GOTOGATE REFUND

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
GOTOGATE e-mailed me on 1/15/2021 stating "Refund processed by Lufthansa- Your application has been approved by Lufthansa and they have sent us either full or partial refund. We will now process the payout to make sure you receive the correct amount." they then went on to the fact that there are a large number of cases and that they will get me my refund "as fast as we possibly can."
This is good news! Now they need to follow through. One option which should be your last resort is to file a dispute with your credit card company using the email on 1/15/21 as proof that you are owed the refund. As @SoCalTraveler mentioned, there will likely be a fee from gotogate which should be outlined in the terms of contract provided to you at the time of purchase. One concern that I have is if the airline is only refunding the taxes on the tickets as required to do when a customer cancels a flight.

Jan 6, 2021
Houston, TX
It is possible the refund might only be for the taxes paid.

I agree with my colleagues that it’s time to contact Lufthansa and question how long it will take.
Do you think it would matter? From OP’s attachment, it appears that Lufthansa has already issued a refund to GoToGate for some amount. It looks like GoToGate is the one dragging its feet on processing the actual transaction. If he gets in touch with Lufthansa, they’re just going to tell him they already issued a refund.

Reactions: Patina

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think contacting Lufthansa is in order to determine the exact date and amount that Lufthansa credited back the supplier.

This company has an F rating with the BBB.

They are located in Florida. I would suggest filing a complaint with the Florida Attorney General and the Florida Dept of Agriculture, which regulates Seller of Travel licenses.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Do you think it would matter? From OP’s attachment, it appears that Lufthansa has already issued a refund to GoToGate for some amount. It looks like GoToGate is the one dragging its feet on processing the actual transaction. If he gets in touch with Lufthansa, they’re just going to tell him they already issued a refund.
The OP appears to have no communication from the airline, only from GOTOGATE as to what has transpired. None of what GTG said or emailed may be accurate. The OP by canceling first is probably due a refund of taxes only, which will probably be kept by GTG as their fee.

Jan 6, 2021
Houston, TX
I would suggest filing a complaint with the Florida Attorney General and the Florida Dept of Agriculture, which regulates Seller of Travel licenses.
I like this idea; oftentimes getting the state agency involved at least gets their attention. This company is based in Sweden—it might not hurt to do the same thing on their home turf:

Swedish Consumer Agency/KO

Couldn’t hurt...might catch the attention of the executive team!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Look at the BBB complaints. There are many complaints about this stalling tactic by this company- and they even responded to the BBB with the same story they gave the OP- they are waiting for the airline.

OP really needs to find out if Lufthansa issued any refund.

To our OP- did you actually receive a flight confirmation with a ticket number besides the confirmation number? A booking isn’t confirmed until you receive an email with an actual ticket number.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
This is good news! Now they need to follow through. One option which should be your last resort is to file a dispute with your credit card company using the email on 1/15/21 as proof that you are owed the refund. As @SoCalTraveler mentioned, there will likely be a fee from gotogate which should be outlined in the terms of contract provided to you at the time of purchase. One concern that I have is if the airline is only refunding the taxes on the tickets as required to do when a customer cancels a flight.
Nobody else has suggested the credit card dispute route (since @Patina) and that is what I was also thinking. Isn't that the simplest way to resolve this or is there a reason that can't be done.

Jun 24, 2019
Nobody else has suggested the credit card dispute route (since @Patina) and that is what I was also thinking. Isn't that the simplest way to resolve this or is there a reason that can't be done.
You bought the tickets in January 2020. Generally, a credit card dispute must be filed within 60 days of the date of the bill on which the charge appears. That deadline would have passed in March 2020, or thereabouts.

There is an argument that a failure to post a credit or return regarding an old transaction can also be used to re-set the clock on a billing error dispute. In your case, you do not have a receipt showing a refund, and it does not appear you know the amount of the refund. However, you can certainly call your bank and ask whether they would accept a failure to post the promised refund in this instance would be treated as a billing error. While I think your chance of success is low, it just requires the investment of a small amount of time. The statute provides that a billing error includes:

(4) The creditor’s failure to reflect properly on a statement a payment made by the obligor or a credit issued to the obligor.

(You are the obligor here.)

Banks in this situation won't stand up for their customers, because the bank might have to pay the refund amount out of its own pocket, if GoToGate is out of funds.

In better times, we pursued such an out-of-time credit card dispute with Citibank regarding a vendor often mention on this site. We lost both the credit card dispute and travel insurance claim. Frankly, I can't say Citibank was wrong, so don't take this as a ding at Citibank.

You can find a full discussion of your rights under the Fair Credit Billing Act at:

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
How do I find out if they are refundable? Why have they been telling me all along that the refund was in process?
If you do not already know your tickets are refundable then they were NON refundable. Refundable tickets are much more expensive then non refundable ones.
However, OP reports that both Lufthansa and the OTA promised a refund.
Just because the OTA has stated that they requested, were approved for a refund, Got a voucher instead of a refund, or even were partially refunded the taxes and fees ( a small percentage of what you paid) does not mean any of this is true. There are so many reports of misleading messages to customers from both OTAs and airlines. Just because they say it does not mean it is true. Maybe they are stalling long enough to have money to refund, maybe they are stalling to get you outside the window for a charge-back with your credit card or maybe they just have no clue what they are saying. Even if the airline said they will refund and the OTA will refund ( remember there WILL be a charge you have to pay for the OTA to process this refund) there could be a long delay as they pay Peter from what they collect for Paul. This delay could be more then a year. Very few refunds are happening fast these days.

Nobody else has suggested the credit card dispute route
I think as this charge was almost a year ago there will be little chance it will be possible. Beyond that these days unless the credit card sees a avenue for recovering this money they will not find for you as they will have to pay you out of their pockets. So I doubt that this will be a productive way to go.
I second calling the airlines to see if they refunded the OTA. GoToGate has tons of complaints about super slow processing of refunds ( quite a few are waiting over a year). I would guess once things with Covid are more under control they will have to refund or close ( meaning nobody gets refunded). You can read the TA threads to see who and how people have been refunded. Notice that these complaint threads go back more then 5 years pre Covid.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...Gate_not_refunding_my_tickets-Air_Travel.html
I wish you good luck. You are going to need some.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoCalTraveler