Geico wants to screw us, no dinner first!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 30, 2017
My partner Christopher and I need some advice regarding battling with an auto insurance company over a claim where we were determined to be not at fault. They're not only trying to rip us off with their "offer" for my totalled Volvo (they offered us $2500, replacement value is $4500 by their own definition); they ended our vehicle rental today, even though we couldn't accept their offer even if we wanted to because we haven't received the title from the state. At this point we're trying to figure out some kind of action we can take to force them to reinstate the rental car, since #1 neither the adjustor nor his supervisor have returned our calls or emails in about a week; and #2 they're essentially leaving a disabled person without the ability to get to medical appointments, physical therapy and an MRI.

What we really need is for them to either give us the $4500 they owe us with a workaround on the title or they need to put us back into a rental until the state finally sends out the title!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Some questions. Who owns the Volvo? Has the title been lost or misplaced? Can the DMV issue a temporary title? What do the terms of your auto insurance state about providing a rental car? If you're not at fault, why isn't the other party paying for a rental? What is the reason that GEICO is unwilling to pay you the correct amount for the vehicle? Once we gather some facts, I'm sure we can help.

The title on this post could be considered offensive, I suggest you change it.

R

Realitoes

Is Geico your insurance company or the other persons? If it is yours, they should pay in accordance with your policy. If it is the other persons, then they are working for them, and you will probably need to hire an attorney to represent your interest.

If your insurance policy includes collision, then the easy route is to file against your policy, and the insurance companies can battle out among themselves who pays who!

Nov 30, 2017
Both parties have Geico.
If I had $1k for deductible on our policy I would buy a cheap beater then sell it again at the end of this nonsense.

Is Geico your insurance company or the other persons? If it is yours, they should pay in accordance with your policy. If it is the other persons, then they are working for them, and you will probably need to hire an attorney to represent your interest.

If your insurance policy includes collision, then the easy route is to file against your policy, and the insurance companies can battle out among themselves who pays who!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They determined the other driver is at fault. He ran a red arrow and broadsided my partner.
Right but if you live in a no fault state it doesn't matter who was at fault. What state do you live in? So are you putting in the claim against the others drivers policy or your own? You should be putting it through your own and they will take care of dealing with the other driver.

The deductible was chosen by you so I am not sure what that has to do with anything. How old is the car?

Nov 30, 2017
We are
Right but if you live in a no fault state it doesn't matter who was at fault. What state do you live in? So are you putting in the claim against the others drivers policy or your own? You should be putting it through your own and they will take care of dealing with the other driver.

The deductible was chosen by you so I am not sure what that has to do with anything. How old is the car?
in Minnesota. The problem with putting it through our own policy, is that we would then have to pay $1000 out of pocket, which I don’t happen to have. Even if I did have it a far better use of it right now would be to buy a clunker to drive around while this is all getting sorted out, because they don’t seem to be willing to do anything about the titling issue.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
To be clear: the value of the car is $4500 and the other driver's ins is offering you $2500. If you go through your insurance (which is how it normally works), you accept the $1000 deductible per your policy terms, and you end up with $3500. Am I missing something? You don't "pay" the $1000 deductible; your claim is just reduced by that amount.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
To be clear: the value of the car is $4500 and the other driver's ins is offering you $2500. If you go through your insurance (which is how it normally works), you accept the $1000 deductible per your policy terms, and you end up with $3500. Am I missing something? You don't "pay" the $1000 deductible; your claim is just reduced by that amount.
If the insurance company is only offering $2500 then the body shop would have to fix it for that amount wouldn't they?

But if they are offering $2500 and his deductible is $1,000 that only leaves $1500 to fix the car.

Nov 30, 2017
UPDATE:
this morning the supervisor of our adjuster called. He did make excuses for the adjuster’s behavior but he also put us into a car for another week, and gave us justification on the price offered. I’m more ok with the price offered because they told us about CarGurus.com where there are lots of options in that range. Since almost none are local to me I still want a little more money but really the gap is much smaller now. Our adjuster could/should have spent the 10 seconds to tell me about this site any of the three separate times we discussed the offer.

As for the title, they are going to do exactly what I suggested two weeks ago. It was “a really good idea” and he did explain why it’s usually not their preference.

So we are about halfway there. We exhausted the time I would have to do anything because I work four ten hour shifts and am therefore unavailable during 3/5 of their office hours. I feel better about this overall, and I have an inquiry to a dealer in Chicago that has 12 similar Volvos in their inventory at reasonable prices.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
UPDATE:
this morning the supervisor of our adjuster called. He did make excuses for the adjuster’s behavior but he also put us into a car for another week, and gave us justification on the price offered. I’m more ok with the price offered because they told us about CarGurus.com where there are lots of options in that range. Since almost none are local to me I still want a little more money but really the gap is much smaller now. Our adjuster could/should have spent the 10 seconds to tell me about this site any of the three separate times we discussed the offer.

As for the title, they are going to do exactly what I suggested two weeks ago. It was “a really good idea” and he did explain why it’s usually not their preference.

So we are about halfway there. We exhausted the time I would have to do anything because I work four ten hour shifts and am therefore unavailable during 3/5 of their office hours. I feel better about this overall, and I have an inquiry to a dealer in Chicago that has 12 similar Volvos in their inventory at reasonable prices.
I am glad that you are finally getting somewhere. So you obtained the value of what you thought the car was worth from cargurus.com?

It's a shame that this guy waited so long to contact you - this could have alleviated some of the stress you have been under.

Nov 30, 2017
I am glad that you are finally getting somewhere. So you obtained the value of what y ou thought the car was worth from cargurus.com?

It's a shame that this guy waited so long to contact you - this could have alleviated some of the stress you have been under.
The book value was never in debate. The problem is that In my searching we couldn’t find the car for that little. So yeah would have been really nifty to know that.