Got Dropped

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 7, 2016
Maybe you can help me or give some good advice. My family just went to Cozumel nice trip; until we headed home. We had a stop over in Houston, with the final destination San Antonio.
We where told the flight canceled do to no pilot; and they tell me they have 7 days to offer a refund. Being I run a bus. we rented a car and drove home.
had 5 tickets 3 kids and my wife and myself
Now when they first had us go to a customer service center in the airport. waited 2 hours in line; when I get to talk to someone. She says they just opened a plain to San Antonio; she gets a hold of her boss and ask if she could send me and at least 10 others in line. When he gets back with her 15 min. later he says no they filled the plain and closed the gate. Only thing she can say is sorry I tried. Then says she can send us the next day; but not until 12:50 pm

Thank you

Aug 7, 2016
What advice or help are you looking for? If they couldnt get you on another flight, they owe you a refund of the unused portion of your ticket.
Who can I get a hold of; at this point they say they can wait 7 days to do anything. United airlines, and from what I have learned. that is very common for them to do that.
what should I expect from them?

Aug 28, 2015
New York
So on your way home from Mexico to Texas, you made it to Houston, but they cancelled your flight from Houston to San Antonio? You ended up driving home instead?
They need to reimburse you for that ticket. At the time of cancellation, did they offer another flight?

Aug 28, 2015
New York
The refund for the 5 of you should be prompt. Have 7 days passed? That is the mandatory airline refund deadline, I think. I don't blame you for not wanting to stay over until the next day for a flight. If they haven't refunded yet, I would send an email to establish a paper trail and probably give them a call. After a full ten business days I would dispute it on my card (only after I reached the airline first).

Michelle Bell

Staff Member
Advocate
Apr 15, 2016
Maybe you can help me or give some good advice. My family just went to Cozumel nice trip; until we headed home. We had a stop over in Houston, with the final destination San Antonio.
We where told the flight canceled do to no pilot; and they tell me they have 7 days to offer a refund. Being I run a bus. we rented a car and drove home.
had 5 tickets 3 kids and my wife and myself
Now when they first had us go to a customer service center in the airport. waited 2 hours in line; when I get to talk to someone. She says they just opened a plain to San Antonio; she gets a hold of her boss and ask if she could send me and at least 10 others in line. When he gets back with her 15 min. later he says no they filled the plain and closed the gate. Only thing she can say is sorry I tried. Then says she can send us the next day; but not until 12:50 pm

Thank you
So sorry this happened to your family, Alan. United's contract of carriage, which can be found here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contract-of-carriage.aspx#sec24 clearly indicates that credit card payments will be refunded in 7 days. Keep in mind, however, that your credit card company determines how quickly that refund will show on your statement/account. I suggest calling your credit company to see if it has been received from United but is just not showing yet.

Has United actually refused a refund? Or have you simply assumed they're not giving you something because you haven't seen it yet? If they have refused, I suggest writing to the contacts we list on our site for United: http://elliott.org/company-contacts/united-airlines/. Write a concise, polite email to the first contact, wait 7 days, and if there's been no response, move to the next contact.

I understand the reason that @AAGK is suggesting a credit card dispute, but I would hold off on this. You have some time. If you dispute the entire amount, they will likely deny it because you used most of the value of your tickets. Try appealing to United first, and then use the credit card dispute as a last resort.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Good point @JVillegirl541. I guess I assumed that had already happened.
While it's absolutely reasonable to expect a refund to be handled immediately by the airline, in reality that is not always (not usually) how it works.
You must apply, submit you locator codes (PNR) and clearly state what happened and at what point in your itinerary. And then pray that your flight records are correct. Often they will show you as a NO SHOW for a flight they rebooked you on and that you did not even know about.
You MUST apply thru their portal and get a Case #, talking to someone one the phone does not work and won't get you a refund.

Aug 7, 2016
So on your way home from Mexico to Texas, you made it to Houston, but they cancelled your flight from Houston to San Antonio? You ended up driving home instead?
They need to reimburse you for that ticket. At the time of cancellation, did they offer another flight?
yes but for the next day being Friday at 12:50pm;as I told them that would not work. Being I own a business, and needed to be back. we reserved that flight; then rent a car. Once we had that in place we called them back to let them know what we where doing. there response was they could take 7 days to do anything.

Michelle Bell

Staff Member
Advocate
Apr 15, 2016
Understood @Alan Simms. Go to United's site and file the official request for a refund and get a confirmation number. When you fill out their online form, include the fact that you were told it would be 7 days before United would do anything with your claim. You need an official request of refund ASAP.

Aug 7, 2016
So sorry this happened to your family, Alan. United's contract of carriage, which can be found here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contract-of-carriage.aspx#sec24 clearly indicates that credit card payments will be refunded in 7 days. Keep in mind, however, that your credit card company determines how quickly that refund will show on your statement/account. I suggest calling your credit company to see if it has been received from United but is just not showing yet.

Has United actually refused a refund? Or have you simply assumed they're not giving you something because you haven't seen it yet? If they have refused, I suggest writing to the contacts we list on our site for United: http://elliott.org/company-contacts/united-airlines/. Write a concise, polite email to the first contact, wait 7 days, and if there's been no response, move to the next contact.

I understand the reason that @AAGK is suggesting a credit card dispute, but I would hold off on this. You have some time. If you dispute the entire amount, they will likely deny it because you used most of the value of your tickets. Try appealing to United first, and then use the credit card dispute as a last resort.

Thank you for the info; I'll get on it. On the phone I got the feeling they could careless

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
All,of the above is true but After you request the refund, you need to prepare yourself for the amount of the refund to be very small. San Antonio is not very far from Houston and the airlines tend to calculate the fares to their advantage. They will not give you back 1/4 of your ticket or anywhere near that, I'm betting. They got you from SA>COZ>HOU so just be prepared.
Someone may be able to help you decipher the costs of the legs that are on your ticket, but I have never gotten into that myself. I have read cases on this forum though that indicated the final leg could account for a very small amount of the total ticket cost.

Last edited:

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
They actually (in the old days) used to post right on the ticket the value of each leg. No more it seems to be a secret which has nothing to do with the price of that leg if purchased separately.

Aug 28, 2015
New York

I wouldn't dispute the entire amount. That would be fraud. I would dispute the unused amount, only assuming that he properly applied for the refund and United said it was on the way.

With credit card disputes you can dispute just the improperly billed portion. If the airline promised a refund then after 10 business days and a follow up call, I would let the airline carry the loss.

Aug 5, 2016
Thank you for the info; I'll get on it. On the phone I got the feeling they could careless
Pretty much true, you have to take care of things yourself dealing with an airline. File the request for refund online and follow the instructions that are given. Especially deadlines. Be sure you give them a current email address if they have questioons.

Aug 7, 2016
All,of the above is true but After you request the refund, you need to prepare yourself for the amount of the refund to be very small. San Antonio is not very far from Houston and the airlines tend to calculate the fares to their advantage. They will not give you back 1/4 of your ticket or anywhere near that, I'm betting. They got you from SA>COZ>HOU so just be prepared.
Someone may be able to help you decipher the costs of the legs that are on your ticket, but I have never gotten into that myself. I have read cases on this forum though that indicated the final leg could account for a very small amount of the total ticket cost.
I understand that; being I brought my tickets months in advance; but if I brought a ticket that day to get back home it would have cost me 300 each.
Personally I believe we got dropped because they made more money on the people they where putting on the planes to San Antonio. I was not the only person they burned. I waited in line for 2 Hours and when I got done the line was just as big as when I got in it.

I understand that; being I brought my tickets months in advance; but if I brought a ticket that day to get back home it would have cost me 300 each.
Personally I believe we got dropped because they made more money on the people they where putting on the planes to San Antonio. I was not the only person they burned. I waited in line for 2 Hours and when I got done the line was just as big as when I got in it.
thats not how any of this works -

you are entitled under UAL's contract of carriage to a refund for the IAH-SAT portion of the flight, the IAH and SAT passenger facility charge and tax for that leg.

YOU decided to drive when they could not accommodate you until the next day - whay I would have done is get the hotel vouchers and meal vouchers for all those people - then offered to rent a car one way and save them $400 . . .oddly enough - they probably would have rejected that offer.

Aug 29, 2015
The crazy thing is that if you go online and submit your receipt for the rental car, while they will not reimburse you for the rental car, they might give you a credit in the amount of the car. I've managed to get them to do that - and had it be transferable. You never know. You just have to ask. Let them know that your family of five could not wait a full day to return home.

I'm with Joe, though, I would have asked for hotel and meal vouchers. :)