Ford Fusion 2013 - Cortese Ford Thumbs Down

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 1, 2018
My daughter purchased a 2013 Ford Fusion last year. Immediately after the purchase, the vehicle started jerking. She took the vehicle back to the dealership, they gave her a rental and was quite courteous and accommodating. A year later, yesterday 2/28/18 in fact, the vehicle would not shift gears. She contacted the dealership and they instructed her to bring it in. Knowing that it was not an issue that she caused, I trusted that they would fix the problem again for her.

The vehicle sat all day 3/1/18 until almost 3:30, and I called several times. Each time she called, they didn't have an assessment of the car. Finally, she was told what the problem was, and they mentioned all these other problems with the vehicle. She told them not to touch it...and that she didn't trust them. She stated that she would pick up the vehicle. They said that it would be 100.00. She never received a paper stating that they would charge her, nor did she sign anything when they took the car. She doesn't have any documentation to support what they are saying. I, (Mom) called three times and to no avail - no answer. My daughter wants her car off their lot, but I think they are trying to take advantage of her. They never told her about a charge - which is totally unfair.

At this point, I would consider paying 50.00 as a compromise because their customer service is poor and unethical.

Dealership: Cortese Ford
West Henrietta NY

Feb 28, 2017
That $100 sounds like a diagnostic fee. Would probably be waived if they did the repairs. Strange that she wasn't asked to sign any paperwork when she left the car, my dealer even has me sign paperwork for a simple oil change.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@C. Davis Not sure in your state but in mine, you have to sign a document authorizing work when you drop off the vehicle. Last time I did, the diagnostic fee was clearly labelled even on a warranty claim.

Are you sure she didn't sign anything?

Mar 1, 2018
@C. Davis Not sure in your state but in mine, you have to sign a document authorizing work when you drop off the vehicle. Last time I did, the diagnostic fee was clearly labelled even on a warranty claim.

Are you sure she didn't sign anything?
Exactly..everytime I take my lincoln to the shop, they obtain my signature before performing any type of service. They didn't give her anything. Took her key and she left. It's really not about the money - it's the principle of the matter

Mar 1, 2018
That $100 sounds like a diagnostic fee. Would probably be waived if they did the repairs. Strange that she wasn't asked to sign any paperwork when she left the car, my dealer even has me sign paperwork for a simple oil change.
That is what I'm upset about - they didn't give her any documentation to tell her that she will be charged. They slipped up and was so fast to get her car off the tow truck and to the back of the building - they didn't processed thing correctly.

Mar 1, 2018
Is there a warranty on this car and if so what does it say? The $100 sounds like a warranty deductible, and if so would be legitimate.
No warranty - it expired. The same problem occurred last year, but it was jerking it was under warranty so they fixed it. I truly believe this car had a transmission problems- the jerking was the indicator. I guess at this point - I would compromise and pay 50.00 because they were at fault for not disclosing or issuing documentation regarding the fee.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
Is there a sign in the service area that states there is a diagnostic fee? My dealership has that on the wall where you drop the car off and then where you wait.

Jan 6, 2015
At this point, I suggest that she (not you) speak with the General Manager. I think she should point out the following:
  • That no paperwork was offered or signed at the time the car was dropped off
  • There was no indication of a "mandatory" charge at that time
  • That she believes this to be an extension of the previous issue and request that it be fixed for free as a goodwill gesture
General Managers do work with corporate management in these cases to cover certain issues. At the very least they might drop the $100 altogether ..

Mar 1, 2018
At this point, I suggest that she (not you) speak with the General Manager. I think she should point out the following:
  • That no paperwork was offered or signed at the time the car was dropped off
  • There was no indication of a "mandatory" charge at that time
  • That she believes this to be an extension of the previous issue and request that it be fixed for free as a goodwill gesture
General Managers do work with corporate management in these cases to cover certain issues. At the very least they might drop the $100 altogether ..
Thank you - I will forward this to her. It's so hard for me not to step in and handle it...I need to step back. Thank you - I will print out your suggestions and give them to my daughter. I appreciate the time you took to assist. C

Mar 1, 2018
Is there a sign in the service area that states there is a diagnostic fee? My dealership has that on the wall where you drop the car off and then where you wait.
If there is a sign, she didn't see it because she gave the key to the guy when he came out after she got out of the tow truck. She came to my car.

Dec 11, 2016
I have never had to sign paperwork when dropping off my car at a mechanic in my state, however they DO have a sign listing the per hour diagnostic fee in advance.

If I may ask, why are you so convinced it is the same issue? Did the mechanic SAY it was the same issue? If the same part they replaced a year before failed, is that part under warranty? Keep in mind that you're discussing a used car, and an issue that occurred an entire year after the first issue was resolved. I understand being frustrated with the situation, but I'm a little surprised at the insistence that the dealership is to blame and that their time isn't worth anything. If the car warranty is expired, then the dealership is acting just like any other mechanic, who would absolutely charge you a fee for their time and expertise to evaluate the car.

Mar 1, 2018
I have never had to sign paperwork when dropping off my car at a mechanic in my state, however, they DO have a sign listing the per hour diagnostic fee in advance.

If I may ask, why are you so convinced it is the same issue? Did the mechanic SAY it was the same issue? If the same part they replaced a year before failed, is that part under warranty? Keep in mind that you're discussing a used car, and an issue that occurred an entire year after the first issue was resolved. I understand being frustrated with the situation, but I'm a little surprised at the insistence that the dealership is to blame and that their time isn't worth anything. If the car warranty is expired, then the dealership is acting just like any other mechanic, who would absolutely charge you a fee for their time and expertise to evaluate the car.
Hello, I seem to believe the two are related because of the jerking issues after the vehicle were purchased, and the current transmission issues. The issue is she never went into the office, and the service advisor never stated anything....he just took her key - how would she know? It's the principle of the matter - and I understand your point about the mechanics time. So, look at the time frame - 3:30 the vehicle was still sitting - wasn't assessed. By 4:00 or a little before - my daughter gets a call. So, tell me - how much time went into the diagnostic testing? Just baffles me - I want to say - no time but they want to charge for a full hour. Not fair.

Mar 1, 2018
Good morning everyone. Thank you very much for your comments. Update: I sent a letter to the general manager on Saturday because that's what I do. I also copied in a few higher executives. My daughter went to the dealership to get her car this morning. The general manager was unavailable to speak with her but sent out another manager. The manager stated, since you were not informed of the fee, we do not expect you to pay. You can retrieve your vehicle. This matter has been resolved, and I will be sending the general manager a thank you note. My letters work wonders because I focus on the facts. Thank you all - have a great day.

Mar 1, 2018
Word to the wise: The tow truck picked-up the vehicle and specifically told my daughter what was wrong with the car. The cable popped off. He continued on to tell her that she just needed a cap to secure the cable and instructed her to never bring the car to them again. What a nice guy!! Wow...the dealership was going to charge her 380.00 to secure the cable. Interesting. So, needless to say, we will not be going back to Cortese Ford.

Jan 6, 2015
I'm going to suggest that, after the car is repaired, you present the details to the GM who helped you. He/she may not aware of the problem but would likely want to correct it, which cannot happen unless he/she knows. Since the GM assisted you, this is to me a reasonable courtesy on you/your daughter's part ...

Mar 1, 2018
I'm going to suggest that, after the car is repaired, you present the details to the GM who helped you. He/she may not aware of the problem but would likely want to correct it, which cannot happen unless he/she knows. Since the GM assisted you, this is to me a reasonable courtesy on you/your daughter's part ...
Will do and thank you.