1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

FYI: Possible phishing email from TripAdvisor

Discussion in 'Travel agencies' started by AMA, May 13, 2017.

1. AMA

AMA

I received an email purporting to be from TripAdvisor claiming my account has been "compromised" and telling me to click on a link to reset my password. I NEVER click on any of those links, but I did go directly to TRipAdvisor's website and changed my password there. The message didn't show up in my spam folder, just my regular email.

The email looks reasonably legitimate (no spelling errors or bad grammar) but just use caution.

jsn55 and VoR61 like this.
  2. VoR61

Advocate

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Luc Terje likes this.
  3. Luc Terje

Unfortunately I receive, on average, one phishing attempt a week. Recently from Apple, but in the past year it's been CountryWide, NavyFederal, Citi, USBank, McGill U in Canada (ha!), NetFlix, and Wells. Of the above, I have accounts with one of these, and that's it.

You get skilled at spotting the fake. I do my best to forward to the institution to the right e-mail for reporting. While I never click on the link they recommend, if you hover over the link, my laptop will show the real scam link address in the lower left corner of the screen.

The spammers are getting more and more clever in the mimicking, but that means, unfortunately, there still is money to be had with these schemes.

AMA and jsn55 like this.
  4. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

I get very few of these nasty things, but I make a point of avoiding YouTube and those kinds of sites, never follow any links posted publicly and using FaceBook sparingly only at the office with good security. I'm especially careful of emails from my 'friends', often deleting without opening and contacting the sender directly. It's annoying, but my personal and biz stuff is all on my big machine and the laptop, so I can't take any chances.

5. AMA

AMA

It looked very legitimate, but I searched TA for a way to report fraud/phishing, and couldn't find any means of doing so.

6. VoR61

Advocate

I've updated the link above that should allow you to report spam

Luc Terje and jsn55 like this.
  7. Luc Terje

What I do is look on a Google search.

Put in: "COMPANY NAME phishing reporting", and usually the results summary page will reveal e-mail address, without having to click the link.

mmb, jsn55, VoR61 and 1 other person like this.