Help With Prepaid Sheraton Reservation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 18, 2016
Hello forum readers!

I will be staying at the Sheraton Jumeirah Beach in Dubai from 5/10-5/16. I made my reservation on January 7, 2018 directly from the Sheraton website and took advantage of a prepaid rate for SPG members. I received an email confirmation for the reservation. In the confirmation, it explained that the total fees would be charged to my credit card on January 8, 2018 and that the rate was not changeable, refundable, etc. I am totally okay with the prepaid rate because I got a great deal and I am willing to take the risk if I shouldn't end up being able to travel.

To this date, I still have not been charged for the room! I did not realize this until recently, (admittedly I should totally have checked this before). Two days ago, I logged into the SPG website and it says I have a confirmed room and in the fine print instead of January 8, 2018 like on my original confirmation, it says a deposit of the full charges will be charged to my card on April 30, 2018. Okay, I thought that was weird, maybe they wait until closer to check-in. Well I logged in today, and once again my room is confirmed but now the fine print says a deposit will be charged to my card on May 1, 2018. Um, when will they charge my card, and why is it so hard to get Sheraton to take money from me?

I called SPG. They said yes, I am confirmed. I have a reservation. The agent said "that's kind of unusual since usually the pre-paid rate is charged right at the time of booking". He said " I see where it says here May 1 it will be charged..." I explained to him that the date was January 8, April 30, now May 1. I asked him what I should do. He said sometimes a property will charge at check-in even if you select a pre-paid rate (??? sounds like he was just trying to say something???) He told me to call back tomorrow if my card was not charged so they can contact the property directly.

For the record, the credit card I made the reservation with is still valid and hasn't been cancelled. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is going on? How worried should I be? How I should handle this? Thanks so much!!!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
While I wouldn't be worried, I'd make a refundable back-up res just in case. Who knows how they do things in Dubai? It's really odd that the "charge date" keeps changing, tho. Please let us know the outcome, I'm dying of curiosity.

Feb 18, 2016
So this is just strange. So I check the reservation again, now it says reservation is confirmed, etc. At the bottom in fine print, the deposit of $XXXX is due on Wednesday, May 2 and will be charged to the credit card provided. So the supposed charge date is constantly pushed back one day at a time. Once again I call SPG. Sigh. At first the agent said, "well you selected the mail in your deposit by postal mail option- when you made the reservation". (I'm trying not to laugh at the guy) I didn't even know that was an option in this day and age, I certainly wouldn't have selected it, and the reservation confirmation shows the last 4 digits of the card used to confirm the reservation! After a lot of puttering about, he sent a message to the billing department with the assurance that I will hear a response in the next 24 hours. I'm not so confident. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to contacting the hotel directly, or should I stick with SPG?

Feb 18, 2016
I ended up communicating with the hotel via Facebook (they were very responsive from that channel when I had a question regarding making the reservation). I got an email from the front office manager of the hotel. She did not explain why things happened as they did, but she charged my credit card today, and sent me an invoice and charge receipt. <Sigh of relief> As tempting as it was to "let it ride" in the hopes that maybe it was just *assumed* it was charged and the credit card would just never be charged, I was afraid that I would arrive and the "prepaid" rate would no longer be honored, since in fact, it was not pre-paid. How silly that on these forums and elsewhere I read about people who make the nonrefundable reservations that want to get out of them, this is the first incident I know of where I had the reservation but was chasing them down to get the prepaid part done. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go to Costco to pick up a bucket of sunblock since the high on the day I arrive is currently forecast to be 106!!!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I ended up communicating with the hotel via Facebook (they were very responsive from that channel when I had a question regarding making the reservation). I got an email from the front office manager of the hotel. She did not explain why things happened as they did, but she charged my credit card today, and sent me an invoice and charge receipt. <Sigh of relief> As tempting as it was to "let it ride" in the hopes that maybe it was just *assumed* it was charged and the credit card would just never be charged, I was afraid that I would arrive and the "prepaid" rate would no longer be honored, since in fact, it was not pre-paid. How silly that on these forums and elsewhere I read about people who make the nonrefundable reservations that want to get out of them, this is the first incident I know of where I had the reservation but was chasing them down to get the prepaid part done. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go to Costco to pick up a bucket of sunblock since the high on the day I arrive is currently forecast to be 106!!!
Have a wonderful trip ... you really won't be outdoors to use that sunblock, will you? A nice air conditioned lounge with ice-cold champagne would be my choice of entertainment in that kind of heat.