Frontier Airlines help

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 4, 2017
I hope you can help. I have been writing back and forth with Dora at Frontier Customer Service but get no where. I contacted DOT who forwarded my complaint to Frontier. Again, no where. All I get are reasons why airfares fluctuate, etc. All their explanation is gibberish to me. I can never get a straightforward answer, an "I'm sorry," nothing.
In mid-January 2017, after searching for several weeks, I settled on an airfare for my daughter and her family to fly from DSM to SNA and return to DSM. The airfare was in conjunction with United Airlines. For booking, I had to first book directly with United. The total cost was $1,049. United did not charge any extra fees. Then I was directed to book directly with Frontier for the return flight. The airfare alone was $1,757, $708 more than United. Even though I didn't like the difference in price, I thought I had to continue the booking because it was in conjunction with the already booked United flight. During the booking procedure with Frontier, I realized that in order to keep my family (grandchildren with parents) together on the flight, I had to pay $9 per person per leg, a total of $90. At a later date I had to pay a fee of $175 for carry-ons. The total amount over what United charged is $973 for the same distance and the same airports. As an added feature, the Frontier flight was a less convenient flight because it was an overnight layover flight.
I have emails to back my correspondence with Frontier Airlines and DOT for your review, if necessary.

What's your desired resolution? A refund of $973, $708 for airfare and $265 seat & carry-on fees.

What's the value of your claim (in US $) $973

Date of transaction/travel date: 1/14/2017

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
John is right- Frontier seems cheap in the beginning but charges for seat assignment, luggage, etc.

Once you file a DOT complaint, we can't do anything else. The airline will no longer take to you directly and and they won't talk to us for anything.

Obviously if the DOT sided with them it's because they disclose that everything is extr on their website.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Unfortunately United has their own fare rules, and Frontier has theirs. It sounds like you booked separate one-way tickets on two separate airlines rather than a round-trip with one or the other. You're bound by the two different contracts of carriage on each ticket. United's fare rules are not the same as Frontier's.

Nov 14, 2016
I am just really struggling to understand the complaint by Elaine. I don't understand the following:

1. Why she decided to book one way ticket instead of round trip tickets.
2. Why she decided to use different carriers.
3. Why she wants and expects the differential in airfare between these two different tickets on different dates with different carriers.
4. Why she wants refunds for fees that are clearly disclosed by the carrier.
5. Why she chose to book these flights without the help of a travel agent.

Maybe she'll come back and can help address these questions because - to use her quote - all of her original post is gibberish to me. I'm just really confused.

I have a suspicion that this case may end up being a textbook example of why Travel Agents can be so useful for folks who don't fly much. It's changed so much since the old regulatory days (and even pre-9/11) that if someone only had passing experience with the old ways then modern travel must be very confusing. Anyway, lets hope she comes back and addresses the above questions.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Hopefully you now have a better understanding of what you purchased. Did you make these arrangements online? Using the internet to book travel is sometimes very complex, even frequent travellers are super-careful when booking flights, reading every word of the fine print, such as all the excess charges from Frontier. Nobody at Frontier or DOT is responding to you because you made the purchase and didn't cancel it within 24 hours.

Who/what was 'directing' you to make reservations on two different airlines, when Frontier's price was so much higher and the the itinerary not to your liking? That's the entity to whom you should complain. I'm sorry for the buy you made and wish we could be more help.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I find it almost impossible that United's website directed her to Frontiers tickets. Who directed her to Frontiers website?

Then I was directed to book directly with Frontier for the return flight. The airfare alone was $1,757, $708 more than United. Even though I didn't like the difference in price, I thought I had to continue the booking because it was in conjunction with the already booked United flight.

Who directed you?

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Who directed you? It certainly was not United Airlines? I'm betting the confirmation email has a very interesting "header" maybe some Look Alike website?

Apr 4, 2017
But, all DOT did was forward the complaint to Frontier. I had already been in communication with Frontier when I filed the complaint with DOT. I don't understand how Frontier gets away with charging almost $1,000 more than United. And as I explained, I had already paid for the United airfare when it came time to pay Frontier's airfare. I thought I had no choice but to continue the Frontier transaction. I feel that no one cares and I cannot get help anywhere.

@Elaine Spikes Since you've already filed a DOT complaint there's little that we can do. Unfortunately, all the fees that you described are listed on Frontier's website so credit card chargebacks etc really aren't an option either. Sounds like you may just want to avoid Frontier in the future.

Apr 4, 2017
Who directed you? It certainly was not United Airlines? I'm betting the confirmation email has a very interesting "header" maybe some Look Alike website?
It was an airfare I found through a booking website, possibly Momondo, Google Flights, or Kayak. I can't remember which one and the name is not listed on any of my documentation. The booking website directed me to United, then Frontier.

Apr 4, 2017
I find it almost impossible that United's website directed her to Frontiers tickets. Who directed her to Frontiers website?

See my response in the thread. Thank you.

Then I was directed to book directly with Frontier for the return flight. The airfare alone was $1,757, $708 more than United. Even though I didn't like the difference in price, I thought I had to continue the booking because it was in conjunction with the already booked United flight.

Who directed you?

Apr 4, 2017
I am just really struggling to understand the complaint by Elaine. I don't understand the following:

1. Why she decided to book one way ticket instead of round trip tickets.
2. Why she decided to use different carriers.
3. Why she wants and expects the differential in airfare between these two different tickets on different dates with different carriers.
4. Why she wants refunds for fees that are clearly disclosed by the carrier.
5. Why she chose to book these flights without the help of a travel agent.

Maybe she'll come back and can help address these questions because - to use her quote - all of her original post is gibberish to me. I'm just really confused.

I have a suspicion that this case may end up being a textbook example of why Travel Agents can be so useful for folks who don't fly much. It's changed so much since the old regulatory days (and even pre-9/11) that if someone only had passing experience with the old ways then modern travel must be very confusing. Anyway, lets hope she comes back and addresses the above questions.
I fly frequently using United's website. I've never had a problem. I explained my story well.
The airfare in question was through a booking website. It was the lowest "round trip" airfare I could find for my daughter's family of five. Unfortunately, it was two different carriers. That's when I learned that Frontier charged a lot more than United even though Frontier advertises that they are a low fare airline.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Frontier can charge ANYTHING they want for their tickets. They own the plane and they set the fares. The airline does not have to justify their prices.
As a consumer you had a choice to book with anyone you wanted or not book at all. Frontier Airlines and United Airlines are not partners and have no connection to each other. In other words United had nothing to do with referring you to Frontier.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Frontier did nothing thing illegal or Unethical. Please avoid these issues in the future by visiting your local Travel Agency and let them help you with your future bookings.

Apr 4, 2017
Frontier can charge ANYTHING they want for their tickets. They own the plane and they set the fares. The airline does not have to justify their prices.
As a consumer you had a choice to book with anyone you wanted or not book at all. Frontier Airlines and United Airlines are not partners and have no connection to each other. In other words United had nothing to do with referring you to Frontier.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Frontier did nothing thing illegal or Unethical. Please avoid these issues in the future by visiting your local Travel Agency and let them help you with your future bookings.
Please don't respond to me in this way. I am not a child. I understand that airlines can charge whatever they want. That is what happened. My complaint is: How does Frontier get away with stating they are a low cost airline when they are obvious not?

Apr 4, 2017
Unfortunately United has their own fare rules, and Frontier has theirs. It sounds like you booked separate one-way tickets on two separate airlines rather than a round-trip with one or the other. You're bound by the two different contracts of carriage on each ticket. United's fare rules are not the same as Frontier's.
No, it was a round trip quote through a booking website.