Global Entry Program

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 19, 2017
My husband and I are trying to sign up for the Global Entry Program. I created an account and filled in an application. But, when my husband tried to create an account, the system kept kicking back to me and refuses to recognize him even though his information was typed it. I think the problem is that we share an email. He does not have a computer and uses my email. So he cannot sign up. Since we travel together, it's useless to have only one of us signed up.

I've filled in the box where they ask what problem you might have. I also have a phone number, but if this is a typical government office I doubt I'll be able to get through to a human. Help!

Feb 19, 2017
It's stupid to have an email address for someone who doesn't use a computer, but I created a gmail address for him and forwarded it to my account. Thanks all who answered.

Feb 20, 2017
Here is a tip for this kind of problem. Some email programs, including gmail, allow you to add a plus sign and some additional characters just before the "@" sign. They will ignore that extra stuff when email is sent there, but by looking at the detailed header information (which is a little down facing triangle that is "show details" in the header of gmail's web client), you can see what was sent. For example john.smith+glb@gmail.com. Most websites that ask for an email will treat john.smith@gmail.com and john.smith+glb@gmail.com as different.

You can also use that trick to see who sells your email address: use a different "+" suffix for every signup, suggestive of the website where you signed up. When you get an email from someone you didn't sign up for, check "show details" and see if someone sold your email address to the party sending you email.

Unfortunately, there are some websites who think "+" is not a legal character in an email address, when it's supposed to be, so this trick doesn't always work

For gmail, there is another trick which is that gmail ignores periods. john.smith@gmail.com is treated exactly the same as johnsmith@gmail.com or j.ohn.s.mith@gmail.com. Most websites think extra periods are different email addresses.

Jan 8, 2015
It's stupid to have an email address for someone who doesn't use a computer, but I created a gmail address for him and forwarded it to my account. Thanks all who answered.
What is really stupid is the government for not being able to link two people to one email account.

Sep 19, 2015
Honestly I thought think it is better to have one account per email for privacy issues. Divorce, estrangement, etc happens and is it really so hard to set up a free email for global entry?

My father does not use a computer because of vision issues so I just set up an email for him and do it. It is also less confusing for me.

kenish

Verified Member
Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
What is really stupid is the government for not being able to link two people to one email account.
There are security and privacy reasons for not linking accounts. Also don't use Yahoo email due to the repeated hacking cited above. Gmail is very secure, they also do a very good job of filtering out spam from personal experience.

Jan 8, 2015
There are security and privacy reasons for not linking accounts. Also don't use Yahoo email due to the repeated hacking cited above. Gmail is very secure, they also do a very good job of filtering out spam from personal experience.
Married people can have access to everything the other person owns. Their SSI, tax records, bank accounts, doctor records, etc so I'm not buying the security and privacy angle.

Oct 13, 2015
Married people can have access to everything the other person owns. Their SSI, tax records, bank accounts, doctor records, etc so I'm not buying the security and privacy angle.
I'm in health care and people can access their spouses' health records only if they can prove they are the legal guardians of the spouse. Furthermore, if your wife calls my office and asks, "Is my husband Mike there?", I'm not allowed to answer yes or no to that question unless I have your permission to divulge that. Without your permission, the only thing I can say is, "I can't answer that question."

Feb 19, 2017
OK, I created an email account for my husband and we signed him up for an account with his unique email address, user name and password. Today we tried to access the account so he can fill in the application and it still keeps kicking back to me. It says his account is "invalid" when yesterday it welcomed him to the system. I tried calling, but they said they were not answering the phone at that time and I must use email (which I've already done with no answer.) It may have been after hours as they don't work very long.

So, we are back to square one. I have a few choice words for the customs and border people, but I don't want to be shut out of the program.

kenish

Verified Member
Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
I tried calling, but they said they were not answering the phone at that time and I must use email (which I've already done with no answer.) It may have been after hours as they don't work very long.

So, we are back to square one. I have a few choice words for the customs and border people, but I don't want to be shut out of the program.
Today (Feb 20) is a national holiday and all government offices are closed. Possibly trying to use your email for both of you triggered a flag and you have to get it cleared up. Send test emails between your account and your husband's to confirm his is working.

Good that you set up an independent email account. From our experience and articles on travel sites, the slightest irregularly or blemish on one's record can disqualify from GI.

Feb 19, 2017
Forgot today was a holiday. It's not for most of us. I'll try tomorrow. This has been an extremely frustrating experience. They are encouraging people to join the program and making it as hard as possible.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Forgot today was a holiday. It's not for most of us. I'll try tomorrow. This has been an extremely frustrating experience. They are encouraging people to join the program and making it as hard as possible.
Babs, they're not making it difficult, they just have guidelines and rules for you to follow. This is the 'world wide web' and your personal information has to be safeguarded.

I have occasionally experienced exactly what you did today; it's a part of using the internet. You set it all up, you write down the email, the ID, the password. Next time, you can't log on. I just go back later, hit each character of my sign-in with one finger and make sure it's correct, 9 times out of 10 it goes right through. If it doesn't, there's usually a "Forget your Password?" or "Forget your ID?" that you can use to recover the account. Internet entities don't offer many opportunities for a consumer to talk with someone on the phone, so it's important we all learn how to get along with them ... they don't much care about guiding us. I hope you're able to reach your goal here without further frustration.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
How many couples have looked like they were happily married and then -boom - something happens, they are filing for divorce and locking each other out of accounts.

My wife and I do not share email addresses. Her business is hers and mine is mine.
My poor Hubby is clueless. I set up his email, applied for his Global Entry and renewed his passport. He wonders about that noise he keeps hearing (it's his cell phone ringing).

Anyway my highly educated Hubby of 43 yrs is clueless when it comes to computers, internet and my old iPhone that is now in his pocket. And his fancy new car with all the bells and whistles.... oh my it's a wonder he can even turn it on.
Many married couples are like us and heaven help this man if something happens to me.