1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Have we discussed Jet blue family removed over cake

Discussion in 'Airlines' started by AAGK, May 14, 2017.

1. Luc Terje

RE: THE COAT
    When she wrote to complain, how many miles do you think she was given?

RE: THE CAKE
    Part of me thinks this might have been staged? Looks like the mom is wearing the birthday hat on the plane. Were they going to eat the cake during the flight? One can have cakes delivered from a local grocery store to hotel, if not planning on catering. The cost to fly a family of four to Vegas, vs saving money on a cake??

It's not a quick jaunt to LV from NY. I cannot imagine trying to balance suitcases, carry-ons, dealing with children ... and .. a ... CAKE ?

krisseye, jsn55, ADM and 2 others like this.
  2. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Oh your must have found a sale! ;)

3. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Wow, maybe they were going to celebrate the birthday during the flight and share cake with everyone? That would be very cool.

John Galbraith and Luc Terje like this.
  4. Christina H

Ok I am going to admit to having traveled with bakery items -- pastries -- and it is not easy. I sometimes bring pastries back from Paris because I would rather eat those during the flight than airline food.

Usually when boarding the plane is warm (before the engines are fully on) which is not good for the pastry or cake. Even in a rigid plastic container it is really difficult because the pastry or cake can be jostled around -- I usually bring eclairs which are more durable than most and they still do not look so pretty 3 hours into the flight -- and I have lovingly carried them and have the small container at my feet. The security at the airport (CDG) xrays the pastries and often asks why I did not being extras for them. They understand the desirability of a fine eclair.

So this is a useless tangent, but in general unless one is going to eat it in flight and does not care how it looks it is better not to bring pastries or cakes on a plane.

I can understand how there would be tension over the cake in the overhead -- the people that carried the cake do not want it to be damaged and the other passengers who want to use the overhead -- and the FAs dealing with both sides.

jsn55 and TropicalRichmond like this.
  5. Just A Guy

I just have the image of Samuel L Jackson in the role of the Flight Attendant: "I'm tired of these m-fing cakes on this m-fing plane!"

6. VoR61

Advocate

This situation reminds me a bit of the closing scene from the movie Guarding Tess:

Doug Chesnic: [Calming the hospital employee who insisted it's hospital policy that patients leave by wheelchair] The regulations aren't really that sacred, are they?
    Doug Chesnic: [while lowering his sunglasses] And Tess... Get in the god damn chair.
    Tess Carlisle: [while sitting in the wheel chair, with Fredrick pushing from behind, taps hand with her right hand] Hmm. Very good, Douglas. You're going to be all right. ​

Were the regulations that important for the cake to be moved twice? And the passenger should have not have insulted the FA. A bad hill to "die on" I think.

Bad decisions all around ...

7. Buster

This borders on being a very good comedy, you can purchase a birthday cake at any store on short notice. Where is the common sense with hauling a cake half way across the US.

8. joycexyz

Well, it was a Burberry. If you have to ask, you can't afford it. BTW, what were the choice words?

John Galbraith likes this.
  9. joycexyz

Must have been a really special bakery.

10. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Well that's what I thought, but if they were going to share the cake with the other passengers, then the story made sense to me. As far as moving the thing, another example of an FA not being sweet with the request. I always wonder what frontline employees think when they're barking orders ... do they believe that we will gladly follow those orders? Moronic.

11. joycexyz

They don't just believe it--they know it! Or else!

jsn55 likes this.