1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Flight cancellation - 1306EUR lost

Discussion in 'American Airlines' started by sophCG, Dec 27, 2017.

1. sophCG

Hello American Airlines is the worst company ever!
    We lost 1306euros due to a bad formation of their employees.
    Indeed our flight La Paz-Miami on Tuesday November 28th was cancelled and AA proposed us a other flight on Friday 1st November.... But it was not possible for us to take this flight 3 days later. My boyfriend had meeting on Friday and I had an important medical appointment.
    As the situation was complicated for us the employee at the Airport proposed us to take tickets by our own expenses (La Paz Madrid) with Iberia and he changed the other tickets. In addition he ensured us that the tickets will be refund. Before buying the tickets I called 2 times the customer services. And they confirmed us that the tickets would be refund. The calls were registered....So we bought our ticket. When we arrive at Luxembourg I contacted the customer clients which explained me the steps and confirmed us that it would be ok. And now AA sent me this email : "we are very sorry, but no refund." It's clearly not acceptable to loose 1306EUROs due to their incompetences. They have no consideration for their customers it's a shame!
    For American Airlines it seems easy to request 4 additional days of vacation... For American Airlines it seems easy to have medical appointment. Does American Airlines have an idea of what this amount represents for us?? Is it normal to pay for American Airline's error? It's not funny for us, we have lost 1306euros...

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Can you clarify a few things? Which LaPaz were you flying from? Bolivia or Mexico?

How did you book your tickets? Directly with AA or through a third party?

jsn55 likes this.
  3. Just A Guy

To make sure we're clear on the issue, are the below correct?

1. You were flying from La Paz, Bolivia, to Madrid.
    2. You were flying on American Airlines, and changing planes in Miami.
    3. Your flight from La Paz to Miami was cancelled.
    4. American offered to put you on a flight to Miami three days later, but that was too late for you.
    5. Instead, you booked tickets yourself from La Paz to Madrid on Iberia.

What tickets were you told would be refunded? The original American Airlines ticket? Or were you told by the airport staff that American Airlines would pay for your Iberia tickets?

In other words, can you be more specific about what the €1306 was for?

4. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

This is exactly what I was pointing to.

When a flight is canceled, the airline owes you one of two things: seats son the next AVAILABLE flight, or a refund of your ticket.

If the flight 3 days later was unacceptable, all they owe you is the portion you paid on the unused return ticket. AA must refund you for the unused portion of the ticket. Have you checked your credit card statement to see if they refunded it automatically?

If they didn't, then you need to use our company contacts and request a refund of the unused portion of the ticket. But they won't and don't have to pay for your new tickets if you opt out of waiting for the first flight they have available.

You may have simply misunderstood what they were refunding you.

jsn55, Fenway466, Patina and 2 others like this.