1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Finavia Subcontractor Cotio - Return of Removed Luggage Item

Discussion in 'Airlines' started by Jim007, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Jim007

There was no answer about retrieving the battery.

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Did youw e
    Did you reply and ask him if they still have it and how you can get it back?

3. Jim007

The cost of the provided option of retrieving the battery now exceeds its value. It would have cost 5 Euro if the system of retrieving items had worked at the time.

4. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I suggested several posts ago to just buy another. I wish we could help you further but there is really nothing else we can do.

joycexyz and AMA like this.
  5. Jim007

I was directed to this forum for a different purpose, that being for a more in depth consideration of this matter as others have posted, apart from the obvious replacement that you suggest.
    There was also suggestion that certain contacts were possible, to which I previously replied "I was hoping there might be an acknowledgement of this and perhaps a contact to make this work."
    Perhaps just forget the monetary value of the item for a moment, but if you are suggesting that it is acceptable for the consumer to pay for the consequences of a non-functioning item retrieval system, then I would value others opinions on this.

6. Christina H

Jim007 I do suspect that the company rushed to market and likely needed time for refinement -- and there is confusion.

Finnair has nothing to do with this.

Finnavia is the one that confiscates items and actually searches your luggage and theoretically hands them off to Cotio.

When was your flight?

Re: Cotio. I only see two email contacts -- one a general info@ and the second for the CEO. You have already been in contact with the CEO and have had no resolution. I am not sure who else there is to contact within the company and no one is above the CEO.

You may want to look into the Consumer Disputes Board in Helsinki or the KKV Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority -- and see if either of them can help.

Neil and Patina like this.
  7. Jim007

Thank you Christina. I am aware of the different companies in evolved and their roles - the Consumer Disputes Board and KKV Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority are welcome suggestions.

8. mmb

mmb

Just to play devil's advocate here --
    Would you have been ok with the confiscation and a note saying, 'sorry, we took it and you cannot get it back as it was improper for you to have In your checked luggage.' ?
    I'm not sure that I think it is mandatory for a company to provide return services when rules are not followed. All of that costs them money and when not successful causes situations like this and subsequent bad feelings.
    The TSA disallows certain items when boarding a plane. They prohibit the item but do not provide and further assistance past telling you to put it in checked baggage (probably too late for that) or to mail it to yourself (probably not very feasible either, in an airport when you need to get to the gate and board.)

joycexyz likes this.
  9. Carrie Livingston

Staff Member Advocate

Oddly enough, years ago (maybe 2005) had a Zippo lighter that was my recently deceased grandmothers and tried to fly with it. Phoenix airport had a UPS place (not full fledged but a booth in the airport) where you could ship these prohibited items back home and not have them confiscated. Not sure if they still offer that service but what a money-maker if they did.

10. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Jim, we try to help everyone but we aren't able to assist in every case.

The issues here are that his didn't happen in the US, we don't have company contacts for every company and this company doesn't even correspond in English. And then there are regulations, like TSA rules that state this is a prohibited item. So there are times that our hands are tied.

If this happened in the US I am the same thing wouldn't happen because you can't mail batteries so you'd need a shipment company that specializes in this type of shipping. But at least we would be able to direct you to agencies that correspond in English so you could at least understand what they were saying.

11. Jim007

Thanks mmb. Probably better not to offer a service rather than to provide a dysfunctional service.

mmb and Patina like this.
  12. Jim007

Thanks for the perspective Neil. But I don't think this has anything to do with whether this happened in the US, or not.

The positive responses received have been beneficial and useful suggestions have been provided, but the 'its all too hard' perspective doesn't add anything.