1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Global Entry Program

Discussion in 'Other' started by Babs, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

They are VERY backed up with applications and we've heard of waits of up to 6 months for the interview.

jsn55 likes this.
  2. Babs

Mid-December is 9 months. I'd be happy with 6 months.

Neil likes this.
  3. Sam

Sam

I ran into the same problem in Denver. So I looked at nearby centers. I was able to get an appointment in Albuquerque almost immediately. So I booked a cheap round trip ticket and flew back the same day.

So my advice is to look around at other centers to see if you can get an appointment before December

Neil likes this.
  4. Babs

Thanks Sam. I'm hesitant to do that because it was such an ordeal to get to where we are that I'm afraid to change something for fear of messing everything up.

5. Sam

Sam

I originally picked Denver for my meeting place. I then changed it with no problems. The actual meeting with the agents won't take more than 10 minutes. Good luck and welcome to the club

6. Babs

If you've read my earlier postings, you'll know what I mean by ordeal. It took weeks and a lot of tries to get both of us scheduled.

7. Babs

We had our interview in December. Everything went smoothly and the people were very nice. But . . ., I'm wondering how much time we bought ourselves. We just came back from Mexico. Getting through customs and immigration took no more than 5 minutes. Then we had to wait for our luggage. Short wait, no big deal.

The real problem came at TSA. There must have been 500 people in a line which snaked throughout the room. The line moved slowly. It took almost 45 minutes to get through the line. Remove shoes, jacket, empty your pockets, etc. I had to remove my tablet, which I've never had to do before. Then I was patted down after the scan. What I'm wondering is why there is not a TSA line for people who have been vetted by the FBI, photographed, and fingerprinted. Why do we have to wait in the same line as people who are visiting the US for the first time? I'm wondering just how much time we saved by giving away personal information.

8. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

There is a global entry TSA line at most airports. But with the number of people getting GE, that line is sometimes longer than the regular lines.

9. Babs

There was no Global Entry line for TSA in Atlanta only for customs and immigration. We asked previously and were told by the TSA people in Atlanta that everyone goes through the same line, no matter what.

10. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

That is very surprising that an airport that big would not have GE.

Especially since they claim they do:

http://www.atl.com/passenger-information/passenger-security/

Did you arrive before 5 AM or after 9 PM? That might be why - their hours are limited as are most other airports - when there is not as much floor traffic many don't have the lanes open. International has even less open hours as noted on the page.

VoR61 likes this.
  11. Babs

I'm talking about arriving at the airport from another country.

12. Babs

Arrived Atlanta from Mexico and had connection for domestic flight.

13. johnbaker

johnbaker Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

@Babs make sure your trusted traveller number is in your profile and attached to any reservation you have (enter it in the secure flight data area). Most of the time, it will guarantee TSA Precheck which tends to move faster. If the number isn’t there, you won’t get it.

Algebralovr, Neil and Patina like this.
  14. Babs

They have all that information. We had TSA pre on the way out of the country. We had the global entry coming back into the country. However I was told by a TSA agent that there is no such thing as TSA pre coming back into the US from a foreign country.

15. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

No there isn’t but if you are connecting to another flight you shouldn’t have to go through security again unless you have to change terminals if your flights are all on one ticket.

VoR61 likes this.
  16. Babs

We come in international terminal and leave domestic terminal. We have to change planes in Atlanta because there are no direct flights from Mexico (or any international destination) to our home city. All flights same ticket. We've traveled all over the world and they always make you go through security again in the US when you start outside the country and your destination is within the US, but not at the arrival airport. In Cincinnati you have to go through TSA again just to leave the airport. Dumb, huh?

AMA and Patina like this.
  17. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

You are correct - that happened to me as well in Atlanta. That’s why you need to leave plenty of time in between connections.

18. Babs

My question is - why is there no TSA pre for people returning to the US who have Global Entry. Why do we have to go through the same screening as foreign citizens and Americans who don't have GE? We have been thoroughly checked by the government. If there was any question, they would not have granted us GE.

19. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

When I was in Atlanta, the recheck line we went through was not the normal check in. It was was right outside of where I picked up my luggage.

20. ADM

ADM

I have experienced that in Cincinnati and I agree. It's beyond stupid.

I've connected in ATL many times returning from another country. They have a separate priority lane at security for first and business class customers. You'd think there would a TSA Pre as well.

jsn55 likes this.