Frontier airline delays and compensations

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 4, 2018
Hello friends,

I am looking for some advice here in dealing with Frontier Airlines. Here is my experience:
(1) We had a frontier flight (F9#1843) from IAD to SJC on 1-Jun 04:30pm. 6 hours before the departure, I got a notification that the flight is delayed to 10:05pm. There were no reasons given, but later I found many of the flights out of IAD have been delayed. I called the agent and requested them to accommodate on a morning flight instead of the red-eye flight which they did. They accommodated us on a 6am flight out of IAD with connections at DEN.
(2) When we arrived at the airport on 2-Jun, we've found that the flight was delayed by ~1.5 hours due to crew fatigue and so they informed that all SJC passengers will miss their connection at DEN. So they explicitly asked us not to board the DEN flight that started after 1.5 hours later. They also informed us to either call their Customer service for a later flight or come next day morning 6am. I tried calling their Customer service and despite being in the line for 1 hour, couldn't reach any agent. Since I have to be in SJC for an event next day, I went back to the desk agent and insisted on accommodating us on alternate flights.
(3) So, they tried to put us on IAD-LAS, LAS-SJC flights that was starting at that time. However since LAS-SJC flight was overbooked, they weren't able to accommodate us in that connection. Due to my insistence, they put us on IAD-LAS and mentioned to me to check at LAS counter for the connection to LAS-SJC. In that confusion, they updated our flight only for IAD-LAS and completely missed the LAS-SJC connection in our ticket records. Now our tickets showed only one trip from IAD-LAS that we didn't realize until we hit LAS.
(4) When we arrived in LAS, we found there was no trip to SJC in our record on top of the flight being overbooked. Hence, I was forced to buy another ticket from LAS-SJC on Delta at a cost of $180/ticket (Total = $360)
(5) I reported to Frontier Customer service and their agent has informed that I am eligible only for the missed connection flight from LAS-SJC or DEN-SJC whichever is lower. This is his recommendation which he'd sent to his supervisor for approval. Once approved, they'd contact me.
(6) The call happened 2 nights ago, and I am yet to receive a notification back from them.

My questions are:
What are my compensation situations here:
(1) Should Frontier compensate me for the original flight delays on 1-Jun and the subsequent compensation for the flight delay? There was a hotel cost $90/night and additional rental $35/day.
(2) Should Frontier compensate me for not fulfilling the ticket obligations to take us back to SJC? Are they supposed to comp on the cost of the extra ticket from LAS-SJC?
(3) What are the possible next steps I could take here?

Thanks a bunch in advance for your guidance.

Regards
Venky

Sep 19, 2015
What a mess.

It has only been 2 days so perhaps a few more for refund.

What is terrible is that there are few requirments for an airline to compensate for delays — and without knowing the reason it is even harder — if it is weather there is no compensation.

What I see is problematic was the insistence to be put on the IAD to LAS Flight despite their being no seats on the LAS SJC flight. So it sounds like you were waitlisted or there was a mistake, but the problem was that there was no seat to give you as it was overbooked.

The truth is all the airline has to do is put the passenger on the next available flight or refund the ticket in case of the delay/cancellation. And it is harder with the low cost carriers as they have fewer flights and less options.

I do not think they are obligated to pay for the Delta ticket as you insisted on being booked when there were no confirmed seats. And you chose not to fly on the very delayed flight which did eventually take off — and get to San Jose but it was a red eye. I hate the red eye flights so I would not have wanted it either.

Maybe some others have more experience with Frontier but I am not overly optimistic.

Sep 19, 2015
Frontier is an ultra low cost carrier with minimal customer service and often not a lot of routes. So when there is a problem it is a mess.

How much was your ticket? If it was one of the 100 r/t they may not be generous.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Christina is correct. When a flight is delayed or canceled the airline had to either put you on the next AVAILABLE flight or refund your ticket.

If the flight delay was related to something the airline could control- such as flight time out or the plan needing repair- they might owe your for a hotel or meals. If it was due to weather - either your airport or one you are flying to or you would be flying into a storm- they aren’t under any obligation to provide anything. You need to find out exactly why the first flight was canceled. If it was weather- they don’t owe you for the hotel. If it was due to an issue of theirs- they do owe you for the hotel.

This is one of the downsides to booking with a highly discounted air carrier. They don’t have extra planes going out the same day to the same itinerary on many cases and other legacy airlines won’t co-op with them.

Once you accept another itinerary, the obligation to get you back to your original destination ends. If you accepted the change to the other airport- they don’t have an obligation to get to to the original anymore.

They do owe you for the flight leg that they didn’t book properly.

Did you have travel insurance? That can reimburse you for the hotel and for the extra costs for the Delta flight.

Jun 4, 2018
Thank you Neil, Christina on your responses.

(1) The ticket was priced ~$140/person.
(2) The agents on the phone were not forthcoming with the reasons for the delay, any other specific ways to find this out?
(3) Unfortunately I didn't have travel insurance and that's something that I realized when I was stranded in LAS.

Regards
Venky