1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting New Luggage With a USB Charger? Think twice!

Discussion in 'Airlines' started by Neil, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

VoR61, mmb and Patina like this.
  2. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Good warning, Neil, I had read something about this the other day. Do you 'charge' your suitcase before the trip and then plug your devices into it on the road? This strikes me as about the same level as using an online service to give your friends money for your portion of the dinner check. Lots of fun, but what's the point?

I'm still longing for a suitcase on which you can sit and be levitated through the airport.

mmb likes this.
  3. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Well Delta announced if you cannot remove the battery, they don’t accept these as carry on either.

4. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

jsn55 likes this.
  5. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I agree! But as far as the bags being inside the cabin- it makes no sense. They want laptops put in the cabin as a carry on but they won’t allow the bags with the USB unless the battery is temoved.

6. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Yeah, I thought the same thing! But, when does airline logic ever make sense?!?

7. Christina H

In a way I have to say it makes sense about the battery removal. All it takes battery catching fire in a luggage hold for their to be a catastrophe.

Think of the number of passengers in the later boarding zones that are forced to gate check their luggage. Tensions could really fly if someone does not have the time to open their bag on the jetway and take out the battery as the flight is boarding. It is one thing to grab a laptop out of a roller board as roller board is gate checked it is another to have someone partially unpack to detach the battery so the roller board can be gate checked.

Patina and Just A Guy like this.
  8. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

You now have to pick laptops in your carry on’s now but they still don’t require you remove the battery. So if they don’t require you to take the battery out of the laptop, why require it on the suitcase? That’s my only point.

Patina likes this.
  9. Christina H

I think it is the gate check issue. Most people (not all as we have seen) will grab their laptop out of a carry on if the carry on is gate checked.

I think there is a general suspicion on the stability of a lot of lithium ion batteries after the hover boards and some Samsung.

I also taken this restriction as a tacit admission that the issue of forced gate check of carryon luggage will continue to be a problem. People can grab their laptop but the luggage will be quickly tagged and taken away.

I can imagine the arguments from boarding zone 4 (or whichever later zone) "you cannot force me to gate check this bag it is a smart bag I have to carry it on."

Neil likes this.
  10. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

You are right.

11. Christina H

Neil I just heard a new announcement -- I just got off an inter european Lufthansa flight. After the warning that we are leaving the gate for departure, tray tables up, phones in flight mode etc the purser tells us to "notify a cabin attendant if your electronic device starts to overheat or smoke comes out of it" ..... I do recall hearing that on my transatlantic but I may not have been listening.

Have you heard this warning before?

Carrie Livingston and jsn55 like this.
  12. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

No I have never heard that. I wonder if this is happening more frequently with these batteries?

Christina H likes this.
  13. Just A Guy

jsn55 likes this.
  14. VoR61

Advocate

Some smart luggage has location technology in it. If the battery is removed, that feature may end up being worthless.

jsn55 and Neil like this.
  15. Christina H

I was not sure if this was something that was announced but did not register with me earlier or if it was a new announcement. Now I will pay more attention -- this was on LH 1844 today.

I do think more and more people carrying lithium ion batteries -- I travel with two extras.

jsn55, mmb and Neil like this.
  16. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Thats correct and also makes these bags useless if you can't leave the battery in it when flying.

jsn55 and VoR61 like this.
  17. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

It's my considered opinion that lithium batteries are unstable at 36K feet. But the airlines are already so loathed by their passengers that they're not gonna do a thing until a major catastrophe occurs. I cannot IMAGINE banning all lithium batteries in the cabin and in the hold, but that's what they should do. Then many of us will stop flying.

Neil likes this.
  18. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Every flight I've ever taken in a small plane has had MANY announcements about gate checking your rollaboards. Now United makes equally as many announcements to the people boarding in Group 4 and higher. There's no excuse for someone being rushed into leaving valuables in a gate-checked bag. All they have to do is listen to the announcements. Gee, wouldn't that be helpful?

Christina H and Patina like this.
  19. Christina H

Not being prepared is an issue I see a lot -- I have been behind passengers who are standing in line for TSA Pre Check security while the announcements are being yet still try to walk through the scanner with their keys in their pockets --- and then they are shocked when they have to go back.

I understand missing a stray coin and having to be rescreened but I have seen too many with massive key rings or a lot of change slow up the pre check lines

Travel would be less stressful if people paid attention.

Patina, Neil and mmb like this.
  20. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Or belts.