1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Travelocity and Tame airlines

Discussion in 'Airlines' started by Julia Montalto, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Julia Montalto

Hello there.. someone please help me! So here is the situation ..
    I booked a flight to the Galápagos Islands for my vaca in Ecuador.
    My flight was leaving from Quito and arriving in San cristobal on Nov 3 and then departing on Nov 7th.
    I received an email two weeks ago that said there had been changes to my itinerary. Instead of departing from Quito on NOV 3 we would now be departing on NOV 5th. Two whole days later ... not cool.
    So needless to say I have contacted travelocity (now going on my 10th hour of phone conversation) and they have told me in order to change my flight they must contact the airline via email and get an authorization code.(it took me 8hrs to get to that..)
    I received an email today saying that the airline could not process my request to switch my flight and that I can only be offered a refund.
    I decided to call TAME airline myself to see what was going on. The manager at the airline said that travelocity had sold me a ticket prices for Ecuador citizens. They said they cannot process my request because I have the wrong ticket. If I want to change my flight (since the one I had originally bought was own cancelled and rescheduled) I would have to go through travelocity to get a refund and then purchase a new ticket for double the amount. (Supposedly if you are a non Ecuadorian your ticket is around $415 vs $260 which is what I payed)
    TAME also claimed that travelocity had advertised the ticket incorrectly and they are responsible for the inconvenience and difference in price. I am now going on my 6th phone call and currently have been on hold for 1hr to try to talk with a "supervisor".
    Someone please help me or guide me in the right direction ..

2. technomage1

Staff Member Forum Director

And people wonder why we don’t suggest booking with OTAs. It’s fine if there is no problem, but when there is one, wow.

My first suggestion is to get off the phone and use our contact list at the top of the page if you want to pursue this further.

My second suggestion is to take the refund, then rebook with the airline directly or via a travel agent. Yes, you’re paying more, but how much was the cruise and how much would you be out to miss it? Also how aggravating is this thing to you? Is all this worth $155 to you? I’m not saying Travelocity is right, I’m suggesting the risk and aggravation may not be worth it.

You can always do both, too, booking and then seeking redress later.

My third suggestion is to arrive at least one day early for the cruise.

3. technomage1

Oh, and I almost forgot. Assuming you’re a US citizen, make sure you have 6 months validity on your passport.

TropicalRichmond, jsn55, Neil and 2 others like this.
  4. Christina H

Wow what a mistake from the OTA. In a way it is good that this was discovered now rather than at check-in-- because the airline would likely have denied you when they saw your id and the walkup fare would be very high. Take the refund and book directly with the airline.

TropicalRichmond, jsn55 and Neil like this.
  5. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Please repeat after me: I will never use an online booking site again. I will always book directly with the airline or the hotel. If I have a complex itinerary, I will use a real travel agent. I will not be swayed by the idea of saving $32.50. I will always book direct. Seriously, Julia, we see some really awful stunts pulled by these websites, but I don't recall one ever selling a traveller an illegal tix. That's disgusting.

Take the refund and have a great trip! As mentioned, you are very lucky to find out about this snafu now instead of at the airport.

6. technomage1

To be fair I would never say I never use an OTA. I have, but only for non complex, non flying, type trips. In the few cases I have used one it was the anomoly where I did save decent money by doing so vs doing a direct booking. I would say only use OTAs with extreme caution.

jsn55 likes this.
  7. Christina H

The OP is correct TAME is the Equadorian national carrier. TAM -- Brazil.