXX it should stay at price XXX.

8. Atakan

The total price they provide is in Euros. They don't calculate the total price using the price in TRY. Its the opposite.
    They charge me in TRY so they use Eur/Try rate to turn the total price from EUR to TRY.

9. Atakan

These lines are written at the contract:
    ""Rate is guaranteed. Taxes, fees and extras, if not included in the Rate, are subject to change.
    Although we try to ensure that all prices quoted on our websites are accurate, errors may sometimes occur. We will inform you as soon as possible if we discover an error in the price of your reservation and give you the opportunity to confirm your booking at the correct price or cancel."

But they changed the rate and they never informed me and I realized it when I checked the credit card usage details.

And as you said they always try to sell me insurances which I have already purchased and they to increase the price using this method. I do the same thing as you do. Show them the print-out and tell them that I have already purchased whatever I need and nothing more is required.
    But unfortunately as they get your credit card details, they always have a chance to charge anything later. And this is what happened to me this year...

10. Atakan

Thanks Neil, I will get in touch with the contacts at the page you provided.
    And thanks to everyone for spending time on this matter.
    I will let you know the outcome...

11. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

There might be a conversion fee that is being charged for converting Euros to US. I wonder if that's the difference.

But you are correct - in principle you should be charged what you were quoted. If you have the time to fight based in principle- use our company contacts.