1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Global Entry Membership denial

Discussion in 'Other' started by FLM, Feb 16, 2016.

1. FLM

FLM

I have a European vacation trip in April and I just applied for a Global Entry Membership and my application was denied. On my application I admitted to a an arrest in Windsor Ontario, Canada in 1973 for less than 1/4 ounce of marijuana. I was 26 years old and this was the first and only time I have ever been arrested. At my court appearance I was fined $150.00 and released without serving any jail time since this was a first offense. I am now retired an active volunteer in my community on both a governmental and civic level. My wife and I travel all over the world and I have also been back to Canada. Considering my honesty about this youthful indiscretion over 43 years ago I feel this is an unwarranted rejection. My wife has also applied and was granted an appointment and I am sure she will be accepted. What are my options?

2. kenish

Staff Member Advocate

Unfortunately, *any* arrest or conviction is usually disqualifying for GE, regardless of the age or severity of the offense. Spend a few minutes doing a Google search and the many articles on travel and news websites all tell the same story. The government exhaustively searches databases and people who apply come to realize that CBP knows just about everything. It's good you were honest and forthcoming because any discrepancies between the application and fact-checking is a "deal killer". One person was rejected because years before, she forgot about an apple in her bag while going through Customs. Another person was arrested in middle school for stealing from the school's supply room. The school realized a mixup, dropped the charges, and the judge sealed the record of the arrest. However CBP had full access and disqualified him....after appealing and a ton of paperwork proving it was a false arrest, he was granted GE.

The CBP website explains how to appeal: http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/program-denials It's unlikely you will prevail since the hard fact is you have a conviction on your record. But you should definitely try.

Also, your spouse might be denied GE based on your record. There was a recent case on this forum where that happened, and a few articles I found on Google had cases of "guilt by marriage". One guy was denied GE because his wife had been arrested for shoplifting as a teen...she never told him!!

Let us know how things turn out. Although it's disappointing, you're no worse off than before (but $100 poorer). You can still enter the US the way you always have. An aside- Americans are sometimes denied entry to Canada for a DUI conviction. Canada classifies DUI as a felony, which bars entry for 10 years. Of course, DUI is more serious than your situation; just pointing out a conviction can become a big issue when traveling internationally.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  3. Flywisely

Sadly, none.

4. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

If you hadn't admitted your indiscretion I think they would have found it and you would have been denied for not exposing it. They really do a thorough background check,

Unfortunately, Global Entry is a privilege for citizens with squeaky clean backgrounds that are absolutely no threat. Once you have an arrest, you no longer have that squeaky clean background.

You can try to appeal but appealing is no guarantee. I would also be concerned now if your passport might be flagged should you go back into Canada because they are so strict on not allowing people in with any kind of arrest on record but they may be a little more forgiving since it was so long ago.

Do you fly internationally a lot? If you don't, it may not really be worth all of the fuss. If you travel several times a year it is worth it.

Patina likes this.
  5. Joe Farrell

Actually - they only care about drug related offenses as a misdemeanor or below - or felonies. The US Govt is hamstrung on drug offenses because thats one of the primary reasons we have customs - they are looking for drugs and goods they can tax - that the only reason they are into it.

Neil and jsn55 like this.
  6. Brian Brown

I have Global Entry as well as some other security clearances. What everyone has stated previously is correct regarding Global Entry Applicants. You have to have a very clean background with nothing more than minor traffic violations. Also - should make a boo boo after you get Global Entry, the US CBP can take your Global Entry Away. Global Entry is designed for international travel using the express lane at customs.

If you are looking for TSA precheck, try the TSA Program by Universal Enrollment Services. This program started in 2014 and it is only $85 and they allow offences - including certain felonies, as long as the offenses where more than 7 years ago. There is a list of offences that are allowable and a list of offences that are declining offences on the application. The TSA program is modeled after the TSA/ Coast Guard Marine Security TWIC program for access to ports and vessels. The TWIC program has been in effect since about 2007 and has gained wide acceptance among a number of organizations that require a threat assessment check.

In the previous posts, there were mentions of example of offences that people get denied for on Global Entry. A couple of my favorite reasons for denial are: Someone was hiking and went off the trail and ended up getting a trespassing ticket. Another person got a fish and game violation ticket for having excess fish. A person was taking professional landscape pictures in an area that had an open fence – Also got a trespassing ticket.

A previous post made mention of people with DUIs having problems in Canada for 10 years. It is longer than that. I know people with 20+ year old DUI offences that still have problems with Canada.

If anyone gets denied Global Entry, don’t feel too bad. Here are some nice facts: 1) There are local and federal law enforcement personnel that can carry guns on planes and bypass security, but they would not qualify for Global Entry. 2) There are a great many air crew (Pilots and Flight attendants) that would never qualify for Global Entry, and have more than one felony. These people bypass security.

FLM, krisseye, jsn55 and 2 others like this.
  7. Barry Graham

Barry Graham Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Director

It's interesting that the government on the one hand is so strict about drug offenses while at the same time states are making it legal to do exactly what is probably preventing the OP from getting Global Entry. On the other hand, it's comforting to know that they are only giving Global Entry to people with a clean history.

8. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

I don't know if it's true or not, but I read about someone whose PreChek status was yanked because he had an under 3oz bottle of liquid in his carryon. The theory was that you get these lovely perks because you are a "trusted traveller" who wouldn't dream of violating the TSA's rules, no matter how inane. Since I once flew 5 segments with a (unknown) corkscrew in my bag, I now check our carryons thoroughly before we leave home.

9. Barry Graham

Barry Graham Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Director

I know someone who forgot to consume the water in his carry on and was caught with the water in TEA pre, he still has TSA pre.

AAGK likes this.
  10. kenish

Staff Member Advocate

@judyserienagy Keep in mind there's one more element of Precheck. You're assumed to be an experienced traveler who "knows the drill" and won't congest the expedited handling with screening issues. So it's good you check before you head off to the airport.

AAGK and Neil like this.
  11. mmb

mmb

.... Wait... What's wrong with under 3 ounces?

Neil likes this.
  12. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Nothing if it is in a ziplock bag. I find that hard to believe - my wife leaves a bottle of nail polish in her purse and has yet to be stopped for it. Sometimes you do have stuff leftover in your bag that you forget about. I am not sure I'd believe that story.

13. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Here is a true story......we were flying back to the States from Mexico. My husband was given a full bottle of tequila by a friend of his mom's. We never check luggage so he had it in his carry-on bag. He wanted to see how far he could get with it before someone confiscated it. (He loves a challenge of any sort!) We got through the first security checkpoint without a question. I believe it was because Mexico does not have the same liquid restrictions within their own country. Once we arrived at the departure gate we had to go through another security checkpoint, this time by hand. The agent saw the bottle and stated to my husband that no liquids larger than 3 oz. are allowed on flights to the States. My husband stated it wasn't liquid, it was tequila. She looked at him and said, "oh, okay, go ahead." And off he went onto the airplane with his full bottle of tequila! Not to mention the small Leatherman he forgot he had in his pencil case. I have never held a smidgen of faith in the TSA and their equivalent.

krisseye, George M and Neil like this.
  14. FLM

FLM

Fortunately my wife was granted GE and my situation never came up in her interview.

AAGK, cp556, jsn55 and 2 others like this.
  15. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

EXACTLY, Patina - I have no faith in security either. But Pre-Chek is so enjoyable that I'd hate to lose it over a bottle of nailpolish.

Your husband sounds like my kinda guy - that tequila story is priceless.

16. cp556

cp556 Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

@FLM - Thank you for getting back to us with the resolution of your situation. I'm happy your wife received Global Entry, and enlightened to learn that a long-ago offense precluded your acceptance.

AAGK likes this.
  17. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Judy, he is a little devil disguised as an angel! The amount of things he gets away with astonishes me......and its all done through pure, genuine kindness :)

18. Lava

Hello,

I had my interview today and was denied because 5 years ago my girlfriend decided to drive from California to Arizona with medical mj in the car. She was pulled over at the check point. We had barely even started dating and since then she no longer smokes. The case was thrown out along with all of the cases involving Medical Marijuana since both states had laws allowing it.

Either way, I don't understand what this has to do with my record. We aren't married, simply dating but live in the same house. My record is absolutely perfect and 100% clean. I could even give them a blood sample. I don't know what to do and can't believe that I am being denied because someone I am dating made a bad choice years ago.

19. AAGK

Back up a minute. Were you charged with anything or arrested at the time? Was it your car? Were you the passenger? You are still dating, but not married. It is unclear how they would have connected you to her if you were not involved in the original event.
    Also, does your gf have pre check? If not, Do you frequently travel without her?

20. Lava

I was not there. We had barely started dating. Not my car. Not married, but living under the same roof. The knew because of the address, she is the owner of the house and they asked my in my interview who else lived in the house. I didn't suspect a thing, said who it was. She did also apply for Global Access and was denied but I honestly didn't think this would have anything to do with me.
    I have asked to speak with a supervisor and have another appointment next week but he told me today that they would not change their mind.

I have a 100% clean record, completely clean.