Frigidaire side-by-side refrigerator

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 31, 2018
Hello,
I purchased a side-by-side Frigidaire Gallery refrigerator from a local appliance store (Warner's Stellian) in Coon Rapids, MN - purchase date was January of 2016.

A few weeks ago, we started seeing puddles of water in front of the fridge. After pulling out the fridge, I discovered the back to be very hot, and one of the water lines was touching the condensor coil, melting the water line and causing the leak.

I called a repair person to repair the leak. While doing so he said that the condensor fan was not running. After pulling the condensor fan out, it was all chewed up and the fan housing was cracked. There was also a large dent in the bottom frame of the refrigerator. The lack of a fan running caused the condensor to overheat and melt the water line. The cost of repairs was $140.

After he repaired the water line and replaced the fan blade, everything seemed to be working again. The next morning, I took my son to school and when I came home, there were HUGE puddles of water all over my wood kitchen floor. I immediately pulled out the fridge again, and the water line had become disconnected from the junction box where the water comes in from the house main.
I turned off the water main and began mopping up the water. We have a wood floor, so it began cupping and buckling.

After consulting with a contractor, I initiated a homeowner's insurance claim the same day, as the now damaged wood floor needed to be replaced.

Homeowner's insurance is going to pay for the damaged flooring and cabinet surrounding the fridge, minus my $1000 deductible.

I have since had a second repair person (at Frigidaire's request) come out and document and repair the second water leak, at a cost to me of $200.

I have spent the past few weeks trying to get either Warners' Stellian or Frigidaire to compensate me for SOMETHING related to these damages, replace the unit, or pay my insurance deductible. After being bounced back and forth between customer service departments of both companies, I am informed there is nothing either one of them can do. The unit only had a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

Am I just out of luck here or do I have ANY recourse to try to recoup the $340 in repairs, $1000 deductible, or get my fridge replaced? I will never turn the water to that fridge on again, for fear of a bigger leak down the road. I feel like it was either dropped/dented upon installation, or defective. Both the installer and Frigidare say no.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The refrigerator was out of warranty, correct? Appliances break down- it happens. If you didn’t have an extended warranty I don’t see how Frigidaire is responsible. I think you need to focus on the appliance repair company that didn’t fix it properly. Did they warrant their work?

May 31, 2018
The refrigerator was out of warranty, correct? Appliances break down- it happens. If you didn’t have an extended warranty I don’t see how Frigidaire is responsible. I think you need to focus on the appliance repair company that didn’t fix it properly. Did they warrant their work?
I don't know, but my main issue is with the core cause, which was the condenser fan that failed. I realize appliances fail but 2.5 years does not seem like a long life span to me.

Mar 14, 2018
Hello,
I purchased a side-by-side Frigidaire Gallery refrigerator from a local appliance store (Warner's Stellian) in Coon Rapids, MN - purchase date was January of 2016.

A few weeks ago, we started seeing puddles of water in front of the fridge. After pulling out the fridge, I discovered the back to be very hot, and one of the water lines was touching the condensor coil, melting the water line and causing the leak.

I called a repair person to repair the leak. While doing so he said that the condensor fan was not running. After pulling the condensor fan out, it was all chewed up and the fan housing was cracked. There was also a large dent in the bottom frame of the refrigerator. The lack of a fan running caused the condensor to overheat and melt the water line. The cost of repairs was $140.

After he repaired the water line and replaced the fan blade, everything seemed to be working again. The next morning, I took my son to school and when I came home, there were HUGE puddles of water all over my wood kitchen floor. I immediately pulled out the fridge again, and the water line had become disconnected from the junction box where the water comes in from the house main.
I turned off the water main and began mopping up the water. We have a wood floor, so it began cupping and buckling.

After consulting with a contractor, I initiated a homeowner's insurance claim the same day, as the now damaged wood floor needed to be replaced.

Homeowner's insurance is going to pay for the damaged flooring and cabinet surrounding the fridge, minus my $1000 deductible.

I have since had a second repair person (at Frigidaire's request) come out and document and repair the second water leak, at a cost to me of $200.

I have spent the past few weeks trying to get either Warners' Stellian or Frigidaire to compensate me for SOMETHING related to these damages, replace the unit, or pay my insurance deductible. After being bounced back and forth between customer service departments of both companies, I am informed there is nothing either one of them can do. The unit only had a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

Am I just out of luck here or do I have ANY recourse to try to recoup the $340 in repairs, $1000 deductible, or get my fridge replaced? I will never turn the water to that fridge on again, for fear of a bigger leak down the road. I feel like it was either dropped/dented upon installation, or defective. Both the installer and Frigidare say no.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
It sounds to me like the first repairman didn't properly reconnect the water line. which directly led to the damage. I would pursue a claim against them. Assuming they're licensed, they probably have insurance for just this reason.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don't know, but my main issue is with the core cause, which was the condenser fan that failed. I realize appliances fail but 2.5 years does not seem like a long life span to me.
But this is why they sell extended warranties- appliances are not made the way they used to be- they put more and more into appliances nowadays and the quality has gone down.

Have you done any research on the internet to see if this is a known problem with your model?