1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Flight time changed, can't make connection

Discussion in 'Expedia' started by Nat205, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Nat205

I booked flights through Expedia, then booked the final leg of my trip through AA. It was much cheaper that way.
    My Expedia flights were ticketed through BA. BA has now changed the departure time of my return trip by 1 hour 50 minutes earlier. That only leaves me 35 minutes to make my connection, not enough time. Because my connection is booked on another airline, they are unwilling to make any changes to accommodate my connection, and want me to pay £100 each passenger, plus the price difference in the new reservation.
    Is there anything I can do to get it changed without paying the fees? I'm crushed, been saving for this trip for 2 years, and £300 + is just money I don't have.

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

That's the drawback with not booking everything on one ticket. If you had they would be responsible for rebooking the flights all the way through.

The information you received is absolutely correct. Most of the time the change must be 2 hours or more. They seem to have gotten you by it being less. Each airline has a guideline on how long a change can be before they are forced to offer you a full refund if the time doesn't work for you.

BA's policy is a little ridiculous of delayed more than 5 hours they will offer a refund.

Delayed flights
    • If your flight is delayed for 5 hours or more, you can get a refund for the parts of your journey you did not fly.

Is there any earlier flight they have that would work? I would call back and ask for a supervisor and if you find another flight that works better ask for it.

3. Nat205

Yes, AA has an earlier flight that will allow me to make my connection. If I pay the change fee, I can rebook this. I was on the phone for ages trying to ask if there's any way they will change it without me having to pay for it. It will be less expensive than rebooking my Expedia (BA) flights. I'll probably end up doing that.

It just seems so unfair that they can change my plans without my consent or compensation, but I have to pay them to fix it. I only want the flight at the time and price that I booked and paid for.

4. technomage1

Staff Member Forum Director

More than likely you'll pay the change fee. But there is nothing wrong with begging Expedia or AA for mercy using our company contacts above. Write the first executive on the list a short, polite note. Wait a week, escalate if you dont get a response. Don't write them all at once and don't start with the CEO.

In future I'd suggest using a brick amd mortar travel agent. They're often cheaper or close to self booking and can interline you so you dont run afoul of changes, missed flights, etc.

Also, since you can't afford losing the money, trip insurance would be a really good idea.

Good luck.

Patina likes this.
  5. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I would still try to get a supervisor on the phone to see about refunding. Most airlines will provide a refund for changes of 2 hours - I think 5 hours is excessive.

In the future it is sometimes penny wise and pound foolish to book separate tickets to save a few dollars. Was the price difference if you had booked all on one ticket more than the $300 change
    Fee?

You need to accept this as a learning experience. A travel agent wouldn't have bookec this way and for exactly this reason.

BTW, here is the TSA book of flyers rights:

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

In it is actually says that schedules are not guaranteed and to keep that in mind:

Airlines don't guarantee their schedules, and you should realize this when planning your trip. There are many things that can-and often do-make it impossible for flights to arrive on time. Some of these problems, like bad weather, air traffic delays, and mechanical issues, are hard to predict and often beyond the airlines' control.

6. Nat205

I checked with my travel insurer. This situation isn't covered.

The reason I booked the AA leg separately is my kids had enough air miles for that leg, so for the most part, was free for them. I bought my ticket for that leg at the same time, to keep us together. I couldn't book their award travel on line, as it flagged them up as unaccompanied minors. The cost for flying the whole journey without the award travel was a bit too high, so it seemed to make sense to book it this way, at the time. I would have saved £490 if this had worked out the way I thought it should.

So yes, lesson learned. I thought since I chose AA flights on Expedia, it would all be AA, and wouldn't be a problem, but for some reason, it was actually ticketed through BA, and is a codeshare.

p.s. I did speak with an Expedia supervisor on the phone, without success.

7. technomage1

Staff Member Forum Director

It could be worse. We had one poor poster who self booked to use miles and lost out on a $15,000 Galapagos cruise for her entire family due to not realizing she needed visas. I still just cringe when I recall that.

Neil likes this.
  8. Nat205

I contacted AA again this morning, and changed the first leg of my return flight to an earlier departure. As long as schedules don't change drastically again, I'll make the connection. I had to pay one change fee of £163. There was no fare increase. Didn't have to pay to change the kids flights, as they were on award travel.

I may still ask Expedia to refund this change fee, doubt they will, but you don't get if you don't ask.

9. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Expedia won't refund this- it has nothing to do with any error on their part. But it never hurts to ask.

10. SKroot

We fly frequently from Tucson to Chicago on AA. They have 2 non-stops per day, one that leaves early in the morning and gets in about 11am. and another that leaves about 11am and gets in about 5pm. I had booked the earlier flight as we could arrive early enough to have a half day to spend with friends/family. Shortly after making the reservation, they cancelled the early flight and booked on the later flight, which messed up the plans for that afternoon. I called them and explained the situation. They gave me reference number and told me to call reservations and give them that number. When I did, I was asked what I wanted. I said I wanted the later flight, but the day before, giving us a full day to make plans. Done - no problems, no charges. I was pleasantly surprised. As indicated earlier, if you don't ask, you don't get!

Warren, mmb, Neil and 2 others like this.