Followed the recommended steps, still sent to Collections!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 17, 2018
Hi everyone---still no word from anyone. In my letter to the Executive Offices, I did give them 10 business days to provide the now twice requested information.

To that end, is it recommended to (on day 10) send them another letter (via email? snail?) to let them know I consider this matter closed or just keep my mouth shut.

I see all these folks posting that they received a phone call right away from contacting the EO...I'm genuinely shocked they can't be bothered with me :)

Jan 17, 2018
WOW. Got a response from the Collections Agency. They sent ONLY a bill as "verification."

A bill is useless. I can make a bill for just about anything for just about anyone. I want the proof I have requested multiple times, which they cannot send as it doesn't exist. I'm completely at a loss here. Anyone have suggestions for my next step?

Thank you!

Jan 17, 2018
Yes, but...
"An Enterprise contact notes that Nicholson is not in a “customer-facing” position and should not be contacted with customer service problems. We have agreed to note that."

I did not take that as welcoming toward emails, so I bypassed contacting her!

Sep 19, 2015
WEll here is an article from one of the recovery agents ie collections from Auto Rental News -- this company will take people to court. So I would not say that these companies will never file a lawsuit. Purco filed a lawsuit over lose of use charge of $278 and the administrative fee of $100 for a total of $378. The renter refused to pay and it went to court, the state supreme court, and the renter lost and was ordered to pay $247,890 in attorneys fees over a $378 bill for a rental from National. I think Chris Elliott had mentioned this case in an article a few years ago.

January 6, 2014 in Legislative

PurCo Fleet Services has achieved another litigation victory when it comes to loss-of-use and administrative fees.

On Jan. 2, the district judge in PurCo v. Koenig ordered renter Judith Koenig to pay PurCo $247,890 in attorney’s fees and $11,120.25 in litigation costs for prevailing on its claim of $378 in loss-of-use damages and a contractual administrative fee. These amounts represent the fees and costs incurred by PurCo in the suit.

Jan 17, 2018
WEll here is an article from one of the recovery agents ie collections from Auto Rental News -- this company will take people to court. So I would not say that these companies will never file a lawsuit. .
Well, I guess I had better get my attorney involved then, because there's no way they are extorting money from me for a fraudulent claim! They refuse to produce the proof I have requested, which is a pretty clear indication they have none. I didn't damage this car in any way, shape or form, and I will not take financial responsibility for something I did not do. Shameful, really....but I guess there wouldn't be a forum full of people asking for advice fighting this stuff if it were not!

Feb 9, 2016
did the 'collections agency' receive the collections items with the attached dispute of debt?

in all correspondence to everyone, make sure you re iterate, over and over again, you did not cause this damage, you dispute this debt and you keep asking for documentation that will uphold their claim but have yet to receive acknowledgment that you have asked, and the documentation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Well, I guess I had better get my attorney involved then, because there's no way they are extorting money from me for a fraudulent claim! They refuse to produce the proof I have requested, which is a pretty clear indication they have none. I didn't damage this car in any way, shape or form, and I will not take financial responsibility for something I did not do. Shameful, really....but I guess there wouldn't be a forum full of people asking for advice fighting this stuff if it were not!
Before you spend money on an attorney, make sure you finish the entire chain of executives in writing. You might be able to get this dismissed without having to pay an attorney.

Jan 17, 2018
did the 'collections agency' receive the collections items with the attached dispute of debt?

in all correspondence to everyone, make sure you re iterate, over and over again, you did not cause this damage, you dispute this debt and you keep asking for documentation that will uphold their claim but have yet to receive acknowledgment that you have asked, and the documentation.
I sent a letter worded quite similarly to a suggested format in this thread to BOTH the collections agency (with proof of delivery) and copied the Executive Offices of National. I definitely stated in several ways that I have no responsibility to any damage as I did not create any! Sigh. I suppose I will email and snail mail the EO again. I wonder if I should get my Credit Card involved.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis

When writing the company it would be better to state that the vehicle was returned with no damage, rather than stating I didn't damage or cause the damage. By stating the latter, you are not contesting that there wasn't damage when it was returned, just that you didn't cause the damage. The difference here is if you didn't purchase the damage waiver offered by the rental agency, then you may be liable to the rental company for any damage that occurred during the rental period (whether or not it was directly caused by you or someone else).

Sep 19, 2015

Kelly I only gave that article to show how extreme the collection agencies can be. I have rented cars for decades and these sorts of "damage" claims have increased massively only in the last 10 years. And given the amount of claims that are dropped I do believe there is a lot of dishonorable behavior going on with these collection agencies. Do not give up, but be aware of how ruthless these agencies can be.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sending a copy of a letter to the Executives is not how we recommend. Our Post advises you to write TO them. If you have only sent copies of your letter to the agency, I suggest starting over with the first executive, tell them the story and appeal to them to stop this since you did not damage the car and they have not sent you any proof. Please use our instructions exactly as they are written for the best outcome if you only sent them copies of your letter.

Jan 17, 2018
I think perhaps this thread has gotten long and things are lost.

To review: I followed the steps exactly. Started with email to customer service (no response,) escalated with a personal email to the two executives that are listed that are stated to accept email (no response,) received the letter from collections, sent them a letter via snail mail with delivery confirmation AND copied by snail mail the EO with the same letter sent to collections. Response from collections with a copy of a bill only.

By example, I stated:
"Please be advised that during my entire rental period no damage was done to the car, nor was any damage brought to my attention at the time of pick up or return."
and
"My goal is to assist you in figuring out who damaged this car as it was in no way damaged at any time by me!"

So I guess I've stated both? I don't know. I will reach out to the Executive who is stated to not do "customer service" as the other two have been silent.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you for clarifying. I am frankly stumped because this is the first time we have heard from someone saying that none of the executives responded. If you don't get a response from this last person, you can go to the HELP screens and request help again stating you wrote all the way up the executive chain and had no response.

The writers usually can't do much more with these type of cases though.