Help needed: Big price increase after having cruise booked and deposit paid !

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 1, 2017
Switzerland
@Sergey - here's hoping the resolution on Tuesday is the one we all hope for! Please keep us posted on what transpires.
Greetings everyone, a short update: today, July 3d 2017, the system still shows the increased price of USD 4'507.08 for our cruise. No changes yet. Tomorrow is the Independence Day. Let's see if they work tomorrow and are in position to amend pricing as per my request. Will keep you posted and let me use this opportunity to wish you all a happy Independence Day and true independence from all kinds of human and system errors and mistakes in your daily lives, cheers.

Kind regards, Sergey

Attachments

Jul 1, 2017
Switzerland
Can you do me one favor- check your reservation number from the original booking against the reservation number of the booking with the higher price.

Is the reservation number the same or different?
Ironically, it is not possible to log into my account at CruiseDirect.com using my cruise reservation number (since quite some time) - they claim they have some problems with the system and prompt that I login directly to NCL website. NCL's reservation number did not change and still does state the increased price of USD . I attach herewith the two different invoices from NCL in one slide. Also, in my earlier invoice I had USD 300.00 on-board credit, which basically makes my initial cruise price a total of USD 2'472.46 vs the new increased USD 4'535.08 (which actually is an 83.4% price increase).

P.S. I was contacted today (by phone, +1 888 407-2784) by the CruiseDirect Representative Mr. Enrique Bravo who told me that my case is still within NCL (the person responsible for my case was not in the office today, perhaps due to the Independence Day celebrations) and is being taken care of. He fully agreed that the truth is on my side, however the resolution is still pending by the NCL and I will be contacted again by the phone tomorrow morning. He also mentioned something about "displacement" which was the route cause of the problem and repeated several times that I should not worry (to which I said that I would stop worrying as soon as I see smth from NCL in written or an updated invoice) and that they are sorry for what had happened.

I do hope to have a better update tomorrow and will keep you all posted.

P.P.S. I also attach the screenshot from NCL dated Feb 14, 2017, which had the initial invoice stating the price of USD 2'772.46 (plus USD 300.00 on-board credits) and an in-mail statement that read, I quote: "please rest assured that your price did not change and your reservation is fully active".

Attachments

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
@Sergey - Since you have a $300 onboard credit in writing, I'd be insisting that be honored as well as the original pricing.

The higher price confirmation shows mostly different promotion codes than the lower priced confirmation. So when it was re-priced for whatever reason, they did not apply the same discounts.

Also note that the initial confirmation says OPEN BAR and the later confirmation does not. Being picky, I'd question that as well.

I also find it interesting that BOTH NCL confirmations show that your $200 was paid on the booking date, Dec 15, 2016. So that means NCL HAD your money when it confirmed the lower price. They definitely should be honoring that price!!

Keep us posted, and thanks.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The cruise is on the Norwegian Sky. That ship offers an open bar on every sailing.

The entire issue is that someone rebooked this cruise using a different promotion that was probably non existent when the cruise was rebooked.

The question is WHY was it rebooked? And that's one they need to answer for Sergey. Once his deposit was made this shouldn't have happened.

Sergey in the future, book directly or use a travel agency that has the supplier charge your card, not the agency.

When you read about agencies that go out of business and clients find they have no trips, the agency has usually charged the credit card but didnt apply the deposit to the booking, keeping the money.

ASK who charges your card, the supplier (NCL) or the agency. If they say the agency, think twice. (Although legit agencies do this so they only need to send the supplier the net amount due and don't have to wait for the supplier to send them their commission.

Jul 1, 2017
Switzerland
A short update as of today:
Just a while ago got a call from the same CruiseDirect representative, Mr. Enrique Bravo who happily informed me that he had positive news and my case seemed to have been settled. While talking to him I quickly went online and checked the payment status, and it did show the restated amount of USD 2'800.46 (? I don't have a clue how additional USD 28.00 appeared on the updated invoice) and without the previous USD 300.00 on-board credit. I requested that this on-board credit is also back on the invoice, as it was in NCL's invoice of Feb 2017. I would also like to have a written confirmation from NCL or CruiseDirect with the "final" invoice , which will make me satisfied (or even happy if I may say so) - which I also requested.

Will update the situation after another call from CruiseDirect, which was promised within an hour or two from now..

P.S. and thanks again members CP556 and Neil for your valuable piece of advice - makes my position firm and better prepared for future bookings.. anyway, a good experience..

Attachments

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Glad it worked out. I am still curious as to what they did but there should not have been any type of increase in price like this once your deposit was made. They made a mistake somewhere on their end and I am glad the rectified it. Have a wonderful trip, we are taking a group on that same cruise next May.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I too would like to know what on earth happened, Sergey. But get it sorted out, take the cruise, and THEN do some detective work if you like. We could learn a great deal from your case, but the first priority is for you to have a great cruise at the price you agreed to.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
@Sergey - the mysterious $28.00 is shown on the newest invoice as "Packages". That generally means motorcoach transfers (airport to ship or reverse), or a special add-on that you selected. If it were me, I'd ask NCL to define what that package is ... and if it's not something you ordered or desired, it can be removed to bring your final payment down to what was shown in the original confirmation way back when.

SO happy this worked out for you!

Jul 1, 2017
Switzerland
Dear all, today I got the updated invoice statement from CruiseDirect, and it does mention USD 350! on-board credit (see the red text on the top of the invoice), which has yet to be confirmed by NCL in writing.
I will also investigate about the Amenity package (USD 28.00) as I was not ordering any extras to my cruise. I am wondering how at all this package crawled into my invoice.
I thanked CruiseDirect representative for doing their best to resolve my problem. When we spoke first time with him, I did mention that problems and errors do occur in service industry and the only differentiation between the Good and the Poor service is HOW the problem is being treated - which I believe made him walk a couple of extra miles this week to get my case resolved positively - for which I am thankful.

I also sent a note today to NCL (to Marjorie Joe at mjoe@mycruisereservation.com) asking them to confirm the USD 300.00 on-board credit formally and do hope it will come, at least that's what was promised by NCL to CruiseDirect and that's what CruiseDirect wrote on the latest issue of the invoice for my cruise. I actually don't mind to see USD 350 there instead of the initial USD 300.00 ;-)

I will be making the final payment as soon as I have the written confirmation from NCL (maybe even today or tomorrow, if NCL is fast), just to make sure that the cruise is fully paid and to avoid any other price jumps.

Many thanks to all for your support, empathy, advice and kind wishes and (though it is still some three months till the cruise date) I look forward to enjoying our cruise (for a combined celebration of my wife's Birthday on October 10th and our wedding anniversary on Oct 12th - that's why I did not want to lose this arrangement).

cheers!

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2015
Now that you have this straightened out, two things:
  1. Make sure you look at travel insurance. Call an online broker to assist you in obtaining the right coverages for your trip/needs.
  2. Going forward, book directly with airlines, cruise lines, and hotels. Doing so will eliminate this king=d of back-and-forth.
And congratulations ...

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Ta-dam!! Here we go, a final confirmation from both the booking agent CruiseDirect and NCL, with USD 350.00 (!) on-board credit and the initial low price! Will finalize the payment tonight!

Many thanks to all of you guys and stay in touch,
P.S. U R the best...
I just love that you got a bigger shipboard credit! This has been a great case to work on, Sergey, your attitude is exemplary. We look forward to hearing from you on your return ... very best wishes for a great cruise and wonderful birthday/anniversary celebrations. No better place to do those than on a ship.

Jul 1, 2017
Switzerland
Thanks, Jsn55 and Neil, the updated invoice with the initial price and USD 350.00 on-board credit is fully paid by now and I guess it's time to think of Birthday and Wedding Anniversary decorations/amenity packages for my spouse. Later I will anyway try to investigate what could have gone wrong with these invoices and why the price jumped despite the paid deposit and confirmation, etc.- and will update this thread in case there are any news on the subject.

cheers,
Sergey

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thanks, Jsn55 and Neil, the updated invoice with the initial price and USD 350.00 on-board credit is fully paid by now and I guess it's time to think of Birthday and Wedding Anniversary decorations/amenity packages for my spouse. Later I will anyway try to investigate what could have gone wrong with these invoices and why the price jumped despite the paid deposit and confirmation, etc.- and will update this thread in case there are any news on the subject.

cheers,
Sergey
I forgot to mention how much I admire your instant 'paid in full' concept ... very clever. once they accept your payment, viola! All set.