Fraud on my AAdvantage account

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 24, 2020
Hopefully someone can help me here.

My miles were fraudulently taken from my account and American Airlines is refusing to reinstate the miles since too much time has passed since the fraudulent activity. 108,000 miles were stolen from my account in November 2018 and I didn't realize it until November 2019. I know it seems like a long time, but it was an account that wasn't used very often. I was instructed by the AAdvantage department in November 2019 that I would be contacted by the fraud department within a few days and my miles would be reinstated within 30 days. I called back mid December and the representative indicated this was not the case and I needed to file a police report and submit to the fraud department within 30 days of my initial call. The first representative clearly was not trained properly and put me on a wild goose chase. I then called yesterday and the manager said there was nothing that I can do since too much time had past and basically hung up on me.

I'm looking for assistance on what proper steps should be taken.

Thanks!

Jun 29, 2016
Silicon Valley California
Sorry this happened. There is a reason for checking all statements every month just like credit card statements. Would you be able to dispute a transaction for fradulent airline tickets bought a year ago? More than likely not. 90 days and less more than likely yes. Aa thinks you aithorizes the by now more than likely flown flights. Can you prove you never flown on those flights?

I think this is a lesson to learn. On the upside at least its not $108,0000 dollars

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Sorry this happened. There is a reason for checking all statements every month just like credit card statements. Would you be able to dispute a transaction for fradulent airline tickets bought a year ago? More than likely not. 90 days and less more than likely yes. Aa thinks you aithorizes the by now more than likely flown flights. Can you prove you never flown on those flights?

I think this is a lesson to learn. On the upside at least its not $108,0000 dollars
Loyalty program accounts do not issue statements every month.

Reactions: Neil Maley

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is quite awful, Brad. It will be difficult to get those miles back I'm afraid. Loyalty programs are for frequent customers. Airlines and hotels don't have a great deal of empathy for people who don't use their accounts regularly. Skippy posted a couple of links for you to pursue. When dealing with AA, you should keep it all in writing. Make a concise list, in chronological order, of the facts. Do not accuse AA of giving you wrong information, but word it in such a way that your point comes through. Airlines are bombarded with requests like yours ... if you want to post a draft of your letter, we'll be happy to critique it.

Sep 19, 2015
If one has subscribed to AA emails, AAdvantage sends regular statements -- and AA does list the expiration date. I do not regularly fly AA -- my miles are kept alive from domestic UK flights on BA.

More details are needed; was the account hacked? When miles are redeemed an email should be sent but hackers often change the email.

There is a major difference between a hack and expiration.

Feb 3, 2017
Loyalty program accounts do not issue statements every month.
I get an email every month from the 4 such programs (Delta, Emirates, JetBlue, Alitalia) I have - which is good as it reminds me about them. It's good to know some others don't send such notifications

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I get statements Every month for my AA account. It’s something you have to Opt into on the website. I get those monthly stmts even it I have no activity.

Reactions: Mel65 and VoR61

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
I get emails/statements for my Mileage Plus account regularly as well as additional emails telling me if miles are due to expire, etc.. I cannot imagine a year going by without ever having checked my account, but I also don't go for an entire year without flying so I'm logging in and using miles for upgrades etc.. with some measure of consistency, as well.

Reactions: Sam
Nov 27, 2019
I'd recommend Awardwallet (awardwallet.com). Lets you keep track of all your accounts, and will automatically update some (depending on what restrictions the airline puts on them), and will update automatically when the statement comes in (you just have a duplicate statement sent to them). You can have them send you a weekly (or monthly) email noting all the updates to any of your accounts. Saves you having to look at each statement when they come in.

Jan 24, 2020
How were the miles taken? Did they expire or did someone hack your account?

Miles expire after no activity for 18 months. When was the last time you earned miles before they disappeared?
I apologize for not specifying. My account was hacked and the miles were stolen.

Jan 24, 2020
If one has subscribed to AA emails, AAdvantage sends regular statements -- and AA does list the expiration date. I do not regularly fly AA -- my miles are kept alive from domestic UK flights on BA.

More details are needed; was the account hacked? When miles are redeemed an email should be sent but hackers often change the email.

There is a major difference between a hack and expiration.
They were hacked and correct, the thief changed my email address.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
All we can advise is to use our company contacts for AA. One thing we don’t deal with is missing loyalty points. From our FAQ:

Are there any cases you don’t mediate?

Yes. Here’s a partial list:

• Airfares that go up after selecting a flight option (caching).
  • Airline seat comfort issues, including in-flight entertainment systems that don’t work.
  • Any case involving legal action against a company or customer.
  • Asking a company to honor an obvious price error.
  • Car rental damage cases.
  • Cases submitted on behalf of a third party.
  • Compensation for delays that resulted in lost vacation or work days.
  • Getting a refund for a nonrefundable airline ticket or hotel room.
  • Missing or expired loyalty points.
  • Recently lost or misplaced luggage.
  • Visa/passport problems that led to denied boarding.

Sep 19, 2015
1 year and is why they denied it.
One year post theft is hard to deal with. The main blog page had a similar case and the advocate Michelle Couch-Friedman was not able to get the full balance restored either.

All we can advise is to use the contacts, perhaps a small amount will be given as a good will gesture.