Hampton discriminated

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 6, 2015
It's not just them. I checked weather undergound and others - same indication. But your point is well-taken ...

Sep 19, 2015
A lot depends on where the measuring point is -- and I have noticed that rain clouds can be spiteful when I do not have an umbrella they seem to stalk me. Also tropical storms can be very localized, a lot of rain in one area and next to none less than one mile away

Jan 6, 2015
I agree, Christina. For my own information and understanding I continued to pursue this offline as the data seemed contradictory. What I learned was very interesting.
  • I discovered how to request weather history from NOAA (see attachment), which also revealed 0.00 inches of precipitation for the entire duration of the event and more (March 9-13). So "strike one" for me.
  • With that confirmation, I then examined the Forbes and Classic Car Club articles. I noted that they both referenced ("blamed") Winter Storm Stella. When I attempted to connect the storm to Florida, my search kept pointing to the northeast. Looking further, I searched for the path of the storm and learned that it formed in the mid-atlantic (Virginia and Washington DC areas) and moved on to the New England states. "Strike two".
  • Finally I spoke with two people who were there and both indicated that the forecasted storm never materialized. There were no "heavy winds and rain". "Strike three".
What does this mean for @autocrazy? I don't know. But for me it's a lesson learned about verification of published information (no insult to anyone intended or implied).

Attachments

Sep 19, 2015
Even the threat of heavy winds should be a reason to move the event. This is an outdoors event, and the value of the cars can range from tens of thousands to millions. The insurance liability of a branch crashing into a Dusenberg or a formula one Ferrari is enormous-- a Schumacher driven Grand Prix Ferrari sold for over $7 million dollars last November. So even if there was no rain or wind the threat of it may have panicked the insurance carriers and to me it is not surprising that the event was moved.

Even the threat of heavy winds should be a reason to move the event. This is an outdoors event, and the value of the cars can range from tens of thousands to millions. The insurance liability of a branch crashing into a Dusenberg or a formula one Ferrari is enormous-- a Schumacher driven Grand Prix Ferrari sold for over $7 million dollars last November. So even if there was no rain or wind the threat of it may have panicked the insurance carriers and to me it is not surprising that the event was moved.
You're right, Christina. Even some windblown grit or dust could wreak havoc with the pristine finishes of these priceless classics. The threat would have been enough to keep me away if I were an exhibitor.

Jan 6, 2015
The reason for my detailed post concerning the veracity of the weather claims is because of the statement made in the original post by autocrazy: that early departure (for both guests) was because of weather and statements following that about the forecast vs. the actual weather. It turns out that the "high wind, heavy rain" prediction never came to pass, and that the actual weather on the original event day (Sunday, March 12th) was fairly mild.

The decision to move the event was never questioned ...